Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
JR/Spektrum DSM(2)
64.66%
Futaba FASST
25.86%
Hitec AFHSS
4.31%
XPS
5.17%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

What 2.4GHz brand have you HAD problems with?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:56 AM
victorzamora

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 2.4GHz brand have you HAD problems with?

Hey guys....I mean problem as in, the receiver just stopped linking to the transmitter and caused a crash. I didn't want to use the word lockout, because a lot of the failures aren't going to their preset failsafe modes.

I'm just trying to get solid numbers and sift through the "mine works great" that are plaguing other threads. Post specific issues, but only vote if YOU have had an issue.

If you vote, please give a brief description of what went on and what system you're using. Any information would be much appreciated.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:27 AM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What 2.4GHz brand have you HAD problems with?

my Futaba 6EX 2.4 was rock solid.
my Futaba 12Z is rock solid, but the 14 ch Rx it came with was not......Long Story.
i use 608 and 6008's with the 12Z now and have not had 1 single issue. i did in fact maiden a new plane this last Sunday and i completely forgot to range check it as i always do. that's how much confidence the new Rx's have instilled in me.
no one else has had issues with their Futaba 2.4 systems.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM
victorzamora

You're literally the only FASST crash I've heard of so far (there are a couple others, but those were bogus claims).

What happened? We have time for a "long story" .
Old 06-08-2010, 12:45 PM
airbusdrvr

The statistical problem with a poll like this is that one would expect to hear more reports from the largest segment of the sample. Jaywalking can be defended because more pedestrians are hit in cross walks than are jay walking pedestrians. However, that leaves out the fact that a significantly larger number of people use cross walks. Therefore, the percentage of cross walkers hit is small vs. jaywalkers. So in this poll one would expect the system used by the largest number of people to also have the largest number of reports.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

The statistical problem with a poll like this is that one would expect to hear more reports from the largest segment of the sample. Jaywalking can be defended because more pedestrians are hit in cross walks than are jay walking pedestrians. However, that leaves out the fact that a significantly larger number of people use cross walks. Therefore, the percentage of cross walkers hit is small vs. jaywalkers. So in this poll one would expect the system used by the largest number of people to also have the largest number of reports.
typical[&o]
Old 06-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need another block in your poll for those who have had no problems. I have Futaba, Airtronics and Spectrum and have never had a problem with any of them but I am careful to be sure to use adequate wire sizes and good switches. I have only used 4 cell batteries as well, all without a drop out problem and most of the flights on large (.60 thru Quadra 75cc sized planes).
Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
victorzamora

ORIGINAL: summerwind

ORIGINAL: airbusdrvr

typical[&o]
It's all good Summerwind, he probably flies JR and we know better! About the issue, you're right...I was going to post that in the first post but couldn't quite figure out how to word it. either way, Futaba and JR/Spektrum claims will be compared rather similarly as they are the same "Class" of company, in both size and quality. Hitec is a newcomer to the field, and XPS isn't new but due to their lack of name there are less people flying. I was going to compare mostly JR/Futaba...but decided to put the others in the poll just because.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:54 PM
victorzamora

ORIGINAL: Rodney

You need another block in your poll for those who have had no problems. I have Futaba, Airtronics and Spectrum and have never had a problem with any of them but I am careful to be sure to use adequate wire sizes and good switches. I have only used 4 cell batteries as well, all without a drop out problem and most of the flights on large (.60 thru Quadra 75cc sized planes).
We all know that there are tons of people without problems, I'm just trying to figure out where most of the problems are. If you go back to the first post, you'll see that this Thread is here because people keep mentioning how they want numbers of cases and how often people complain about saying that they don't have issues. I've been flying FASST since the first batch of 10C's came out without as much as a HINT of an issue...but that's not what matters.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:56 PM
victorzamora

my Futaba 6EX 2.4 was rock solid.
my Futaba 12Z is rock solid, but the 14 ch Rx it came with was not......Long Story.
i use 608 and 6008's with the 12Z now and have not had 1 single issue. i did in fact maiden a new plane this last Sunday and i completely forgot to range check it as i always do. that's how much confidence the new Rx's have instilled in me.
no one else has had issues with their Futaba 2.4 systems.
Summerwind, thanks for letting me know. I know you didn't post it here for fear of getting it started...but I feel like I've got to mention it.

For those wondering, Summerwind's issue was a heat-issue that has been fixed with the dotted receivers. All of my receivers are dotted. Only the first few weren't. Futaba hasn't quite admitted to it, but they have fixed it....so hopefully that can be the last of that discussion.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 PM
HunkaJunk

Where is the option for ZERO problems? OK. I had one lockout due to a low receiver battery (pilot error) but other than that, thousands of flights with no trouble, I fly JR / Spektrum.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:25 PM
victorzamora

Like I said already....tons of people are having good luck. I'm tallying who is NOT having luck. "Other" means another company, not that you're not having issues.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 PM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had problems with Futaba 6EX 2.4 - after about one and a half years of use the elevator pot stopped working - the elevator servo was jittering from the Tx, sent it for service and they fixed it under warranty.
It was the first 2.4 systems batch from futaba - the 607 Rx consumed alot of juice - 4 flights and had to charge.
The 6EX was made in china, those that made in taiwan like the 7C are much more solid, the Rx's made in taiwan.

It was also time for me to get a high end radio system so before buying more Rx's, because of price of futaba Rx'$$ and price of high end Tx'$$$ I jumped the futaba ship and went hitec.
I'm sure we will have issues with hitec too and for now its hard to find Rx's but absences of hitec Rx's is gonna be solved soon I believe.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:01 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

might be fun to have a comparison poll - "what brand of 2.4GHz equipment have you FLOWN with?" Except I don't know how to do polls.. might be fun to see what everyone is using
Old 06-09-2010, 12:09 AM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

It's all good Summerwind, he probably flies JR and we know better!
This kind of fishing sure is useful.

The Ford vs. Chevy thing does get old after a while. The signal to noise ratio in these 2.4ghz threads is awful because of it.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 AM
victorzamora

ORIGINAL: MikeL

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

It's all good Summerwind, he probably flies JR and we know better!
This kind of fishing sure is useful.

The Ford vs. Chevy thing does get old after a while. The signal to noise ratio in these 2.4ghz threads is awful because of it.

Just a prod, all in good fun.

@fizzwater, just click on "New Poll" at the top of every list of threads. Pretty self-explanatory from there. You've certainly got a point, too.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:49 AM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: Alex7403

I had problems with Futaba 6EX 2.4 - after about one and a half years of use the elevator pot stopped working - the elevator servo was jittering from the Tx, sent it for service and they fixed it under warranty.
It was the first 2.4 systems batch from futaba - the 607 Rx consumed alot of juice - 4 flights and had to charge.
The 6EX was made in china, those that made in taiwan like the 7C are much more solid, the Rx's made in taiwan.

It was also time for me to get a high end radio system so before buying more Rx's, because of price of futaba Rx'$$ and price of high end Tx'$$$ I jumped the futaba ship and went hitec.
I'm sure we will have issues with hitec too and for now its hard to find Rx's but absences of hitec Rx's is gonna be solved soon I believe.
that's funny, the first batch of 6EX 2.4's came with a 606 Rx. the 607 wasn't out yet.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Nitro777

Flew 4 basic sport planes over a span of 4 months with DSM2 set up..........4 planes crashed with DSM2 set up. Had many "professionals" , several who swear by DSM2, look at the system (including sending it back to the manufacturer).  Everyone said everything was perfectly fine. I laughed......Switched to FASST.  Been flying for 7 months with this system and not even a hiccup.  Literally all of the same epuipment from the crashed aircraft (servos, batteries, switches, wires, motors, engines) are in my current flight worthy aircraft so I am well persuaded that it wasn't my other equipment. All of my aircraft are still in perfect condition after many good days at the flying field.  I am 150% convinced the current FASST is a great system and I will stay loyal to it for the rest of my flying days.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Hibrass
My Feedback: (1)

I have a 10c from the first retail batch... The TX / RX performance have been perfect. On the other hand I had to return the TX to Futaba for a new Rudder trim switch and replacement Aileron Pot after only a 18 months of use...

Ed
Old 06-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Captain Terrific
My Feedback: (2)

What are "dotted receivers"?

Dave
Old 06-09-2010, 11:46 AM
airbusdrvr

ORIGINAL: Captain Terrific

What are ''dotted receivers''?

Dave
As I recall, those are the ones that don't fail if they get hot(sun, etc.)
Old 06-09-2010, 12:13 PM
summerwind

What are ''dotted receivers''?

Dave
they are the updated versions. they boot up instantly. the previous undotted and analog servos had a sudden servo (analog) movement during powerup that is no longer present.
Futaba won't admit it it, but independant tests concluded the dotted Rx's to withstand harsher heat environments.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Captain Terrific

Thanks, I just recently bought a futaba 8FG, are there any specific markings on the receiver so I can tell if I have a dotted one?

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

I have only flown Futaba 2.4 but have not had hiccup one since converting in November 2008.

Come to think of it, I flew Airtronics for decades before the conversion to FASST and I have NEVER EVER had a radio problem!! (besides the occasional sevo failure)

Guess I'm just lucky!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:46 PM
summerwind

Thanks, I just recently bought a futaba 8FG, are there any specific markings on the receiver so I can tell if I have a dotted one?

Thanks,

Dave
what is the Rx number?

very unlikely that is anything but an updated version tho.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Captain Terrific

Thanks,

Dave
what is the Rx number?

very unlikely that is anything but an updated version tho.
I'll check it out later today, and let you know tomorrow.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.