Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitech Crystals on ebay!

Old 07-16-2010, 05:22 PM
2boys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitech Crystals on ebay!

Not sure if it's still a big issue. But as most of you probably know (and I didn't at the time). Hitech doesn't sell crystals.

Hello........ some shop on ebay finally has bunches of them. New, OEM and in the box. I already got mine. $14.99, no shipping charges.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

So it looks like I'm back in business now. I'm gonna sell all this worthless Hitech garbage and go back to Futaba (hopefully). Funny I was thisclose to putting that dumb Laser 4 ch down range and doing what what I should have done a long time ago. Anyway, one last search in the bay paid off, cause my Laser4 was facing the wrong end of a 30 rd clip if things didn't change soon.

Old 07-16-2010, 05:33 PM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Hitech Crystals on ebay!

Buy some good Hitec 2.4 stuff. Dump the crystals!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 2boys Not sure if it's still a big issue. But as most of you probably know (and I didn't at the time). Hitech doesn't sell crystals.
Hello........ some shop on ebay finally has bunches of them. New, OEM and in the box. I already got mine. $14.99, no shipping charges.
So it looks like I'm back in business now. I'm gonna sell all this worthless Hitech garbage and go back to Futaba (hopefully). Funny I was thisclose to putting that dumb Laser 4 ch down range and doing what what I should have done a long time ago. Anyway, one last search in the bay paid off, cause my Laser4 was facing the wrong end of a 30 rd clip if things didn't change soon.
Care - RXcrystal AM/FMSingle or Dual Conversion?
If genuine, the tip end of tag should be visible to show green SCor blue DC .
Tip of tag ishidden and information not provided on site.

regards
Alan T.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:51 PM
2boys

Care - RX crystal AM/FM Single or Dual Conversion?
If genuine, the tip end of tag should be visible to show green SC or blue DC .
Tip of tag is hidden and information not provided on site.
Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...#ixzz0ttOI6GlY

I'm taking my chances. If they aren't right, I'll resell them.

Buy some good Hitec 2.4 stuff. Dump the crystals!
First of all. Hard lesson learned. There's no such thing as "good Hitech". As for 2.4 stuff. Not on your life. R/C is an endless money pit. The wise man draws the line somewhere in his life.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:53 PM
JIMF14D

Servo City has always had Hitec crystals for many years. Around $8.00.

Link: http://www.servocity.com/html/crystals___modules.html
Old 07-16-2010, 07:01 PM
JIMF14D

Ihave plenty of Hitec 72 stuff that has been perfect for the last 9 years or so. Never had single problem with 2 Tx, 10 Rx and maybe 50+ servos.

And Hitec 2.4 Aroura 9 is the only way to fly! Shoot less, buy/fly more!

Jim D.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:30 AM
2boys

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Servo City has always had Hitec crystals for many years. Around $8.00.

Link: http://www.servocity.com/html/crystals___modules.html
Buddy, you're my new best friend!

I Bought this Laser 4 new for $10 as an impulse buy. When the man says all you need to is crystals, you don't ask questions. This ended up being a disaster. All my LHS's looked at me like I had 3 heads when I walked in looking for a set of Hitech crystals.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Rodney

Hitec has always been an excellent buy and their repair/customer care is excellent, both in time and price. I hope you relize that, if you are operating in the USA, it is illegal to change a transmitter crystal without having it checked to make sure it is within bandwidth with no spurious radiations. The easiest way to do this is to have it returned to the distributor for the change but their are businesses such as Radio South which can also do this.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:12 PM
dbcisco
Banned

What are the differences between HiTec and Futaba crystals of the same Channel. ?
Old 07-17-2010, 03:21 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: dbcisco What are the differences between HiTec and Futaba crystals of the same Channel. ?
Cannot give exact specifics on Hitec/Futaba 72 mhz but typically crystals are no longer interchangeable between brands. Contrary to popular belief they are totally different in cut, overtone value and a few other specs. e.g. Hitec DC RX crystals on 35.36 & 40MHz have a frequency 10.7MHz ABOVE the nominal frequency whereas Futaba DC RX crystals are 10.7MHz BELOW nominal frequency. Hitec FM TX xtals are cut at half nominal frequency whereas the Futaba FM TX xtals are cut at 1/3 nominal frequency. Whilst you may get reasonable results in good conditions with Hitec xtals in Futaba RX, Hitec crystals must be used in Hitec RX for optimum results. Futaba single conversion RX crystals may appear to work but with proven less range and glitching, especially noticeable in damp weather or wet ground. Local radio technician was surprised but ran a number of tests with result he is also now convinced that there is a significant difference in the crystals. This has also been confirmed by the local crystal manufacturer who supplies USA military and others requirements and until recently produced "JR"&"Futaba crystals" for local market but after three attempts, declined toproduce Hitec equivalent crystals.
RC Groups Sticky - Data - What type of crystal do you need ?
Transmitter Crystals - do not interchange between brands except as listed by GWS
Crystal Compatability Chart for RC units (courtesy GWS)
The following may also assist:
Single Conversion vs Dual Conversion - fact sheet
IPD (Intelligent Pulse Decoding) Receivers - FAQ .pdf file - refer attached .pdf
see also sub section "Crystals, Oscillators & Piezo " under "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" on my web page.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Qn38495.pdf (176.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 07-17-2010, 03:52 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Where can I find tolerance specs for various brands' crystals. The various manufacturer warnings are actually meaningless. All manufacturers are going to tell you to buy "their" crystals, it's a matter of sales and insurance. Goes back to the "____ does not authorize the use of non-____ products in ____ equipment" and infinite variation there of. Good for sales and insurance but very lacking in reality. Other than the conversion type, there should be no difference between crystals except tolerences.
Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
coriolan

Just got some Hitec crystals a few month ago from Cermark:
http://www.cermark.com/products/72Mh...R-CRYSTAL.html

Hobby Horse also cary them:
http://www.hobbyhorse.com/crystals.shtml
Off course Hitec doesn't sell anything retail, just like Futaba,JR,Airtronic and all the others. Before spreading rumors you should check the facts[8D]
And I would not buy crystals of unknown quality from e-bay.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:57 AM
2boys

I'm not saying that Hitec is a poor performer. And I like their stuff. But when you walk into you LHS and ask for something as basic as crystals and they nearly laugh at you, it's no longer a great radio. When I bought the radio I was under presumption that like any other brand you could simply buy crystals Ha... ha.. joke's on me. These shop owners and employees use anything but Hitec. That right there says it all to me. I've emailed a number of manufacturers who all said the same thing. They don't do that to people. When I used Futaba, I used to race 1/10th scale stock cars and trucks. I never had the problem of reaching into my field box and selecting a new channel. (That's kind of the whole idea).

Point being, in this thread. The last time I went searching for Hitec crystals I was all but laughed out of forums and shops. Or chastised for wanting to get a transmitter working without more expenses of sending to Hitec. Doesn't matter how great Hitec may be, if owning one makes you feel like sh*&, then it's still a crappy radio. Anyway.. I got conformation from the ebayer. They're the right crystals.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:07 AM
2boys

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Hitec has always been an excellent buy and their repair/customer care is excellent, both in time and price. I hope you relize that, if you are operating in the USA, it is illegal to change a transmitter crystal without having it checked to make sure it is within bandwidth with no spurious radiations. The easiest way to do this is to have it returned to the distributor for the change but their are businesses such as Radio South which can also do this.
Yeah, I've heard that schpeel before. From a Hitec rep on this very forum. You and they are telling me, that if I go to the field to fly and somebody is already there using channel 21, that I have to go home. Then pack up my radio and send it back to Hitec for a channel change? How long do you think that Hitec relationship is gonna last?

Old 07-18-2010, 06:07 AM
JIMF14D

Any reasonably capable adult who can manage an RC system could get a Hitec crystal set from several pllaces including Servo Citty in a week via mail. By the way, in 10 years of flying a club Icannot ever remember a member talking about changing crystals. LHS don't stock much in crystals. Nobody buys them.

And you can solve the problem by going to 2.4ghz. Stop whining.

Gees.......we have replaced one whiner know it all with another whiner here............................
Old 07-18-2010, 10:15 AM
dbcisco
Banned

If Comcast and Verizon have their way with Senate Bill 649 [link=http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:S.649:]Radio Spectrum Inventory Act[/link] then all the 2.4Ghz spektrum will be for high-power, licensed WIFI use for ISPs only. All that new 2.4Ghz stuff will be useless and FM will still be working. Better learn how to change crystals. Don't think that will happen? Ask yourself this, "Is there more people into RC or wanting wireless Internet access everywhere they go?" It would also mean megabucks in licensing fees to the Gov't.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 AM
JIMF14D

Right and if pink elephants could fly, what a happy world it would be. Get a life!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:21 AM
coriolan

ORIGINAL: 2boys

I'm not saying that Hitec is a poor performer. And I like their stuff. But when you walk into you LHS and ask for something as basic as crystals and they nearly laugh at you, it's no longer a great radio. When I bought the radio I was under presumption that like any other brand you could simply buy crystals Ha... ha.. joke's on me. These shop owners and employees use anything but Hitec. That right there says it all to me. I've emailed a number of manufacturers who all said the same thing. They don't do that to people. When I used Futaba, I used to race 1/10th scale stock cars and trucks. I never had the problem of reaching into my field box and selecting a new channel. (That's kind of the whole idea).

Point being, in this thread. The last time I went searching for Hitec crystals I was all but laughed out of forums and shops. Or chastised for wanting to get a transmitter working without more expenses of sending to Hitec. Doesn't matter how great Hitec may be, if owning one makes you feel like sh*&, then it's still a crappy radio. Anyway.. I got conformation from the ebayer. They're the right crystals.
Your LHS has very poor service and competenceThe only band where crystal change is legal (US,Canada)in Tx and Rx is 27Mhz because of the wide spacing between channels. As far as 72/75 Mhz is concerned its very hard to buy Tx crystals,only Rx crystals are available (at a proper LHS[8D]). With technology you cannot afford to "assume" anything, you have to know or learn.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 AM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Right and if pink elephants could fly, what a happy world it would be. Get a life!
Why must you be obnoxious?
I watched the Senate discussions on just that issue!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 AM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: coriolan

....The only band where crystal change is legal (US,Canada)in Tx and Rx is 27Mhz because of the wide spacing between channels....
Please read the FCC rules and bulletins! This is the biggest myth in RC!

The FCC says crystals, repairs and mods to transmitters should be done by qualified persons. It is a recomendation, not law, and the "qualified person" isn't defined, so that is a vague term that could be anything from an electronics tech to an experienced RCer.
This has never ever been enforced by the FCC. Ever!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Rodney

2boys, like it or not, if you are changing transmitter crystals your self and not having them properly checked, you are breaking the law. That is not okay and should not be tolerated. While highly unlikely, such act can cause serious injury or even death to some unsuspecting party as, in the USA, there are users of the spectrum in bands sandwiched between our allocated frequencies in the 72 and 75 MHz area that have critical control needs. Also, when you indiscriminately change a transmitter crystal, you risk shooting down a fellow modeler due to spurious radiation of harmonics or miss tuning as you could be radiating power into his/her channel. When some scufflow chooses to ignore this law, he/she not only jeopardizes others but adds fuel to the fire for authorities to completely ban the use of these frequencies for our hobby.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 AM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: Rodney

.... if you are changing transmitter crystals your self and not having them properly checked, you are breaking the law. .....
Upon what documents do base this? The FCC says no such thing!
Yes, it is dumb to do anything if yo don't know what you are doing, that is common sense. It is however not "law".
Have heard this crystal myth over and over ad infinitum and never a single thing to back it up.
Please post this alleged law that says only a manufacturer can change a crystal!
Old 07-18-2010, 01:09 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Dbcisco,
Yes, the requirement for this is Federal law and not just myth. Below are the applicable laws.
If you are interested in the full text of the regulations concerning this matter they can be found at:
[link=http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_04/47cfr95_04.html]FCC Title 47, Part 95 - Personal Radio Services[/link]
Copied from Futaba's website
How do I change the frequency of my transmitter?
For a unit with crystals: We CANNOT recommend changing crystals to a different frequency. Changing the crystal on your transmitter is illegal unless you have the proper license. The FCC has established guidelines for the modeler's safety and for the safety of spectators. For safety and FCC reasons we must request that both TX and RX be sent to the service center to ensure proper crystal change and retuning to the new frequency. Crystal based radios cannot be converted to another band without parts replacement, and may not be able to be converted at all. Certain radios can be converted, for example, from 72 to 75MHz. Please contact the service center for any other conversions.
The applicable Federal Regulation is as follows:
TITLE 47—TELECOMMUNICATION COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
PART 95—PERSONAL RADIO SERVICES
Subpart E—Technical Regulations
Sec. 95.645 Control accessibility.
(a) No control, switch or other type of adjustment which, when
manipulated, can result in a violation of the rules shall be accessible
from the transmitter operating panel or from exterior of the transmitter
enclosure.
(b) An R/C transmitter which incorporates plug-in frequency
determining modules which are changed by the user must be certificated
with the modules. Each module must contain all of the frequency
determining circuitry including the oscillator. Plug-in crystals are not
considered modules and must not be accessible to the user.
Copied from FCC regulations concerning this issue
[Code of Federal Regulations]
[Title 47, Volume 5]
[Revised as of October 1, 2004]
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
[CITE: 47CFR95.221]
[Page 539]
TITLE 47TELECOMMUNICATION CHAPTER IFEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
PART 95_PERSONAL RADIO SERVICESTable of Contents
Subpart C_Radio Control (R/C) Radio Service
Sec. 95.221 (R/C Rule 21) How do I have my R/C transmitter serviced?
(a) You may adjust an antenna to your R/C transmitter and you may make radio checks. (A radio check means a one-way transmission for a short time in order to test the transmitter.)
(b) You are responsible for the proper operation of the station at all times and are expected to provide for observations, servicing and maintenance as often as may be necessary to ensure proper operation. Each internal repair and each internal adjustment to an FCC certificated R/C transmitter (see R/C Rule 9) must be made in accord with the Technical Regulations (see subpart E). The internal repairs or internal adjustments should be performed by or under the immediate supervision and responsibility of a person certified as technically qualified to perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative of users in those services.
(c) Except as provided in paragraph
(d) of this section, each internal repair and each internal adjustment of an R/C transmitter in which signals are transmitted must be made using a nonradiating (``dummy'') antenna. (d) Brief test signals (signals not longer than one minute during any five minute period) using a radiating antenna may be transmitted in order to:
(1) Adjust a transmitter to an antenna;
(2) Detect or measure radiation of energy other than the intended signal; or
(3) Tune a receiver to your R/C transmitter.
(Secs. 4(i) and 303(r), Communications Act of 1934, as amended, 47 U.S.C. 154(i) and 303(r), and sec. 553 of the Administrative Procedures Act, 5 U.S.C. 553) [48 FR 24890, June 3, 1983, as amended at 49 FR 20673, May 16, 1984; 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]
[Title 47, Volume 5]
[CITE: 47CFR95.222]
[Page 539-540]
TITLE 47TELECOMMUNICATION
CHAPTER IFEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
Subpart C_Radio Control (R/C) Radio Service
Sec. 95.222 (R/C Rule 22) May I make any changes to my R/C station transmitter?
(a) You must not make or have anyone else make an internal modification to your R/C transmitter.
(b) Internal modification does not include:
(1) Repair or servicing of an R/C station transmitter (see R/C Rule 21, Sec. 95.221); or
(2) Changing plug-in modules which were certificated as part of your R/C transmitter.
(c) You must not operate an R/C transmitter which has been modified by anyone in any way, including modification to operate on unauthorized frequencies or with illegal power. (See R/C Rules 9 and 10, Sec. Sec. 95.209 and 95.210.)
[48 FR 24894, June 3, 1983, as amended at 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]
[Title 47, Volume 5]
[CITE: 47CFR95.645]
[Page 561]
TITLE 47TELECOMMUNICATION
CHAPTER IFEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS
COMMISSION (CONTINUED)
Subpart E_Technical Regulations
Sec. 95.645 Control accessibility.
(a) No control, switch or other type of adjustment which, when manipulated, can result in a violation of the rules shall be accessible
from the transmitter operating panel or from exterior of the transmitter enclosure.
(b) An R/C transmitter which incorporates plug-in frequency determining modules which are changed by the user must be certificated
with the modules. Each module must contain all of the frequency determining circuitry including the oscillator. Plug-in crystals are not
considered modules and must not be accessible to the user.
[53 FR 36789, Sept. 22, 1988. Redesignated at 61 FR 28769, June 6, 1996, and further redesignated at 61 FR 46567, Sept. 4, 1996; 63 FR 36610, July 7, 1998]
Old 07-18-2010, 02:35 PM
JIMF14D

Hey good input!
Thanks
Old 07-18-2010, 02:49 PM
dbcisco
Banned

"The internal repairs or internal adjustments should be performed by or under the immediate supervision and responsibility of a person certified as technically qualified to perform transmitter maintenance and repair duties in the private land mobile services and fixed services by an organization or committee representative of users in those services."

Exectly as I said! Note that it doesn't say anything about user accessible crystals!
No law says "should". This is a strong suggestion.

"Plug-in crystals are not considered modules and must not be accessible to the user."

By this every FM radio made in the last 10 years is illegal!

There is no law against changing crystals. Period.
Document one arrest and prove me wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.