Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

waterproofing esc and rx

Old 06-02-2010, 04:21 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waterproofing esc and rx

Hi All,

I put floats on my e-flite Apprentice for flying off the water. There are air passage ways from the firewall to the fuselage interior and from the bottom of the fuselage to the interior for air flow to cool the electronics. Is there a way I can waterproof the esc and rx without compromising the cooling of each one? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2010, 05:37 PM
flyingdan
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: waterproofing esc and rx

Yes

There is a product called Boeshield T-9 It is a water proofing product made by Boeing Co. You can find it a Marine shops. One of the advertising tools they use is to have a Television set immersed in a tank of this liquid while the set is running.

I have used it on all of my water birds and I fly water birds everyday in my business. If you dunk the motor etc. just blow it out with compressed air or just wait until the next day for it to dry. It will start right up with out letting out the secret smoke.

Just spray the motor, ESC and even the battery with IT, let it drip out and towel dry, good to go.

Dan
Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 PM
tacx

Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I know I can waterproof the esc, but my concern is compromising the cooling. I can silicon both ends of the shink wrap, where the wires come out, which will keep out the water, but will this prevent the air flow from getting to the inside of the esc?
Old 06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
flyingdan
My Feedback: (5)

Hi

No it will NOT compromise the cooling at all, just leave the ends of the heat shrink open as it comes out of the box, if you are worried about splashing into and onto the ESC just make up a guard of some type, I honestly have an exposed ESC and it gets splashed all the time and keeps on working without fail,,,, Spray the Receiver too it will keep on working no problem.

Dan
Old 06-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Hauling-A
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: tacx

Hi All,

I put floats on my e-flite Apprentice for flying off the water. There are air passage ways from the firewall to the fuselage interior and from the bottom of the fuselage to the interior for air flow to cool the electronics. Is there a way I can waterproof the esc and rx without compromising the cooling of each one? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Corrosion X also works, You can usually find it at Ace hardware. Just dunk the following in the liquid and then dry as much as you can with a paper towel. Then let them dry for a day or two. You can use it on the motor, Rx and ESC, but don't use it on the servo's or battery.

If any of the electronics get soaking wet, just let them dry out for a day.

I've flown a Foamy 3D Sniper that has all the electronics exposed to the water and never had problems.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31687.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	1447319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qm36153.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1447320  
Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 PM
tacx