Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Non-Futaba FASST receivers.

Old 12-26-2010, 07:03 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Non-Futaba FASST receivers.

Original Beto9
Thank you, same for you and all "sky gazers" around these threads.
I hope the fun with the new receivers consists only of lots of flying (and not picking up pieces).
Thanks
Will follow your adventures wih great interest.

Zor

Old 12-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Zor
Banned

No surprise about the level of unemployment in North America.
The large distributors import due to lower cost instead of supporting local manufacturers.
Many manufacturers do so in the far east due to lower wages.
Local unions will soon have no one to unionize .

Happy New Year
Hoping you do not loose your job in 2011.

Zor
Old 12-26-2010, 05:52 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FWIW, I ordered four Hobby King OrangeRX 8 channel FASST receivers, which arrived about a month ago. They are a little bigger than expected, and are covered in heat shrink tubing. I understand the latest ones have a plastic case.

All four HK OrangeRX receivers were test flown in an old beater plane, and all four worked perfectly. Then they were put into other planes and test flown at altitudes and distances that were way beyond my normal flight patterns. Again, all four HK OrangeRX receivers worked perfectly.

In the air I can't tell the difference between the HK OrangeRX FASST and the Futaba FASST receivers. And that pretty much sums it up.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Mikecam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave you can order just the case if you want. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16074

You can also use a jumper on channel 1 and 2 of one RX giving you channels 9 to 14, with another RX giving you 1 to 8.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...03X8620X41.gif

One of the older fliers at our field said it best, they don't work that good, only 1.5 mile range.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Dave McDonald

Mikecam, thank you for posting that information about the HK OrangeRX FASST receivers! I wasn't even aware they could be shifted to the upper channels. That's a neat feature!
Old 12-27-2010, 09:41 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: Mikecam

Dave you can order just the case if you want. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16074

You can also use a jumper on channel 1 and 2 of one RX giving you channels 9 to 14, with another RX giving you 1 to 8.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...03X8620X41.gif

One of the older fliers at our field said it best, they don't work that good, only 1.5 mile range.
Helo Mikecam,

In picture A of the second link the pic orientaton kind of hide the lower pins.
I imagine that only one jumper is used on the signal pins.

Now it makes me curious if this would work for any receivers ?

Suppose we have an 8 channel Tx and a 6 channel Rx.
Could we use another receiver, jump ch 1 to ch2 and retrieve ch7 and ch8 ?

Zor
Old 12-28-2010, 06:26 AM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

I just received two FASST receivers from HobbyKing and they came with the plastic cases. Pretty but the servo connectors do not fit in the lower channels. I was not too concerned when the receivers were shipped with shrink plastic. Instead of working a lot with my Olfa knife or Dremel to make room for the connectors I decided to remove the top of the plastic case.
Beware if you are ordering the cases to cover your uncovered receivers.
It is my understanding that all FASST receivers are not that sensitive to vibration as the old 71 MHz, probably, as we have seen and read, sensitive to heat.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: beto9

I just received two FASST receivers from HobbyKing and they came with the plastic cases. Pretty but the servo connectors do not fit in the lower channels. I was not too concerned when the receivers were shipped with shrink plastic. Instead of working a lot with my Olfa knife or Dremel to make room for the connectors I decided to remove the top of the plastic case.
Beware if you are ordering the cases to cover your uncovered receivers.
It is my understanding that all FASST receivers are not that sensitive to vibration as the old 71 MHz, probably, as we have seen and read, sensitive to heat.
Any electronic should be isolated from vibrations and held within their specified tempeature range as specified by the manufacturer.

Happy New Year.

Zor

Old 01-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Radspit

Can anybody help me. I just purchased two of these plastic cased Futaba compatable Rx's and cannot get either of them to bind. I get a solid green and a flashing red. What am I doing wrong. I have my 8FG in 7ch mode. No instructions came with the Rx's. Thanks Rad
Old 01-08-2011, 11:49 AM
beto9
My Feedback: (1)

The "manual" (2 pages, chinglese) can be downloaded from HobbyKing, go to the receiver page and under files... there it is!
In any case

FrSky 2.4GHz Radio Control System
Instruction Manual for TF Receivers

1. TF Receivers
Read the instruction manual and set up the devices as described below.

1.1 Compatibility:
Futaba: TM7, TM8, TM10, TM14, etc.
FrSky: TF-8M, TF-14M

1.2 Specifications:
Model: TFR8
Number of channel: 8
Operating Voltage Range: 4V~10V
Dimension: 53mm*30mm*11mm
Weight: 13.5g

2. Setup

2.1 Bind procedure:
Turn on the transmitter, connect the battery to the receiver while pressing receiver’s F/S button. After the RED LED is off and GREEN LED is solid, the binding process is completed and working mode is activated.

2.2 Setting failsafe:
TF series receivers support failsafe function for all channels.
After the receiver has been bind, press briefly the F/S button of the receiver, the GREEN LED of the receiver will flash twice, the failsafe is set up successfully.
If you do not need the failsafe function any more, just re-bind the receiver to default failsafe mode.

2.3 LED status:
RED LED GREEN LED Mode
Off On Working mode
On On Waiting to be bind
Flash On Signal lost
On Flash twice Set failsafe

Should you have any questions or need further queries, pls send e-mails to us.
Technical support: [email protected] or [email protected].
Old 01-08-2011, 12:13 PM
DougV

ORIGINAL: Radspit

Can anybody help me. I just purchased two of these plastic cased Futaba compatable Rx's and cannot get either of them to bind. I get a solid green and a flashing red. What am I doing wrong. I have my 8FG in 7ch mode. No instructions came with the Rx's. Thanks Rad
You need to set the radio for MULTI MODE.

Doug.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Dave McDonald

ORIGINAL: beto9

The ''manual'' (2 pages, chinglese) can be downloaded from HobbyKing, go to the receiver page and under files... there it is!
In any case

FrSky 2.4GHz Radio Control System
Instruction Manual for TF Receivers

1. TF Receivers
Read the instruction manual and set up the devices as described below.

1.1 Compatibility:
Futaba: TM7, TM8, TM10, TM14, etc.
FrSky: TF-8M, TF-14M

1.2 Specifications:
Model: TFR8
Number of channel: 8
Operating Voltage Range: 4V~10V
Dimension: 53mm*30mm*11mm
Weight: 13.5g

2. Setup

2.1 Bind procedure:
Turn on the transmitter, connect the battery to the receiver while pressing receiver’s F/S button. After the RED LED is off and GREEN LED is solid, the binding process is completed and working mode is activated.

2.2 Setting failsafe:
TF series receivers support failsafe function for all channels.
After the receiver has been bind, press briefly the F/S button of the receiver, the GREEN LED of the receiver will flash twice, the failsafe is set up successfully.
If you do not need the failsafe function any more, just re-bind the receiver to default failsafe mode.

2.3 LED status:
RED LED GREEN LED Mode
Off On Working mode
On On Waiting to be bind
Flash On Signal lost
On Flash twice Set failsafe

Should you have any questions or need further queries, pls send e-mails to us.
Technical support: [email protected] or [email protected].
Just a couple of clarifications to the TFR8 instructions.

1. The Fail Safe settings in the transmitter for each channel MUST be disabled. Otherwise the servos will twitch about once per second.

2. The brand new TFR8 receivers are preset to High Speed mode. This is only suitable for use with digital servos. Trying to operate an analog servo in high speed mode usually destroys the servo within a few seconds. Therefore the receiver must be set to normal speed for use with analog servos.

Here's how to set the receiver for high or low speed:

a. Leave transmitter turned off.
b. Power up the receiver.
c. Press and hold the button for 6 seconds, then release.
d. The red LED will blink faster in High Speed, and blink slower in Normal mode.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Radspit

Thankyou Gentlemen, Have them both bound and working just fine now. Isn't RCU great ! Rad
Old 01-09-2011, 07:02 AM
TimBle

Zor, Futaba specifically states in the Rx instruction manual that the FASST receiver must not be mounted in foam but rather on 4 velcro feet. the new 2.4GHz kit is not vibration sensitive but are more heat sensitive. The style fitting techniques used for FM does not apply here.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Zor, Futaba specifically states in the Rx instruction manual that the FASST receiver must not be mounted in foam but rather on 4 velcro feet. the new 2.4GHz kit is not vibration sensitive but are more heat sensitive. The style fitting techniques used for FM does not apply here.
TimBle

Your post above gives the readers the impression that I recommended to wrap the receiver in foam.

I did not do that.

In post #33 I wrote
quote word for word ___

Any electronic should be isolated from vibrations and held within their specified tempeature range as specified by the manufacturer.
unquote

which leaves the builder / assembler to use his initiative to decide on his/her mounting method.

Zor

Old 01-09-2011, 02:44 PM
TimBle

....and I stated what Futaba recommends with FASST Receivers which implies that vibration isolation is not as important as it used to be.
What is "vibration isolation" anyways? What frequency range is lethal and what is not. Any and all RC planes expereince vibration at all times so the only way flyers understand vibration isolation is a foam wrap.
That is all. Its a discussion, not a personal attack.
Futaba recommends 3M Dual lock as sufficient.

"Vibration ISolation" as most know it is required to protect ceramic parts and the crysals in FM tranmsitters and receivers.
Many mount their 2.4GHz receivers on double sided tape, which allows for some vibration damping but does allow for isolation. This is what the manufacturers recommend
Old 01-09-2011, 03:24 PM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: TimBle

The above text (now in red) seemed to indicate that I had said to mount the receiver in foam.and you wanted to point out to me that it should.not.

The following format could not have been interpreted that Zor had said that.

Hi Zor,

Reminding everyone thatFutaba specifically states in the Rx instruction manual that the FASST receiver must not be mounted in foam

No big deal now that things have been rectified.

Zor
Old 01-09-2011, 04:30 PM
Zor
Banned

Addressed to everyone,

I asked a question in post #31 and did not read any response.

By now, please just forget the question.

Thanks

Zor
Old 01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Dave McDonald

I just did some testing on one of my TFR8 FASST compatible receivers from Hobby King.

Despite seeing some posts in other threads about channel 8 not working, they are indeed 8 channel receivers, at least when my 12FG is set to MULTI mode.

When the signal output pins on channels 1 and 2 were shorted, the TFR8 did not receive channels 9 through 14. It still only received channels 1 through 8.

After checking the FrSky website, (who manufacturers these receivers for Hobby King), it appears there are two different TFR8 receiver models. One is the TFR8 that I got from Hobby King. The other is the TFR8S, which Hobby King apparently doesn't sell. According to the FrSky website, the TFR8S is the receiver that is capable of receiving channels 9 through 14 by simply by shorting the output signal pins of channels 1 and 2.

Does anyone know of a source to buy the TFR8S receivers besides directly from FrSky?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 AM
meanrc
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Dave McDonald

I just did some testing on one of my TFR8 FASST compatible receivers from Hobby King.

Despite seeing some posts in other threads about channel 8 not working, they are indeed 8 channel receivers, at least when my 12FG is set to MULTI mode.

When the signal output pins on channels 1 and 2 were shorted, the TFR8 did not receive channels 9 through 14. It still only received channels 1 through 8.

After checking the FrSky website, (who manufacturers these receivers for Hobby King), it appears there are two different TFR8 receiver models. One is the TFR8 that I got from Hobby King. The other is the TFR8S, which Hobby King apparently doesn't sell. According to the FrSky website, the TFR8S is the receiver that is capable of receiving channels 9 through 14 by simply by shorting the output signal pins of channels 1 and 2.

Does anyone know of a source to buy the TFR8S receivers besides directly from FrSky?
Yes you can order the TFR8S from www.Himodel.com also located in China. I have one and it works great channels 9 thru 14 after shorting pins 1 and 2.

I did a range check along side of a futaba 608 and they were equal. Have not flown yet, just too much snow out side.
They cost a bit more but worth it. Maybe the new batch at HK will be the new version?

Have found the antenna connector is a bit loose so I would suggest a dab of silicone for an anchor on both versions of the receiver.

John k

Old 01-11-2011, 10:07 AM
woodie

There is an update available for the TRF8 receivers posted on the FRSKY site. Does anyone have any info on what the update does, is it applicable to the HK FAAST compatible receivers? I sent emails to FRSKY and HK over the past couple weeks asking these questions with no response.

thx Woodie
Old 01-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Dave McDonald

meanrc,
Thanks for the Himodel link! I'll check them out.

woodie,
If it turns out that an update is available for the TFR8, what hardware is required, and how do you connect to the receiver to upgrade it?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:32 PM
woodie

Dave, just browsing thru the FRSKY website, it looks like there is a USB connection from a PC to the receiver. But I am only guessing since I can't get any response from FRSKY.

Woodie
Old 01-12-2011, 03:57 AM
meanrc
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: woodie

Dave, just browsing thru the FRSKY website, it looks like there is a USB connection from a PC to the receiver. But I am only guessing since I can't get any response from FRSKY.

Woodie
Woodie,Dave
You need these two items listed on the Himodel site (USB Cable for FrSky Two-way Telemetry System and the FrSky receiver upgrade lite). Then u need the software from the FRsky site, The software listed is for a previous upgrade. I have not found the software for the change to bring the receiver to the TFR8-s configuration if possible. The FrSKY receiver upgrade lite plugs into the rec. circuit board.
Have looked at both receivers and cannot detect any differances. It must be in the software installed.

I am just guessing but would bet before long the only receiver available will be the -S model

Jk
Old 01-12-2011, 04:05 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Watching this thread with great interest

Karol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.