Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics 94554 Servo Info?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 05:12 PM
kadamstex
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics 94554 Servo Info?

I picked up some Airtronics servos recently, but I can't find any info on them. They are 94554 servos. Does anyone know any specs on these servos? Torque? Are they ball-bearing? Etc.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 04-07-2002, 03:11 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default Airtronics 94554 Servos

kadamstex,
As I recall, the 94554 servo has a whopping 93 oz. in. torque value, and a ball bearing supported output shaft. (don't recall if they have one ball race or two---) They were the premium Airtronics servo of their time. They also feature a "module" type metal gear train, consisting of several gears that pivot between two brass plates, much like a wrist watch mechanism. They also have a sacraficial nylon gear. They have coreless motors, and have good speed. I do not recall the exact transit speed, but they are pretty quick for a fifteen year old design. They were first offered in the eightys with the Championship Seven radio. That was just before the Module series, and the Vision--the first competition computor radio from Airtronics.
These older servos have the original Airtronics plugs, but can be re-wired to use the newer "Z" style plug.
I still have a few of these, and an extra gear train module. They still work fine.

Harley Condra
BVM REP
RAM REP
Old 04-07-2002, 11:02 AM
kadamstex
My Feedback: (2)

Default Airtronics 94554 Servo Info?

Thanks for the info Harley Condra. Sounds like I've got some pretty good servos. I took one apart partially to see what I could find out. These are the first servos I've seen that have o-rings between the parts of the case. Definately is a metal gear train. I thought most servos had 60 degrees of travel? These have a little over 90 degrees (probably 100 degrees). Thanks again.

Ken
Old 04-08-2002, 01:18 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Default 94554 servos

You're right! I had forgotten that they are waterproof. There should be some pucky around the servo lead to prevent water from entering the case at that point. As a point of info, if you spot other used servos, and notice the presence of a white or black colored epoxy sealant at the case/lead interface, you can bet that it is a waterproof servo, and could be/most likely is a premium unit.
As for the 94554, the servo also has a coreless motor. Instant acceleration from center, and rapid stop at the commanded position are the characteristics of coreless motors. They draw less current than a 3 pole or 5 pole moter as well.
Make sure that you lubricate the geartrain with a very small amount of lubriplate grease.
Enjoy!!

Harley Condra
BVM REP
RAM REP