Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Old 09-30-2013, 10:41 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have several FR-SKY receivers. They all work good but then I am using an FR-SKY transmitter.
I hear the comment "cheap Chinese receivers". I agree they cheap. But I have dissembled a few and I can assure you the workmanship is first class. Just because they are cheap does not make them bad.
I am a retired Boeing electronics engineer. The items we got from China when I was working, were superior, and cheap.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM
psgugrad
My Feedback: (2)

I have a futaba 7c and I have my eye on this too...90 bucks is silly IMO for a receiver. The problem I have with the HK receiver is that if you buy a cheap motor, cheap airplane, cheap hardware, cheap servos, cheap battery, etc you can usually find out if what you bought is crap ON THE GROUND. With a cheap receiver, the only way to find out for sure is IN THE AIR. THAT'S the problem I have with this.

I guess in a $90 arf with a $50 engine and $10 servos it's not a bad risk. IMO the best news about this receiver is that if it does in fact prove reliable, word will get around and Futaba will eventually be forced to lower the price of their faast receivers
Old 09-30-2013, 05:57 PM
tlandon
My Feedback: (15)

Don't buy anything from HobbyKing. It's junk and if you have any problems with anything, just throw it away. Dealing with them is like communicating with a 2 year old child that is just learning to speak English. No hablo English, no hablo Chink.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

FYI $39.98

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTHL6&P=ML
Old 10-09-2013, 07:37 AM
dahawk47
My Feedback: (1)

I'm now leaving Futaba in favor of the new Spektrum DX9. Call me a turncoat. Have (2) 6 EX's . Have used Frsky fasst, Corona and Orange. All work fine. I'll be selling a bunch of these including a genuine futaba fasst rx . Been getting the Frsky's from Value Hobby in Chicago. The only negative is that they don't seem to like Dynam retracts. No problem with the Corona's.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:33 AM
meanrc

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Quite a price drop from original 79.95 Now a compatable price with the great orange receivers.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:14 AM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

My guess is they are going to clear these out and replace them with a new one that supports FASST and FASSTEST and maybe FHSS too. Hopefully it will be in this price range.

The compatible market has started to mature and the products are getting better and better so maintaining the high price for their receivers will be hard.

Starting to feel like the 72 MHz days. I like it!

Last edited by aeajr; 10-09-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM
falcon_56

Wow. Now that is some cheap investment insurance

Futaba really coming through with this one
Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Rob2160

Thanks for the link, might order a few, hard to resist at that price.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:29 PM
pilotpete2

+1 on that!!
I just had just had a very bad crash due to CA hinges pulling out of the elevator, she literally bought the hay field at WOT. My one R607FS was torn out of the case and the antennae coax connectors are no longer tight after the crash. Time to bin it!
I'm sure this is an indication that there will be an updated 7 CH receiver, possibly one that will link either in 7CH mode, or in MULTI mode to provide settable failsafe on all channels. That said, the R617FH has been a bulet proof receiver for a long time
Pete
Old 11-04-2013, 03:25 PM
voodoodb
My Feedback: (98)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just received my Hobbyking Fasst 2.4 rx after waiting a month for it. Just the rx in a yellow mailing envelope. No instructions!! Was told it shipped and was given a Tracking # that did not work. After 2 emails and 2 weeks later I finally received a tracking # that worked. @ weeks later it arrived at my door. As above stated customer service is almost non exisitent. Anyway I hooked it up to my FMS P38 and immediately smoked 3 of the 9 servos installed in it.And when I say smoked I mean they litterally smoked and melted the case before I could disconnect the battery. All of the servos chatter and get pretty hot. It is now in the garbage and I will not be dealing with Hobbyking anymore. To many other good places to buy from.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:36 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by voodoodb
I just received my Hobbyking Fasst 2.4 rx after waiting a month for it. Just the rx in a yellow mailing envelope. No instructions!! Was told it shipped and was given a Tracking # that did not work. After 2 emails and 2 weeks later I finally received a tracking # that worked. @ weeks later it arrived at my door. As above stated customer service is almost non exisitent. Anyway I hooked it up to my FMS P38 and immediately smoked 3 of the 9 servos installed in it.And when I say smoked I mean they litterally smoked and melted the case before I could disconnect the battery. All of the servos chatter and get pretty hot. It is now in the garbage and I will not be dealing with Hobbyking anymore. To many other good places to buy from.
The default mode for this receiver is High Speed mode, and this can smoke analogue servos. Were your servos digital or analogue? Did you change the setting of the receiver to FS mode before connecting the servos?

There are instructions you can download for it on the website. Here http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...84X7478X18.pdf

Look at the warning in red in section 3

Warning: HS Mode is only applied for high-speed digital servos. Other servos should select FS Mode, otherwise servos will get hot or even burn out.

Last edited by Rob2160; 11-04-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 PM
dahawk47
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry to hear about your horrible experience.Very strange that an rx would take out your servos. Sounds like a voltage glitch. I've bought a lot of stuff from HK and had a few gtrials and tribulations along the way but for the most part , okay. When there is an order problem, it's best to hang out on their chat line. I just lowered my expectations with them, especially with shipping. Bought the Frsky fasst rx's from from Value Hobby. Have also used Corona and the real McCoy, Futaba. $70-$80 bucks for a 6 channel 617? Now I'm almost 100% switched over to Spektrum( I know, I'm a traitor) so if anyone needs one, I've got a bunch of them.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:08 PM
meanrc

Originally Posted by voodoodb
Sounds like you had the receiver in Hs mode and that could cause your happening. You stated You received no instructions. I hope you downloaded them and did your set up accordingly. I currently have 9 orange receivers installed in foamies to 50cc gassers with never a problem, I guess I'll go knock on wood for awhile.. In the air I can not tell if I am flying futaba or Hk orange. I too have had problems withe thier Tracking numbers?????
Good luck
Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 PM
psgugrad

well well...it looks like the HK receiver just fulfilled it's intended role...$77 for 2 fasst receivers, plus 25 off when the order totals 150, and no shipping from tower. THis makes the fasst receiver the same price as the HK receiver. This makes the fasst receiver sufficiently cheap that I wouldn't take the HK unit if it was FREE! Thanks HK, nice work!
Old 06-29-2016, 10:07 AM
robthecook

I just bought a ORNG8F/64382 OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver and cannot get it to bind with my Futaba 8J. What am I doing wrong?
Old 06-29-2016, 10:24 AM
aeajr

The Futaba 8J does not use the FASST system. It is based on Futaba S-FHSS
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBWGR&P=ML

FASST and S-FHSS are not compatible so that receiver can't be used with that radio.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 AM
robthecook

Thanks aeajr. Stupid is as stupid does.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 AM
pilotpete2

Here's a FrSky receiver you can use with your 8J.
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-delta-8.html
Also dealing with Aloft as opposed to Hobby Kong is a world of difference if you're in the US.
Pete
Old 06-29-2016, 10:45 AM
robthecook

Thank you pilotpete2. I'm not certain if the Futaba was the best choice of radio systems but Dream Flight says it's what they use and the Libelle was my first RC aircraft.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:32 AM
aeajr

Originally Posted by robthecook
Thanks aeajr. Stupid is as stupid does.
You live, you learn. You buy, you return.

With HK sometimes you are better off selling it to a friend. Last time I tried their return process left much to be desired. I only buy things from them that are cheap enough for me to throw away if they arrive dead. Or sometimes I buy two figuring one will work. If they both work, BONUS!
Old 07-01-2016, 12:25 PM
robthecook

pilotpete2...believe it or not, I just received the receivers in Atlanta. Both work great.

Thanks!!! Great job Aloft!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:22 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by robthecook
pilotpete2...believe it or not, I just received the receivers in Atlanta. Both work great.

Thanks!!! Great job Aloft!!!
Yeah the Delta 8 receivers are great - I was using two with a Futaba 14SG (This TX has FASST and FHSS) - when I switched to a Taranis it only required a re bind and they work with that radio too. A very versatile RX.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:43 PM
mrbiga

I just bought a FUTABA 16SZ transmitter . It works o.k. with the FUTABA R7008SB ,COOLTEC RSF08SB & CORONA R8SF in Fasstest and S-FHSS protocols .
Also with Corona GR7FA and Redcon FT8RSB in FASST and FASST MULTI .
It does not work with the OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver.
I cannot get it to bind with my Futaba 16SZ. The green light comes ON but not steady and the responce from the servos has a delay , so i can not use them (and there are 10 of them ).
All the
OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz receivers are working perfectly with my FUTABA 9c super...
What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by mrbiga; 09-23-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:23 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Did you try 7 channel mode? The TM-7 and TM-8 Futaba modules operate a little differently than later built in protocols.

The flashing green but no link is exact results I get when trying to link a Futaba 8 channel receiver with the TM-7, links fine with a TM-8. The 16SZ FASST and FASST-Multi may have different channel timing than what the Orange Rx can respond too. If it does not work in 7 channel mode then likely the receivers are at fault, not defective, but unable to work properly with the 16SZ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.