Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio controlled servo?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:20 AM
IYIaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio controlled servo?

I've been looking everywhere for a servo motor / controller that can be hooked to my computer and the servo motor can be radio controlled. Does this not exist? I've called 10 different companies looking for something like this & everyone I talk to doesn't have what I'm looking for. Thanks for any and all help!
Old 06-30-2010, 11:59 AM
bpannier

Default RE: Radio controlled servo?

What are you trying to do?
Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM
dknovick

ORIGINAL: IYIaster

I've been looking everywhere for a servo motor / controller that can be hooked to my computer and the servo motor can be radio controlled. Does this not exist? I've called 10 different companies looking for something like this & everyone I talk to doesn't have what I'm looking for. Thanks for any and all help!
More details would be good. You want a motor controller that can be hooked to your computer AND RC?

-Dave
Old 06-30-2010, 01:54 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hitec has a USB programmer that might do something for you.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:56 PM
IYIaster

I'm working on a project that doesn't have anything to do with radio controlled vehicles, but the equipment used with some of the rc cars seem to be what I need. I need a control board that I can hook to my computer that can control multiple servo motors. I found a control board and servos that would work great for what I need at phidgets.comwww.phidgets.com/products.phpwww.phidgets.com/products.php, but after contacting them the servos have to be hooked directly to the board. There is no way to communicate with the servos wireless using radio control or any other kind of wireless. I just need a control board and wireless motor that can be controlled from my computer. I will also need to be able to control multiple motors. Sorry for not giving enough details before. Yes I know nothing about the RC world!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:07 PM
IYIaster

I contacted Hitec and they don't offer anything like what I'm looking for. The two products that I mentioned about would work great if there was some way I could hack it add a transmitter to the control board andreceiverto the motor.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me get this straight, you need a Radio transmitter that hooks up to your computer, so you can remotely control servos and other gadgets NOT connected to your computer?

Did I get it right?

The remote part is easy, you just need a receiver, servos / gadgets and a battery pack to supply power to the servos / gadgets. What you need is an interface from your computer to a transmitter. That would be the hard part, I think.

I have no clue on how to do that, but If my interpretation of your needs is correct, I bet that some people here might be able to help you now.

Rafael
Old 06-30-2010, 05:46 PM
dknovick

If what Rafael said is correct, here's one way to do what your asking:

[link=http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/207]Serial Servo Controller[/link]
This can control up to 8 servos via a serial port on a computer.

Now you need wireless serial comms (a little easier to find).
The easiest way that I know how is this:
[link=http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8687]XBee USB[/link]
(or the Xbee Dongle, if you don't want to deal with a cable). This plugs into your computer

You'll need two [link=http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8664]XBee TX[/link]
(depending on what range you want will depend on which one to buy).

One plugs into the above USB board, the second is the serial interface to the Serial Servo Controller.

This will, basically, get you wireless serial control of 8 servos. I can go into more detail if this sounds like what you are looking for.

-Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 12:06 AM
IYIaster

This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for thank you so much if you could go into more detail I would reallyappreciateit! Thanks again! Lets say I have everything setup this way to control the motor, now the motor will be used a couple of times a day max for just a couple of seconds, but I need thereceiveron the motor to be on all day every day so that I can communicate with it through out the day when I need to. Doing it this way what kind of battery life should Iexpectout of it & how should I set it up to get the best battery life. Should I have aseparatebattery for thereceiverand the motor?
Old 07-01-2010, 12:59 AM
IYIaster

Look at the site they offer a newer version of the control boardwww.pololu.com/catalog/product/1352This one is 12 channels so I should be able to control 12 servos correct? Also it's USB and that will work better considering I don't have a serial port on my computer. lol

Also the servo motors that I would like to control are not going to be in the same area. So I'm guessing I will need oneXBee TXfor the control board and one for each servo motor?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:29 PM
dknovick

Lets say I have everything setup this way to control the motor, now the motor will be used a couple of times a day max for just a couple of seconds, but I need the receiver on the motor to be on all day every day so that I can communicate with it through out the day when I need to. Doing it this way what kind of battery life should I expect out of it & how should I set it up to get the best battery life. Should I have a separate battery for the receiver and the motor?
You shouldn't need a separate battery for the board and the servos. Current consumption for the serial servo controller is listed at 5mA, and the Xbee is listed at 50mA. So that's a total of 55mA (not including the servo movements).

With a 2200mAh battery, you would get 2200/55 = 40 hours of on time (minus a little bit every time you move the servos). A larger capacity battery would give you a longer on time. How long do you want it on before you have to charge the battery?

-Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 04:37 PM
IYIaster

In a perfect world I would like to get a year out of the battery life. But, I can worry about that down the road. So, can you go into detail how exactly what I need? Also can you answer the questions I asked early thanks a million!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:39 PM
dknovick

Look at the site they offer a newer version of the control board www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1352 This one is 12 channels so I should be able to control 12 servos correct? Also it's USB and that will work better considering I don't have a serial port on my computer. lol

Also the servo motors that I would like to control are not going to be in the same area. So I'm guessing I will need one XBee TX for the control board and one for each servo motor?
So let me lay this all out for you, and maybe this will answer some of your questions.

The XBee USB (or XBee dongle) plugs into your computer via USB. To your computer it will look like a serial port. The Xbee transceiver (it's a TX and RX) sits on top of the Xbee USB and converts any of your serial commands into a wireless signal.

A separate Xbee transceiver, the Serial servo controller board and a battery sit some distance away from your computer. This second Xbee receives the signals from the first Xbee (which is connected to your computer) and converts them back into a serial signal which is sent to the serial servo controller and moves the servos around.

-=-=-=-
So the newer control board WILL NOT work, since it's USB. You NEED a serial interface for this to work. How many servos do you want to control?

Let me know if you need any more information.

-Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 04:46 PM
dknovick

In a perfect world I would like to get a year out of the battery life. But, I can worry about that down the road. So, can you go into detail how exactly what I need? Also can you answer the questions I asked early thanks a million!
Unless you want a large battery farm, you won't get a year on just batteries. You'll want some way to recharge them (solar cells, etc.)

There are 8760 hours in a year, so you would need a 481800mAh battery.

-Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 PM
IYIaster

I'll worry about the battery later I might have to come up with a way for thereceiverto turn on every hour or so just to see if there is an update and the shut back off. Eight servos will be fine for now will I need an XBeereceiveron all servos and then one for each I want to control on the main board or will I be able to just have one transmitter hooked to the main board and then one hooked to each servo?
Old 07-01-2010, 05:33 PM
dknovick

I'll worry about the battery later I might have to come up with a way for the receiver to turn on every hour or so just to see if there is an update and the shut back off. Eight servos will be fine for now will I need an XBee receiver on all servos and then one for each I want to control on the main board or will I be able to just have one transmitter hooked to the main board and then one hooked to each servo?
All the servos will run off the controller and one XBee to send the controller signals. All the servos can be located near the controller, correct?

Think of it this way. The XBee sends commands to the controller. The controller sends the commands to move the servos.

-Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 05:36 PM
IYIaster

All of the servos will be in different places and they will not be able to be connected to each other.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:43 PM
dknovick

All of the servos will be in different places and they will not be able to be connected to each other.
That changes things...and makes it more difficult. You'd need a receiver, controller and battery for each servo.

Can you go into more detail on what you're trying to do. There might be a easier/simpler way of doing it (X10 motor controller, to use house AC, for example).

-Dave
Old 07-01-2010, 07:56 PM
IYIaster

The servos will not be able to be plugged in to house ac.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Rafael23cc

Why don't you list all the requirements, including a description of the finished product and / or the purpose of the device? Throwing requirements one by one, will only turn off the people that are trying to help you.

Something else that need to be kept in front of you is that after September 11, 2001, we are all observing for "signs" of potential terrorist activity. With the current developments in RC systems, your requests can be interpreted the wrong way. Be open and clear with your project and nobody will mis-interpret your questions.

Rafael
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 AM
IYIaster

I didn't post myrequirementsone by one. Also I'm not a camel jockey so I can't be a terrorist. The reason I'm not saying what it is that I'm making is because what I'm making hasn't been created before. What I need:

1. A small motor that can be controlled by my computer.
2. Needs to be connected to the PC through some kind of wireless communication.
3. Motor and wireless receiver has to be powered with battery.
4. Control board hooked to the PCcan be hooked to AC power.
5. Will need to control multiple motors and the motors will NOTbe connected together.
6. It would also be great if the computer could determine what position the motor is in.

Sorry if I didn't give all the information needed before.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Rafael23cc

I didn't post my requirements one by one.
It seems to me like you did, but if you did not, you need to work on your project development skills. From there you can identify: 1. requirements and 2. components and be able to transmit the information more effectively.

Also I'm not a camel jockey so I can't be a terrorist.
Timothy McVey was a US soldier stationed right here in Fort Riley, Kansas. Don't give me that line. Also, I spent 1 year of my life working shoulder to shoulder with some of those "camel jockeys" in Mosul Iraq. Most of them are great people and they were very grateful for what we did. Do not go down this path. Anybody can be a terrorist.

The reason I'm not saying what it is that I'm making is because what I'm making hasn't been created before.
So are you going down a commercial venture? Or is it a school project? Why so much secrecy? Are you sure that it has not been done before? Your particular application may have not been done before as far as you know, but I clearly recall my cousin (an electrical engineer) working on a computer controlled monitoring station with two way communication and mechanical devices activated by software on a remote server monitoring the sensors. Meaning that this remote device was able to do it's job all by itself with a server monitoring the progress and no human intervention. So, I do have at least one example where the "core" of your application might have been done before. This is the year 2010. The human race has been on the face of this planet for how long? If you really look back some ideas that the person may consider unique are just applications of new technology to old concepts.

Let me help you re-phrase some of your "requirements":

You need:
1. remotely control small motors from a computer interface.
2. remote arrays (small motors and controllers) are not going to be in the same vicinity. The computer interface needs to communicate with several remote units in different locations.
3. remote arrays are to be located in remote areas where the only power accesible is self contained battery power.
4. two way communication with the host computer to read the position of the motors.

it is safe to assume that the controlling unit (communications unit) will have AC power since it has to be connected to a computer interface. There has to be power for the computer to work at that location. So we can leave this requirement out.

Now how does that sound for a list of requirements?

Good luck with your project.

Rafael
Old 07-02-2010, 02:48 PM
IYIaster

The remote control motor is just a small part of what I'm trying to do. Sorry if Ioffendedanyone. I just think because I'm in the process of trying to invent a new product so that is why I'm not giving all the details of what I'm trying to do. I just figured finding an RC computer controlled motor would be much easier. Your list of requirements in right on spot & I appreciate you trying to help me.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
dknovick

The remote control motor is just a small part of what I'm trying to do. Sorry if I offended anyone. I just think because I'm in the process of trying to invent a new product so that is why I'm not giving all the details of what I'm trying to do. I just figured finding an RC computer controlled motor would be much easier. Your list of requirements in right on spot & I appreciate you trying to help me.
Please don't go down that path...(thanks Rafael for the list)

To clarify, do you want to control a servo or a motor. Both have been thrown around, and each one has a different control method.

What you ask, can be done, but I don't know of any commercial solutions. You would have a "unit" (transmitter/receiver, servo controller, servo and battery) at each location. You would need to specify a unique number for each unit, so you can send a specific message to it.

Most of anything you'll find will assume that all the servos can be plugged into one controller (even in the R/C world, all the servos plug into one receiver), similar to the controller that I mentioned earlier.

-Dave
Old 07-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Lnewqban

IYIaster,

You can look for ideas and also research if a similar invention has been legalized (saving you time and legal litigation down the road) at this place:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/

The fastest way is to look for "View Patent Images" in PDF format.

I have invented a couple of things myself (due to my job), without doing previous research; just to find out that a patent on identical inventions already existed.[]

Best luck with your project!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.