Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Airtronics RDS8000
14.81%
Airtronics SD-6G
5.56%
Futaba 6EX
15.74%
Spectrum DX6i (DSM2)
2.78%
Spectrum DX7
21.30%
Other: (please list)
17.59%
Hitec 6
0.93%
Hitec 7
3.70%
Futaba 7
17.59%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Best 6-8ch. Transmitter (Horror Welcome too)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Best 6-8ch. Transmitter (Horror Welcome too)

Buying a new radio? You would have to consider telemetry as part of the decision... having the airspeed and current battery voltage is ideal... DX8 should be considered... brand new Also the Hitec Arura (sp).

Other thing is cost. With the Spektrum/JR line you can use your lesser receivers with better transmitters. I love my JR9303, but that may be outside your budget... it you want to fly warbirds (gear, flaps, dual ailerons and elevators)... 9 channels is almost a must, 7 minimum.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:49 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well in my country telemetry is not legal since it means the plane is a transmitter.
Our Independant Communications Authorityo SA will need to legalise the use of telemetry before it can be sold. Anyone found flying with telemetry is committing a crime. Causean accident with your plane and someone gets hurt, a propertyis damaged and the Civil Aviation Authority is on to you like a pack of wolves and they have a much bigger budget than I do...

telemetry, stil some ways off to be legalised over here.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:20 AM
parkflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to get a Futaba system, don't get the 6EX. The feature set on the 6EX is very limiting. For example, there is no built in timer on the 6EX for measuring motor run times. The Futaba 7C is much, much, much better and versatile than the 6EX. I know because I have both of them. Or if you can swing it, go with the 8FG as others have already recommended. I personally like Futaba because of their implementation of the RF link using dual channels, dual antenna diversity and frequency hopping. I've had zero interference and no other problems with their systems since buying them about three years ago.

Just do your homework, decide what you want and go for it. You may have to do what I and others have done and pick two systems. I'm primarily a Futaba guy but I also have a Spectrum DX6i so I can buy the many "Bind & Fly" ARFS from the various Horizon Hobby brand names.

Good luck on your choice. Just do your homework.

Cheers,
Ken
Old 09-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: DougV

Futaba 8FG

Doug.
I agree. I'm very pleased with mine so far. Even uploaded an upgrade in the two months since I've owned it. Nice feature to be able to move data in/out with the SD card. Different programming methods from my 9C, more programmable, actually, and I'm still getting used to it. With a few servo mixers (Futaba or Smart-Fly) to split dual elevator or rudder servos on a single channel it will do all a 10 channel could should you really need that much.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Saburo Sakai

South Africa, you just gave me a great idea for carte blanche to wreak havoc with my nemesis on the field......Yes, "interference". This is priceless good stuff. I'll say, "I did not crash your expensive scale P-38 pet that you boast about ceaselessly. My input was perfect as always! It was.....interference with your soddy radio.To think you even asked me to fly with such a radio, I'm insulted." With that, I can walk away from the flaming hole in the ground, unscathed and in perfect innocence..
Awesome! Thanks for the tip! I'm gonna blame my victim!!! Ha, ha, ha!!!!
Is it wrong??????
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Saburo Sakai

Dear folks,
I've added some mentioned trannys to the poll to fit the title of "6-8 channel". The Spectrum has been dissed somewhat in text, so why's it leading? The Futaba 6EX has also taken some flak. Interesting....Any wave offs on the Ailrtronics 6D-SG? .   I'm not up to flying Lancasters with bomb loads and machine guns and lights just yet, so 6 is all I need for a couple years (stupid last words?....).

God bless all of you!

Sakai[8D] 
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Nitro777

futaba 7c fasst  =  awesome
Old 09-08-2010, 12:44 PM
HunkaJunk

ORIGINAL: Saburo Sakai

Dear folks,
I've added some mentioned trannys to the poll to fit the title of "6-8 channel". The Spectrum has been dissed somewhat intext, so why's it leading? The Futaba 6EX has also taken some flak. Interesting....Any wave offs on the Ailrtronics 6D-SG?. I'm not up to flying Lancasters with bomb loads and machine guns and lights just yet, so 6 is all I need for a couple years (stupid last words?....).

God bless all of you!

Sakai[8D]
Spektrum may get dissed on RCU, but any field I go to there are alot of them and they are well liked.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:55 PM
nachman4859
My Feedback: (3)

Thats easy , hands down the best 8 channel is the new spectrum dx8 with telemetry no other is close ... just like the aurora 9 the best 9 channel !!
Old 09-08-2010, 02:58 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bigedmustafa

If I were starting over today and I were shopping for a new radio below the $350 price range, I'd choose a new radio in the following order:

1st Choice - Airtronics SD-6G (amazing quality and value)
2nd Choice - Airtronics RDS8000 (also amazing quality and value, but with less flexibility)
3rd Choice - Hitec Optic 6 (non-Sport) 2.4Ghz (great ergonomics and high value, backward 72Mhz capable)
4th Choice - Futaba 7C FASST (a good, solid 6-channel radio marketed as a 7-channel, albeit with expensive extra receivers)
5th Choice - Hitec Optic Sport 2.4Ghz (less flexible, not backward compatible with 72Mhz, but a good solid radio with good ergonomics)
6th Choice - Ace Hobby Sky Tech TS6i (rebranded Hitech Optic 6, sold for $167 with two 6-channel full range receivers making it an obscure choice but a really amazing value)
7th Choice - Futaba 6EX FAAST (limited feature set, non-intuitive programming, but a solid and reliable radio system)
8th Choice - Spektrum DX7 (a high quality transmitter for a second tier radio technology, transmitter has stupid trainer switch design and no throttle kill button)
9th Choice - Spektrum DX6i (a low quality transmitter for a second tier radio technology, it is easy to program and user friendly)

These are, of course, only my opinions.

Good luck and good shopping!
I ranked the Spektrum DX6i as my last choice out of all of the radios listed, but I'd still acknowledge that it's a good radio system that will work well for most sport pilots. If that's the worst choice you could make, then we're lucky to be flying RC right now.

I'd also mention that, while I think Airtronics and Hitec are much stronger values than Futaba or Spektrum, nobody who spends the extra money to buy a 7C FAAST or 8FG radio system will ever regret their buying decision. The Futaba 7C and 8FG are very solid, well made radio systems that will provide many years of trouble-free flying.

There isn't really a wrong answer to the OP's question; we're all just filtering the choices through our own experiences and opinions.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:12 PM
AJsToyz

Since you listed the Futaba 8FG don't forget the Hitec Aurora 9? Very user friendly, I don't think there is one easier to program at the moment, and with a fair price.

Aurora 9 it is!!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXCZ4&P=7

http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/tra...-9-2-4ghz.html

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21088.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1497406  
Old 09-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Pippin

I think a modern 6ch is a 6ch and a 7ch a 7ch. It's a different pair of shoes.

The RDS8000 is somewhere in between. A T8fg, A9 or even the SD10 is on a different level. The SD10 is even on a higher level than these two.

A 6ch Futaba is very different to the 7ch or 8ch. Not only in design.
For most guys a 6ch radio will be a great choice. If you need two flap servos and two aileron servos, you may go with a y-lead (and programmable digital servos).
6ch)

Old 09-08-2010, 06:40 PM
retvsp
My Feedback: (81)

Getting back into the hobbyso got the latest Aurora 9 then a Futaba 7C, but really wish I could get all my old Kraft stuff back. Just like it simple and enjoyable.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

7202 and 770receivers
Old 09-08-2010, 11:00 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

I have to add my vote for the Airtronics RDS8000, I have been flying mine for about a year now,  and I have had no glitches at all..  I love the programming ability and the feature/price ratio is probably the best out there!!  after using the RDS8000 for a while, I went ahead and bought an RD8000 (72mHz) radio to run all of my 72mhz receivers. I Have decided that if I buy another radio it will probably be the Airtronics SD10G, once again, Price/feature Ratio is outta this world!! 

L8R, Craig.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:39 AM
TimBle

Saburo, I took delivery of my T8FG last night. Awesome!.

In the box, a R6008HS reciever, a 7.2V 1700mA.hr NiMH Tx battery and the appropriate charger,a flat screwdriver, neck lanyard for the Tx and a little metal plate.

Now if you buy this Tx you may be wondering "what the heck".
Supplied, the Tx is Mode 2 and set up for Heli (i.e. the Throttle stickis spring loaded to return to centre) but it is not the T8FHG, it is the T8FG so it has both Airplane, Heli and glider programs.
The flat plate is to change the throttle ratchet to a smooth throttle stick and its a very simple job that involves removing th back plate and turnng the covering plate behind the left hand stick assembly through 90degrees clockwise (from the rear perspective) and reattaching it. A course ratchet plate is prefitted, but replace it with the smooth plate for a smooth throttle feel. I prefer the smooth plate so I did the job. The manual recommends the job be done by a Futaba service centre bt we don't have one in Cape Town and I fly with the local distributor form time to time o no problem.

If anyone really wantsa step by step guide onhow to do it I'll create a separate post with pics.

The battery is on charge so I'll start setting up the Tx tonight.

So far my feeling is that this is a high quality radio. Internally it is very different to the T6EX 2.4. The components appear to be of signiicantly higher quality. There isgood silicone grease on the mechanisms.

Control stick tension adjust is simple but requires removal of the rear panel, I changed the ratchet on the throttle at the same time since I had the panel off.

I would agree with those who have posted that a 6channel radio is in a different league to a 7 channel and again another step change to a 8channel.

The T8FGis in effect a 10channel radio and compares more favourably with SG-10, Aurora 9, JR 9X and even Futaba' own T10CG.

If you afford the T8FG, get it. I compared it to the A-9, JR 95whatever and the T10CG. Its the best bang for your buck, period. Also Futaba recivers are not as pricey as they seem. HobbyKing is selling the clones for $40, which works out at ZAR for me delivered while a R617FS is ZAR620 from the UK for a genuine product. Admittedly the R6008HSis going to set me back ZAR1300-00 if imported but it delivers higher servo response so on arobatic models I may opt for the genune article while for foamies I may opt for the clone.
Eitehr way Futabe is cheper than JR when you factor in the need for satellite recievers with JR.

Hitec is not too badly priced but I think that will change. They're buying market at the moment and always that is followed by increasng prices
Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the Futaba 2.4g radios because they do frequency hopping. I can relate to that so well, because I do a lot of bar hopping.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 AM
coachdavis10

I've been using the Airtronics RDS 8000 2.4 for a while now... It's a great radio... only two things I don't like, well not really that I don't like just aggravating sometimes is that the TX battery wires are what I call backwards and the Antenna's on the reciever are hard to get at 90* in small airplanes... I have had ABSOLUTELY ZERO problems with this radio
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM
ArchNemesis

The Airtronics Radios are also true Frequency Hopping (FHSS). In fact I think everyone is EXCEPT JR/Spektrum, and even then I believe JR uses frequency hopping outside of the USA.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Saburo Sakai

Men (and flyer ladies), I am both enthused and humbled by the response to this thread and, in hindsight, believe I should have started with seperate polls/per channel number of the transmitter; i.e., "Best 6 ch," Best 7 ch,"  "Best.8 ch.". I feel it would be more fair, and less[X(] confusing[X(]. Would the Board like that? Or, would the board be[:@] offended?  

Sakai
Old 09-09-2010, 02:42 PM
pipek

Reading all the comments here on RCU concerning radio stuff, I am happy that I do not need any advice on a new car, a new house and maybe a new girl at the same time
Since I have only control over the RC part..... here is what I would like to contribute:

As we all know, buying a new Tx is difficult enough...all systems are nice and perfect if their pictures and features are printed on high gloss paper, but daily usage really makes us accept or reject a certain devise.
I believe, all radios are nice and deliver quality and functionality. If you feel there is a need for specific features, then go with a radio that fits your needs. To understand these needs, it sometime requires trial and error, or at least a few days flying the plane with the radio at hand, in other words practical experience.
I got back into the hobby only two years ago and purchased a Spektrum Dx6 radio, because it was readily available at the LHS. I did not know the term brownout at this time, neither did I care about anything sales people throw at us. In fact, my first radio was a Nikko Toy 2ch, then JR.
Today, I know that the term brownout euphemistically describes what we called pilot error before.
It took only three months and the 6ch system had to be replaced. It was not the brownout, that I never encountered, but the limited number of channels. I got me a Futaba 12 radio to adapt the radio to what was beeing put togehter in the hobby shop at his time. That was after I learned about Futaba's T14 "lockout" issue. It is not as spectacular as Spektrums brownout, but still, it requires that radios have to be send to the service company, due to touch screen issues. Even my radio had to be serviced, due to quality issues.
I took the opportunity to apply the lessons I learned. 12 is history. I got me a T8FG. We all know, the sensor touch button is cheap (without question the reason, the management selected this item) but, the radio will get some days at the field to qualify...or not. The JR 11 is already out and who knows what Futaba has in the pipeline? Who knows, I might also develop a liking for Sanwa. I like the SD 6 that has been introduced to the market already, or get the SD10, or both. Or a Futaba 6 channel...#cause it is fun.
To make a long story....even longer...buy your radio by own preference, what you like, how it feels in your hands. I would also say, see if your buddies have a similar system. You can help each other programming which is really more fun than praying product features.....
If you are a beginner, get a sufficient radio that comes at the best price, because you do not know if you loose interest sooner or later. If you get addicted. Do not tell wifey, since one single trip to the LHS will dwarf her annual spendings at the prefered shoe shop. :-)
You will not be spending your money for the latest Rx, I hope you wil be buying nice airplanes. That's the name of the game...and flying skills. :-)

Cheers,
Marco
Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Futaba 8FG is great.

Bruce
Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Brendan Lugo

Just a FYI, there is no Hitec 8 channel Tx so you may want to modify your poll. There is the Optic 6 or the Eclipse 7 that would fit with in your guidelines.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:52 PM
Saburo Sakai

Thanks, Brendan! Sorry for my error(s)! I think we should give the poll a little more time to compensate formy mistake(s).
Note: I'm liking Futaba 7 lots, especially with Tower Hobbies' $30.00 off on purchases over $200. Parkzone materials I have (P-51 micro, Ember 2-so far; I do like the all neat in a box ,i.e. "lazy" operator requirements at the get-go of these noble birds) indicate BNF model binding with Futaba is a "go" but that one may need to reverse a servo direction through the tranny, which I think even I can handle; having that ability out of the box is a convenience when one goes Parkzone.Otherwise, it's the purchase of receiver / transfer of receiver per model flown.
Yet the Airtronics 6 is sweet, and the HiTec is competitive, and the Spektrum binds w/ P.zone and the DX-7 is still leading the poll......

Still, there's that 1977, 1978 tan, cut aluminum sheetmetal Futaba I had as a kid on my first RC car that never failed......ah the nostalgia!
Sakai: Wisdom of 32 years' R/C experience ( nevermind the 31-year gap from start to present). He's about to pull another trigger.......
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Saburo Sakai

Update:
Went against grain and jumped on Spektrum DX6i w/ receiver from H.H for my Parkzone birds, ease of binding to their BNF models in the future.
As I love Tower Hobbies, too, am bracing to JUMP on their Futaba 7 deal OR wait for the 8 to come down. This, for non-Parkzone craft. 
After reading DX6i manual I programmed in my PZ micro 51 and a Hobby Lobby MiG 15 with NO problems and am liking it.
That MiG is pretty sweet, too. I have no idea who makes the servo motors or the brushless outrunnergee, might they be....Chinese?  Well, they make no random tweets and pops like some other Chinese stuff out there. Anyone know?
 Now all I need is an AEROdrome to fly jets in.  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.