Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Old 09-09-2010, 07:36 PM
sbenter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Ok I am not a stock holder of either HobbyKing or Futaba so this is not a plug for either. Futaba charges 90plus dollars for a 8 channel 2.4 Fasst receiver because there the only show in town. Not for long though I am still waiting to receive mine in the mail but I did order three of them. At 30 bucks a pop this is worth a look at. There have been a review of this Item (Link Below)

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/fasst_...e_review.shtml

Here is the link for the Item. They are presently Back ordered but HobbyKing get stuff restock often.

HobbyKing Link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14300

It shows $39.99 but if you get a free account and login the price is $29.99

I would like to here of anyone who might have one in use and there feeling for this Item.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
DougV

Default RE: HobbyKing OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver

Old news: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_99...tm.htm#9926210

Doug.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:00 PM
sbenter

Well I added the Objective review to my post. I understand the apprehension of using a "Cheap Chinese Receiver" in you $5000 plus model but If I can get three of these for the price for on of theres I will fly my sport models with this receiver.

I am sure Futaba contracts a manufacturer in Chine to produce there receivers to and still they Price them(Gouge) so high. I don't know why the question isn't being asked.

Steve
Old 09-10-2010, 02:17 AM
sbenter

Here is a You-tube video of this receiver in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Fe3ji3h0U
Old 09-10-2010, 08:27 AM
parkflier

"Futaba charges 90plus dollars for a 8 channel 2.4 Fasst receiver...."

Well, not exactly. Tower's current price for three of the R617FS (seven channel-not eight) receivers is $244.95. And with the super saver discount of $40 off that brings the price down to $204.95 or just $68.32 per receiver and that is the DELIVERED price (no shipping charge). And they are in stock - no waiting for the next random delivery. And don't forget to add HobbyKings shipping charges. They don't ship anything for free!

Cheers,
Ken
Old 09-10-2010, 03:09 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

originally I had a DX& and the rx's were costly and I was a victum of the dreaded brownouts and after 2 totalled planes switched to futaba 2.4 and never look back.the rx's are usually 99 bucks but I have found sales and vendors so I paid no more than 80 dollars.is that expensive?if you wreck your pride and joy and add up the damage and loss and frustration its not bab..but having said that I will certainly have my eyes open and hope the new knockoff works equally as well..I just wont be the first one to rush in but if the judgement is good .I am no fool I will buy some too.the proliferation of compatible rx's is long overdue and makes for better competition.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:36 PM
phil_g

Do we know yet whether the Hobbyking Orange FASST rx and the new Frsky one are actually the same receiver?
Cheers
Phil
Old 09-25-2010, 09:31 AM
chemie

Yes they are the same.

My question is does it work with 7C? (i.e. the Futaba R608FS and R6008HS are "multi" while the 6 and 7 channels are normal mode).

The review in above compared it to the R608 but in fact it does support both FS and HS speeds. In fact, in some comments on other boards, it seems the default is HS which gives rise to youtube videos of people complaining their analog servos are getting HOT. Seems FS should be default but you can set for analog or digital which is more like R6008HS. However, Futaba says R6008HS is NOT compatible with 7C.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:36 AM
pilotpete2

It seems as though the clone receiver has the ability to link to either a 7CH mode transmitter, like the 7C, or be used with a transmitter in Multi mode to use all eight channels.
For my money I would not consider using a $40 clone in place of an R617FS at $90, any model I have that needs a full range receiver is worth too much to take a chance on, also consider t he safety issues. I think that there would be more of a market for 15 buck parkflier receivers for FASST. I could see trying a a 15 buck clone from HK on a foamie instead of a 49 buck FASST 4 channel, though I have found the 4 and 6 channel FASST receivers to be rock solid.
FWIW, it seems that Futaba makes all their own stuff in Futaba manufacturing facilities in Taiwan ROC, not quite the same as farming out to the lowest bidder in the Peoples Republic of China.
Pete
Old 09-25-2010, 12:33 PM
DougV

I'm with you Pete, I wonder if these "clones" are using Pre-Vision which is patented by Futaba http://2.4gigahertz.com/features/features.html , or how they go around the Futaba Custom-Developed IC Chips?

Sorry, I just don't trust these receivers on anything but a foamie.

JMO,
Doug.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Thisstrangeengine

I also saw these advertised on HK website and they even had a pre-order option, but I decided to wait and see how they would work. The first batch was gone before they were ever stocked due to filling orders for them. They come in heat-shrink covering instead of a plastic case which might save them a few pennies per unit. I would/might consider one for a small electric, but nothing bigger until they establish some kind of track record. I was lucky enough to get an extra R617FS for $10.00 with my 7C Futaba purchase from Tower a while back. Now THAT was a good deal!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

indeed, this Rx is both 7ch and Multi channel compatible while Futaba's true FAAST R617FS and lower are only 7ch and the R6008HS and higher are only Multi.therefore this Rx is both 1024 and 2048 resolution. Part of the FAAST transmission is Prevision so I wouls assume this Rx also has it. I would like understand how they got around Futaba patents...
Old 10-04-2010, 01:31 AM
crazy8s
My Feedback: (21)

Ok. just thought I would throw my 2 cents in here. No one who has posted here so far actually has one of these receivers but there sure seems to be some strong feelings against them. I ordered 2 of these back in the middle of the summer when they were first taking orders and was lucky enough to get them about 3-4 weeks ago when the first shipment came in. I am testing them in a 20 year old 5 foot "beater" plane. I have a half dozen flights on each of them now and they have performed flawlessly so far. I'm using a Futaba 6ex transmitter for testing and the bind process was a snap. The bind button is on top of the receiver. Since it is covered in a see thru plastic wrap it was easy to inspect the solder joints and they all look professionally done. No cold solder joints. FR-SKY, which have their name imprinted on the pc board have been making RC equipment for a few years now and seem to know what they are doing. Anyway, I range tested these receivers with the transmitter in power down mode at over 100 feet with no problem. I have repeatedly flown the plane to the outer edges of our clubs field (and to the outer edge of my eyesight) with nary a glitch. So all I can tell you at this point is that so far they work exactly like my full range Futaba receivers and I am becoming more comfortable with them. I will continue to test them and at some point in the future unless I experience a catastophic failure I'll be moving them to my bigger and more expensive planes. Futaba's and Spektrums pricing for full range receivers is ridiculous, and if I can find a reliable, robust and safe alternative in receivers at 1/3 the cost so that I can afford to change my entire fleet to 2.4 I will try them out. Btw, since I started flying almost 30 years ago I have always used an old plane to test any new radio eqiupment first before it went into my good stuff regardless of which big name brand company it came from.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:49 AM
TimBle

I'm not sure about "Strong feelings Against them", that may be a leap too far in interpreting statements made. the sendtiments I pick up are "its new and therefore I'm not certain about qualtiy".

Buying a Futaba reciever is as easy as handing over some cash. The name itself is associated with quality since Futaba is established and has developed its own technology away from other players.

The FrSky/Orange FAAST recievers are not Futaba recievers yet use Futaba's coded Prevision and FHSS transmission strategies. this implies it was either reversed engineered (meaning there could be errors in fewer transmission cycles) or Futaba licended the code to FrSky in order to get more people onto FAAST. I don't know which.

If the former then I can understand the concerns and wait and see approach.
If the latter then I guess it would be a quality product and theres is little need for concern.

I am kleaning toward the latter as it would make sense for a company like Futaba to offer its technology at a lower price poiint but without hurting its current distributors and retailers throuhg drastic price cutting (remember these folk still have stock of branded Futaba recievers).

Certainly FrSKYhas cut frills from the Reciver through not offering it in a casing since those moulds add to cost for little more than simple branding. The thick, clear heat shrinking offers adequate protection to the electric while offering the user with a perfect view of the workmanship underneath. Not hiding there anything are they. If there was low quality workmanship I think they would try to hide it under an opaque black plastic box...

I'm quite confident these recievers are good enough and I have three on order for a couple of slope soarers I am building. I would not hestitate to fit them to my glow engined models either but I do so like to see the Futaba brand name in my planes (Yes yes yes brand ***** over here)
Old 10-04-2010, 08:30 AM
BEAR-AvHistory

BTW: About the shipping expence comment. You can ship 2 of them International Air Mail to the USA for $3 or 4 for $6.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 PM
Barney_5

if any one is interested we could save a little this way
(copied and pasted from  HK site)
You have just started a SwarmSale which will expire in 12hrs!
Your standard price is $39.99, after SwarmSale it will be $28.80 !
Your SwarmLink is below, please copy the link and pass it along.
After 6 customers register you will get the new price!
This offer has a time limit of 24hrs.

http://www.hobbyking.com/SwarmSale.asp?id=24959

Old 10-19-2010, 12:23 PM
Darrylt109

To be honest, I wouldn't even order from Hobby King...jobs in the US are low enough. Even though most items are manufactured in China...companies like HobbyPartz.com are based in the US, and is helping to boost the economy by providing jobs locally. I may be a bit biased, but its not without reason.

I am also guilty of ordering from Hobby King in the past...recieved HORRIBLE customer service from people who barely spoke English, they never gave me the refund I wanted...instead they just gave me a 20% off coupon code and expected me to walk away with it.

I would never order from them again. Don't make the same mistake I made.

If you still wanna order, than I wish you the best of luck.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Mikecam

I've had many orders with HK and even some missed stuff was taken care of. I've also flown the Orange HK receiver till my 4 * was a dot in the sky and no issues.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:18 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: Darrylt109

To be honest, I wouldn't even order from Hobby King...jobs in the US are low enough. Even though most items are manufactured in China...companies like HobbyPartz.com are based in the US, and is helping to boost the economy by providing jobs locally. I may be a bit biased, but its not without reason.

I am also guilty of ordering from Hobby King in the past...recieved HORRIBLE customer service from people who barely spoke English, they never gave me the refund I wanted...instead they just gave me a 20% off coupon code and expected me to walk away with it.

I would never order from them again. Don't make the same mistake I made.

If you still wanna order, than I wish you the best of luck.

Maybe Futaba should get in line with more realistic pricing.

Personally, I'm really starting to hate the 2.4 piece that's made everything proprietory again. Go figure the manufacturers want us all to go to 2.4.

I can't wait to see a 9+ channel from HK myself. I hope it's coming and I hope it breaks Futaba's run of raping and pilaging (and JR's no different).

When you price yourself out of the world market, this is what happens.

Old 10-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Milcent

I am using Twitter to inform people of swarm sale, using hashtags #swarmsale and #hobbyking with the description of item and url to access the swarm sale.

If you use something like Seesmic 2 you can create a kind of monitoring tool to manage new swarmsale on hobbyking.

What do you think about his idea ?

1. Use Twitter : #swarmsale #hobbyking Turnigy DS480 Digital Servo 1.85kg 20.16$ http://bit.ly/c1PcNK

With the hashtag #swarmsale and #hobbyking i can manage automatic search in twitter about this topic. Also i give a product description, price and short url to get access to the swarmsale on HobbyKing.

2. Use Seesmic2 (for instance) : to follow swarmsale announces i manage the searches with his ashtag. I will thus have a permanent list of swarmsale occuring, with date/time of annoucement, and be able to choose wich one to join.

This is a "crowdsourcing" example. The bigger the number we are using this the better our chance are to get access to the right offer in time.

Here is a sample of my Seesmic2 desktop application showing a search on #swarmsale hashtag in twitter.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:19 AM
ltdorn1
My Feedback: (39)

Sorry, i have to give a one star. As i watched my Brand new FunCub fly way locked out from the transmitter with zero control and in a perfect climbing turn. up up and away. in my 20 years of RC flying this was my first fly away. First flight was fine, then the second one, i was about 350 feet away climbing, then nothing but the fill throttle sound of the model. it climbed to a dot until we all at the field lost sight of it. Radio, Futaba 12FG. Funcub with micro servos, 40 amp speed control and Monster 10 motor with 11x5.5 prop. All gone. with it would have crashed were i could have recovered something, but its out in the Arizona Desert somewhere getting a sun tan. Hum what to do with the other 3 rx sitting on the bench,....
Old 01-19-2011, 08:11 AM
c550
My Feedback: (16)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LT,

Sorry for your loss. I have the same set up and I have a couple of succesful flights but not enough to have full confidence in the receivers. One question, did you bind the receivers in multi channel mode or 7 channel mode? I am curious as I seemed to have poor perfomance with the system in 7 channel mode, but it did work with a lot of servo chatter and such. In multi mode it worked much better.

Regards,

Dave
Old 01-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your flyaway. At least with a crash you can salvage some stuff. Flyaways are the worst because everything but the transmitter is gone.

I've been flying four of the OrangeRx 8ch FASST receivers for a few months. All four have been working perfectly with a 12FG in Multi mode.

So I'm curious to know a few things about your flyaway.

1. Were you using all analog servos? All digital servos? Or a mix of analog and digital servos?

2. If you were using any analog servos at all, was the OrangeRx receiver set for normal speed mode? Or high speed mode?

3. Did you setup the fail safe on the receiver?

4. Did you disable the fail safe settings for all of the channels in the 12FG?

5. Did the receiver get powered up from a BEC? Or from a separate battery?
Old 01-28-2011, 05:52 PM
jaygee

Here in New Zealand my flying buddy and I have been using FrSkyTF 8 channel receivers with complete success using Futaba CAP 10 with TM 10 module transmitters. The receivers were purchased from Himodel in mainland China. We are often airborn at the same time and at extreme range. The present production are plastic cased not shrink wrapped. For those who want more than 8 channels, a second receiver can be linked to provide 14 channels. I am a retired avionics engineer and cannot fault the quality of construction. I understand the resistance to buying Asian goods, but where do you draw the line? Check out rcmodelreview where this receiver was given a comprehensive testing and comparison.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Radimani

Check this out! The FrSky can not regain the proper operation when other FASST transmitters are staying together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXCzsEEEnGA

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.