Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Glitch is this natural

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 PM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glitch is this natural

I seem to be getting a lot of glitches lately. I have noticed that if I touch my transmitter antenna lately that my control surfaces seem to jump and glitch. As long as I fdon't touch the antenna everything seems to be fine. Is it natural for things to move if you touch the antenna, or is something going wrong?
Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Glitch is this natural

On 72mhz, glitching can be caused by a number of reasons. Grabbing the TX antenna may be close to the top of the list.

Do a good range check with the engine running. You should be able on a 72mhz TX to get at least three or four hundred feet with the TX at ground level and the antenna collapsed with out problems.To much power to close to the plane can cause glitching. Metal to metal on servo servo linkages can cause problems. I've had planes go nuts when I touched the Idle Mix screw with a long screwdriver. Identify the problem then resolve it. Grabbing the TXantenna is simple, don't do it.

Don
Old 06-12-2010, 11:21 PM
propjobbill

Thanks Don, I thought about what you said about too much power too close this was with a 3s lipo which gives a 12 volt reading on the transmitter. The next time I am going to check it out with the regular battery. Maybe the lipo battery is giving to much power at close range. Thanks for the input. It was doing it at the field when I was not touching the antenna.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:33 PM
propjobbill

I just tested the transmitter with the 9.8 volt battery and it still glitches. Today I was getting lots of glitches at the field, but was not touching the antenna. maybe it is a problem at the field. The next time i will try the set up away from the field. Today as I was lifting off I got a hit and the plane very sharply came back down. I need to find out where the problem is before I crash.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: propjobbill I seem to be getting a lot of glitches lately. I have noticed that if I touch my transmitter antenna lately that my control surfaces seem to jump and glitch. As long as I fdon't touch the antenna everything seems to be fine. Is it natural for things to move if you touch the antenna, or is something going wrong?
Frequency 27<75mhz or 2.4?
Given a metal antenna, situation can be caused by a number of different reasons. e.g.
. Antenna is not properly secured to mounting
. Loose connection at mounting to board.
. Dirty antenna brushes - especially FF7.
. Static electricity - older readers will recall the old crepe rubber soled shoes and static electricity shocks when entering/exiting a car?

Transmitter - Antenna cleaning
See also sub Section "Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - causes and cures " under
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ." at:
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Regards
Alan T.