Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Open letter to Horizon Hobby and JR Radios

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Open letter to Horizon Hobby and JR Radios

I saw our Congress in action the other day and discussion was about WIFI having the current 2.4Ghz range to be solely used for WIFI and at much higher power. Consider that Cisco alone has much more power in gov't than our entire hobby.... I would not be suprised if they get their way.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:56 PM
Nitro-Tom

ORIGINAL: K-Bob

If you got over them charging you so much for a transmitter that uses inferior pick-and-stick DSM technology then you should, in time, be able to get over the 11X.
please.....the 9503, the 11X and the 12X are some of the finest radios on the market, and when matched with a fine JR / Spektrum Rx unit provide the modeler with a "State of the art" solution.......

I agree frequency hoping sounds cool, but my JR systems work fine....and so did the 85% of pilots at the Nall this past year...from what I heard.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:26 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Besides the number of channels, what makes JR so much better than Spektrum?
Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 PM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

The Naughty Thread - classic

Old 07-02-2010, 09:33 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,
That topic was under discussion with no real answers, so I wrote the folks at Nall and received an answer, which I posted in another thread like this. The nuts and bolts of it was this, it wasn't 85%, it was 99% plus. Only ONE single crash that MIGHT have been due to a radio failure, all other crashes reasons accounted for.. They have kept track of crashes and causes, and told me it's become important for them to do so. It's just too big for them not to be doing that.
This is the same old High-school Ford vs Chevy insults, usually the loudest guys throwing insults have the most to prove. It drives these guys crazy that in a side-by side comparison with Spektrum vs Futaba, they performed virtually identically, EXCEPT that Futaba recovered visibly more slowly than Spektrum. They don't even know how to handle it.

I had a DX-7, it was perfect in every way, I loved it. I have a new 9503 now, it's just as perfect and the only problem is ME taking a while to get to know the programming. I'm getting better but still keep my manual near to me! Its capabilities are mind-blowing.

As for the 11X being a lot cheaper than the 12X (the actual subject of this thread), this is a clear indicator of the world economy at present, and it highlights what these companies are having to do to pay their bills and make money. We're not out of the woods yet. I don't care whose is better, these radios...ALL brands...are awesome now, and what I fear is that some of these companies might go under. I don't care which...that would hurt.

Ciscoferret (Smirk), cool avatar photo,
JR and Spektrum are identical in most ways, I'm willing to bet that they are built in the same place. I do know that one brand has Rxs made in Taiwan, and the other is made in ....Japan? China? I don't remember the other place. They're both awesome.

~ Jim ~
Old 07-02-2010, 10:01 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Early adopters always pay up. Phones, TVs, media players, 'puters, you name it. Always wait til Service Pack 1 comes out and you'll be a lot happier........
Old 07-02-2010, 10:10 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I got into this hobby because I bought a 2ch Syma heicopter a few years ago. Having only seen a COX FF sorta helicopter when I was much younger, that cheap Heli kept me entertained for a whole summer! I was bit. I now have a few dozen planes and helis. I have yet to be unimpressed with my T6xh and use it for almost everything (I only got the 6EXHP for the CCPM helis). I have no favorite company and even have a lot of Chinese no name stuff that works quite well for me. If I ever master what I have now and get bored with it I will think about doing more. By that time maybe I will be happy with a used, fancier radio, might be very well within my budget by then too.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:12 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

All I can say is !! well I guess I am like Mcdonalds !! I am lovin it !! Just bought my buddies 10x with case & 6 rxs, another modual, on another channel all for a WHOPPING !! 200.00 now folks thats not all !! my 8103 and all of its Rxs, including its modual are compatable with the 10x !! So, I have more Rxs 950s & 649s than I do model memeory !! and by the way ALL of JRs Moduals, in all of their radios are interchangeable !! bet Futaba can't do that !!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:20 PM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

Forgot one thing though !! I cant fly at Top Gun or the nall on 72 Mhz. I am heart broken !!! NOT !!!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:33 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Modules? Modules? We don't need no stinkin' modules!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:00 PM
p51Dpony

I got hooked on futaba and often use the hitec servos,  nothing against the old technology as I never had probs w the am systems, then the fm systems, then the selectable fm frequency sysmtems, then the 2.4 plug in modules, and now the 'from the ground up' 2.4 system.  Once you buy it its time to run it into the ground, I'm using my old futaba T9CHP as a lawn tractor wheel chock.  After 6-7 years switches are worn, lcd displays are weak, corrosion and dirt are in places you don't want to think about... get a new radio and let the latest technology boost your excitement for the hobby.  Have tons of fun, 5 of my kids fly w me regularly and we seem to run a pretty steady upgrade program all around, not just radios.  A new plane or radio or engine is good for enjoyment but even more so, esp w/ radios, I don't want a "pretty good old radio" to potentially wreck a new $1000+   plane.  We've all seen crashes by good pilots using a "pretty good old radio".  The best thing, technology does get cheaper, its a good thing, your 12ch radio is just gonna be a more expensive wheel chock than your new 11ch radio..

Old 07-02-2010, 11:03 PM
p51Dpony

...oh yeah, JR is my sponsor, they buy me all Futaba stuff because they don't want me associated with their name..
Old 07-02-2010, 11:17 PM
l.wilber
My Feedback: (3)

Lenny!!! well I fully understand your disenchantment with JR, but mine is for a different reason. I made the error of buying a JR radio years ago. And although it was just a simple 4 chnl radio that was rather inexpensive, I bought it with my hard earned money. I was told JRwas reliable and had outstanding service. I didn't exactly have a lot of extra cash in those days and wanted bang for my buck. Well you could say that I got that. I built a beautiful CGM. (Goldberg) Extra 300 with a OS 108 a really sweet combo. Shortly after take off the transmitter power needle went to zero. Not what you want to see when your model is off the ground. As a resultthe model was toast. I was not exactly happy my new model was in pieces and so I called JRand explained what happend. Of course they had me send it to the service center for a check out and repair if needed. Then I was astonished with the response from their rep. Although a wiring issue was found in the transmitter it was my fault "I didn't preflight test my radio". I told the rep of JR I didn't think that should involve ashaketest of the transmitter.Never the less my radio was returned to me repairedbutI no longer had a plane to put it in and JR wouldn't even pop fora newkit. So I sold that piece of crap radioand bought a Futaba. Is JR a better radio? I don't know and frankly I don't care. I live by some simple rules, one of which is "screw me once, shame on you. But screw me twice shame on me." I will never EVER buy another JRproduct. It's just the principal of the thing. So do what you have to do to make yourself feel justified.Just mytwo cents.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:28 PM
dbcisco
Banned

The most expensive thing I have is a T-rex and the odds are that it will be destroyed by human error, not a TX glitch (whatever that is)
The most expensive thing I destroyed was a Camaro Z-28. The insurance report said the cause was a defective rear shackle.
I guess I shouldn't have been doing 90MPH on a back road at 2AM with that crummy poorly made Chevy. It proves how good Fords are!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:31 PM
p51Dpony

l. Wilber, you didn't say if that was a new or used radio.  if used.. well we just had this discussion last week, my brother is at the kitchen table putting together a laser w/ zenoah 26cc gas and its radio time so he's looking through ebay pages, I catch him and say "I would rather buy a used wife than a used radio, you just don't know its history..."  so 10 minutes later as he's buying a new $600 radio from tower his wife says " I wish you would just buy a new wife.."

Old 07-02-2010, 11:34 PM
l.wilber

I was brand spanking new.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:39 PM
ggroyal1

I am just glad we all have a choice and I have lived long enough to enjoy all these high-tech adult toys.
As soon as the economy gets better, I will purchase a JR11x.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:50 PM
p51Dpony

Ok, interesting.  this is a bit off thread topic but maybe a more worthwile discussion.  The high-end JR stuff seems excellent (many of my buddies are using these and they love them..), but a few experiences I've had with their 'basic level' stuff proved frustrating.  One was a "plug and play" cub arf w/ the evol .46 engine, the servos come installed but one of the aileron servos was stripped... this is a quality control issue not necesarily an overall quality issue, but I should have *****ed and called the dealer and maybe they could track it down to who put that servo in either w/o testing or who deliberately put in a bad servo just to get rid of a bad servo (oh yeah, they did track it down to a child sweat shop in China, the kid who put that servo in was Krasha Mo Fun), and another time a basic 4ch JR radio had an incredibly minor bump and the spring centering device on the rudder broke... you'd be surprised how difficult flying becomes like that so rather than fix it like I should have it became a dust collector in the corner of the garage...[&:]
Old 07-02-2010, 11:52 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The topic of lost planes due to radio problems comes up a lot. The truth is it would be business suicide to cover plane losses from malfunctioning equipment. The manufacturer promises you a functioning radio for your money. If it doesn't function, they repair or replace at their option. It's up to you to be sure the radios work right before putting your birds in the air.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:54 PM
p51Dpony

and another time a NEW std jr servo kept melting its extension cord, finally decided it was shorting out somewhere so had to replace that servo...[]
Old 07-02-2010, 11:59 PM
p51Dpony

BUT, I have a bunch of teenage boys who fly so we'll probably be trying out the JR transformer radio pretty soon, hope the quality is there because I will call and cry like a baby to the distributor if any issues arise.[8D]
Old 07-03-2010, 12:11 AM
ggroyal1

Hey Leonard,
How do you like the JR12x? Does it have a smooth or ratchet throttle? I would not worry about the resale, it should last a very long time. I have a JRx347 from 1990 that still works like new, it was retired when the 2.4ghz radios came out.
At least you are on the Atlantic side of Florida.

George
Old 07-03-2010, 12:26 AM
TimT2000
My Feedback: (1)

You got the good Gimbles,,  great radio.

My first puter was a pentium 1 75 Mhz   $2500.00 with printer.
What I am on now is just bad ass.... Still $2300.00

I fly a 9303  72 Mhz on 8 planes.  still love it.  Rock solid!

Cheers
Tim

Old 07-03-2010, 01:02 AM
l.wilber

Jester, No offense but that is the sadattitude I'm talking about. "I should have..." NONONO!!! I did what I was supposed to and they failed me. If I install all of my equipment properly and ensure it is in good working order, (by the way a brand new radio shouldn't have any issues, that's what we call quality control) I would expect the radio company to, (YES) replace my loss if their equipment fails.Do to faulty equipment I have taken a loss. No I'm sure that if a rx fails that they can't determind whom was at fault but if it's was a brand new transmitter and they admit it is a wiring issue, Then (YES)they should replace the damaged materials due to their faulty equipment. You would expect firestone to pay for damages if their new tire failed on your vehicle and caused you to crash. What's the difference? There are none in my opinion.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:47 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many folks that buy the high end transmitters are counting on the resale value of their previous purchase remaining at a decent level, thus helping them buy the next, newer, more expensive model.

What JR has done has ruined the resale value of the 12X, thus limiting the number of folks that will jump in line to buy the latest and greatest rig. This was poor marketing and bad planning on JR's part, as far as I'm concerned.

Ed Cregger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.