Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum compatibility question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 07:26 AM
compressor man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum compatibility question

Hi, I am thinking about buying one of the Spektrum 2.4g radios. Can anyone tell me if Futaba servos will plug into the Spektrum receiver?

Thanks, Chris
Old 07-25-2010, 07:53 AM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Spektrum compatibility question

You will have to cut the small tab off the plug but they work fine.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM
JIMF14D

Before you buy Spektrum look at reported spektrum problems here on RC Universe. Search spektrum brown out and lock out etc. Example:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_98...tm.htm#9886853

Also, see tests of various radios at this site:

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/2.4ghzshootout.shtml

There are radios with better links and also with built in basic Telemetry that lets you know Rx voltage is ok in flight. See Hitec Aurora 9 and Optic 6 2.4ghz.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Oh great, guy comes on here with his FIRST post asking a question about servo compatibility and you go off on the "Ford vs. Chevy" type radio debate right out of the box....

For the OP:

Yes you can use almost any servo with almost any radio with a very few exceptions of really old servos or some ultralight servo/rx setups which have specific connector types.

On the Futaba servos, they're the only one who has a tab on the side of the plug and usually that can just be trimmed off with an Xacto knife or something. JR/Spektrum rx's have two small corner cuts on their rx slots and sometimes you might have to trim those corners on the plug as well as trimming the tab, depends on the rx as some are tighter clearances than others.

There are also different color combinations of wiring on the servo leads i.e. Futaba uses Black/Red/White while JR/Spektrum will use Brown/Red/Orange, Hitec uses Black/Red/Yellow and so on. Don't worry 'bout connecting them the wrong way as all of them (except some really old Airtronics) use the same power/signal wire arrangement. Red (positive lead) is always in the center and positive, the ground wire is always on one side and the signal wire is always on the other side no matter what color the wires are. The rx's have the layout of which pin set is which printed somewhere on them close to the pin connectors so you know which way to go and don't worry about plugging them in the wrong way and damaging something, they just won't work if plugged in the wrong way.

Hope that helps and welcome to RCU....
Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 AM
JIMF14D

Two things:

1. Someone else had alread provided him with the sevro stuff.
2. Itried to give him some helpful information about choosing radios.

You seem to be the one who is going "off". Afraid of some basic info about your "ford radio" I guess?

Read the stuff, talk to people about the radios. There are tons of concerns about Spektrum. Look at some of the tests. See how many recalls and updates they have etc.

If the radio is so good why do they want to sell you 2 to 4 extra "aux" receivers to make an airplane work.

Ijust sold my Spektrum Dx6i system on Ebay.

Like Isaid, there are better radios out there. Think of that two frequeny "pick and stick" rf link the next time you have a big expensive model in the air.

Good luck!

Have fun.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:25 PM
compressor man

Thanks for the helpful replies guys
Old 07-26-2010, 11:55 AM
bpannier

I have flown Spectrum since they were released. Starting with the six channel DSM. The 7 channel DSM2 with 12 aircraft loaded in it and never had a glich. Great Radio!!!!!
Old 07-26-2010, 01:24 PM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

Two things:

1. Someone else had alread provided him with the sevro stuff.
2. Itried to give him some helpful information about choosing radios.

You seem to be the one who is going "off". Afraid of some basic info about your "ford radio" I guess?

Read the stuff, talk to people about the radios. There are tons of concerns about Spektrum. Look at some of the tests. See how many recalls and updates they have etc.

If the radio is so good why do they want to sell you 2 to 4 extra "aux" receivers to make an airplane work.

Ijust sold my Spektrum Dx6i system on Ebay.

Like Isaid, there are better radios out there. Think of that two frequeny "pick and stick" rf link the next time you have a big expensive model in the air.

Good luck!

Have fun.
1) The "tests" I have seen are not reality based, they are a bunch of equipment on a bench with some guy picking the technology apart, in fact the only way some of these "tests" will happen is to voilate FCC rules (and the rules of other countries) with uncertified equipment.

2) By my count Futaba has had just as many recalls and updates as spektrum / JR

3) They sell extra aux recievers, I don't buy them, I fly my $2000+ aircraft with the stock setup, they work fine. So why would you say these are needed for the system to work? they are OPTIONAL.

4) There is nothing wrong with DSSS technology (pick and stick), I'll stick with my more than 3500 flight record on that.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:28 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gps satellites have been using DSS for years..