Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

7 Channel Radio upgrade advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:00 AM
airborneak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 Channel Radio upgrade advice

I'm finally transitioning from my trainer to a 40 size stick, and planning on adding crow capability. Since all I have now is 72mhz 4 channel radio, and it appears I'll need at least 7 channels to pull it off, I'm looking at simultaneously upgrading to 2.4. Given that I do a lot of flying at random locations, it will probably be worth it to ensure that I don't get shot down, nor inadvertendently shoot someone else down, as it seems R/C park flyers are becoming more prolific. So far, I have it narrowed down to the Spektrum DX7 or the Futaba 7C, but that's where I get stuck. They are both priced similarly, and seem to have similar capabilities. Based on web searches, this seems to have been pretty thoroughly debated, but I'm hoping that someone can give me some info that will push me over the edge, especially given that a lot of the forum conversations I've found are 1-2 years old.

-I like the Futaba freq hopping design, but I also like the remote antenna Spektrum has to improve redundancy from potential shadowing. But I don't know if one of these offers an advantage (or disadvantage) over the other.

-The other classic argument I hear is that Spektrum's receivers are cheaper for upgrading a fleet, but web searches seem to reveal that Futaba now has some lower price offerings for less complex models and park flyers (F6106, etc), and the R617FS (futaba 7 channel) and AR7000 (spektrum 7 channel) are close to the same price depending on where you shop. At some point in the future I may upgrade my trainer and my sailplane (both are 72), as well as get a park flyer for playing around close to home.

-In Spektrum's column, the DX7 does come stock with a larger capacity battery (1500mAh vs futaba's 600mAh battery)

-I already own a Futaba radio and trainer cable, so I wouldn't need an adapter with Futaba.

-Not sure if servo prices are even a consideration, since I've heard that they can all be used with each other, however the Futaba's may require minor modification.

If it's possible, I'd like to be able to switch between crow and full wing (4 servo) ailerons, but not sure if either radio is actually capable of this.

As you can see, I can talk myself in circles over this stuff. I'm pretty good with the trainer and fairly technically inclined, however, I am brand new to programming computer radios. So, at the risk of starting a never ending "Ford vs Chevy" style debate, I'm open suggestions and input. I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse here.

Also, the Spektrum radio at my LHS has a box that comes with 4 servos (DS821s). It's probably worth upgrading to some higher torque digitals for the Stick, so are these decent and worth getting if I go with Spektrum?

Thanks everyone!