RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   FUTABA Telemetry (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10447535-futaba-telemetry.html)

sawdust 04-06-2011 03:37 PM

FUTABA Telemetry

Any rumors about a Futaba 2.4 transmitter with telemetry? They have to have a unit in the works.

Wanting to upgrade my 9C to a true 2.4 unit. But I am going to wait and see what they offer in the way of telemetry.

Sure hope it is introduced this summer. Otherwise I may switch vendors.

todd

rmh 04-06-2011 04:29 PM

RE: FUTABA Telemetry

ORIGINAL: sawdust

Any rumors about a Futaba 2.4 transmitter with telemetry? They have to have a unit in the works.

Wanting to upgrade my 9C to a true 2.4 unit. But I am going to wait and see what they offer in the way of telemetry.

Sure hope it is introduced this summer. Otherwise I may switch vendors.

todd
I really think they will have to enter the market.
Some Futaba stalwarts have noted that telemetry is of no real value - same guys will tell you Bind n Fly is for peasants

Anybody in the hobby business knows what is happening- You only have to count the new stuff at a field

MinnFlyer 04-07-2011 06:43 AM

Well, you can count me as one of those people who feel that telemetry is a lot of BS.

I mean, you've got a plane flying at 80MPH and you're going to take your eyes off it to see how much battery power you have?

How often do you check yout transmitter battery WHILE you're flying? And you don't even need telemetry to do that.

fizzwater2 04-07-2011 06:54 AM

with the vibrating alert or beep, you don't have to take your eyes off it to know something is up.

BuschBarber 04-07-2011 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Well, you can count me as one of those people who feel that telemetry is a lot of BS.

I mean, you've got a plane flying at 80MPH and you're going to take your eyes off it to see how much battery power you have?

How often do you check yout transmitter battery WHILE you're flying? And you don't even need telemetry to do that.
With the Voice Module, the DX8 Telemetry speaks the parameters to you or your iPhone.

Telemetry has it's value.

MinnFlyer 04-07-2011 07:29 AM

So now I have to buy a new radio AND a phone that I don't want :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I can see where some people would want even more bells and whistles than they already have, it's just that personally, I would rather just enjoy flying :D

BuschBarber 04-07-2011 07:45 AM

I tend to get caught up in the new technology with Cell Phones, Computers, etc.. I have JR XP9303's, with Spektrum modules, so I have not jumped into some of the newer radios, yet.

I do like the idea of knowing my Altitude, Air Speed, Engine Head Temp, Engine RPM, and Rx Battery Voltage, for a given flight. Despite the fact that I am meticulous when it comes to checking Rx battery voltage each flight, I have had incidences where the Rx battery checked out OK on the ground and lost a cell in the air. I actually landed and could not taxi back. It only happened once, but it can happen.

The Telemetry aspect is not the primary reason to buy a radio, but if the radio has everything else I need, it is just an extra plus.

I have not decided which radio I will move to next.

rmh 04-07-2011 07:49 AM

Don't get me wrong, I can see where some people would want even more bells and whistles than they already have, it's just that personally, I would rather just enjoy flying :D
I also enjoy"just flying" and when I have to bring the gliders home because I am not certain how much battery time is left - to fight the wind- -The telemetry is a welcome assist.

Kinda like running out of gas - which was why I lost my last big EDGE -my fault entirely.

sawdust 04-07-2011 07:59 AM

For sailplane pilots telemetry adds real time speed, battery voltage, GPS posititon, lift/sink and altitude measurements. In addition to screen read out the transmitter should have beeper, voice, and vibration reporting capabilities all selectable on break points. And of course the ability to record your data for wireless down load to a PC type device is a must.

The firmware within the transmitter should be upgradeable via a wireless internet connection.

All of these requirements are well within the cost effective reach of modern electronics.

Come on Futaba I am counting on you.

todd

AndyKunz 04-07-2011 09:26 AM

Actually, no. You can pick up a used Apple MP3 player and it will work too.

I'm with you - I enjoy flying. I really dislike crashing, and telemetry alarms from the DX8 have saved planes that I didn't know had problems.

I'm sold on it. But then, I'm biased, seeing I wrote the code.

Andy

MinnFlyer 04-07-2011 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Ah - HA! :D

Well, I'll give you this - It's an amazing piece of technology - just not my cup of tea.

Now if you could just come up with a transmitter that can tell me what kind of mood my wife will be in when I get home, I'd pay a FORTUNE for it! :D

fizzwater2 04-07-2011 09:59 AM

Now if you could just come up with a transmitter that can tell me what kind of mood my wife will be in when I get home, I'd pay a FORTUNE for it! :D
That could be as simple as a timer - the longer you're at the flying field, the more foul the mood will be....

TimBle 04-07-2011 10:01 AM

I'm with you - I enjoy flying. I really dislike crashing, and telemetry alarms from the DX8 have saved planes that I didn't know had problems.

Andy

WOWyou must have lots of problems....

Must be that Spektrum equipment you're using,

Futaba doesn't have problems so no need to tell me what i already know. :)

rmh 04-07-2011 11:46 AM

Thank you for your continued moments of semi lucidity

blikseme300 04-07-2011 04:49 PM

I second MinnFlyer's opinion.

Most pilots I have encountered over the years don't even do a proper pre-flight check of their aircraft. So telemetry is supposed to help these people to not wipe out? Yeah, right!

Do some research and find out that all too often 1:1 scale crashes were due to the pilot not heeding the warnings his/her instruments were announcing. The monkey on the stick will still make the dumb moves regardless of the instruments.

Telemetry for R/C flying is a solution looking for a problem, IMHO. The marketing people love it as they always do. Bells and whistles always dazzle the purchasing public. Real functionality and reality are not considered when purchasing decisions are made. BTW, certain contest rules prohibit the use of this kind of technology.

You makes your choices and you pays your money. It is a free country and I made my choice. Flame away if you so choose.

Bliksem

BuschBarber 04-07-2011 05:07 PM

Telemetry is just a tool. No one has to use it, even if you buy a radio that has the capability. It may be useful to some and to others it may be of no use.

If you do not like it, don't buy it. It is not Mandatory.

If it is a major factor in someone's decision to buy a radio, it will show up in that company's Sales Figures or the number of radios, of that type, showing up at the flying field.

Why make such a big deal. Do you want the technology banned?

AndyKunz 04-07-2011 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: TimBle
WOW you must have lots of problems....

Must be that Spektrum equipment you're using,

Futaba doesn't have problems so no need to tell me what i already know. :)

Actually, it's BECAUSE of the Spektrum equipment that I DON'T have problems.

Telemetry is a good thing. I don't have to pretend to know everything.

Andy

rcairflr 04-08-2011 04:10 AM

Andy

I have never had a crash that telemetry would have save my airplane. The last crash I had was doing a rolling circle over the low grass area and when I transitioned over the wheat field my wing'tip
caught the wheat and a crash resulted. Maybe they will come out with a telemetry sensor that will give me an alarm for "wheat field ahead, gain altitude".

I have been flying since 1992 and again, as stated above have never had a crash that telemetry would have saved me, I build and fly 35% airplanes with high quality products and always maintain my batteries, so could you explain how telemetry has saved your "planes" (insinuating it has saved you more than once). If telemetry is saving your planes, than what is missing in your setup that you need it to save you?

I am not trying to argue against telemetry (each to his own), but I do think it is overrated by some.

rmh 04-08-2011 05:06 AM

ORIGINAL: rcairflr

Andy

I have never had a crash that telemetry would have save my airplane. The last crash I had was doing a rolling circle over the low grass area and when I transitioned over the wheat field my wing'tip
caught the wheat and a crash resulted. Maybe they will come out with a telemetry sensor that will give me an alarm for ''wheat field ahead, gain altitude''.

I have been flying since 1992 and again, as stated above have never had a crash that telemetry would have saved me, I build and fly 35% airplanes with high quality products and always maintain my batteries, so could you explain how telemetry has saved your ''planes'' (insinuating it has saved you more than once). If telemetry is saving your planes, than what is missing in your setup that you need it to save you?

I am not trying to argue against telemetry (each to his own), but I do think it is overrated by some.
rollers and telemetry don't really go together
(about the transition -you mean reversing roll?- That takes lots of practice- almost as much a single 360 degree roll)
anyway for electric gliders- or other electricc powered stuff - the telemetry is VERY nice
On your 80/160 cc stuff (assuming you are using gasoline engines)telemetry can help get best prop results and best operating temp results .
Don't kiss it off if you have not tried it.

BuschBarber 04-08-2011 05:43 AM

I have been flying RC for 33 years. I have flown Jets and Helis as well as Planks. I check my batteries before every flight. Getting a signal that the Rx battery voltage is Low, and preventing a possible Brownout, is a valuable thing.

Have I survived without it all these years? Yes!!
Is it a tool I can use? Yes!!

Silent-AV8R 04-08-2011 05:49 AM

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

I have been flying RC for 33 years. I have flown Jets and Helis as well as Planks. I check my batteries before every flight. Getting a signal that the Rx battery voltage is Low, and preventing a possible Brownout, is a valuable thing.

Have I survived without it all these years? Yes!!
Is it a tool I can use? Yes!!

I use a system that does not "brown out", so that is a moot point. Futaba receivers stay linked down below the voltage at which many servos stop moving, and if you get that low, then something is very wrong and I suggest that no amount of telemetry is going to catch it. Beyond that, the Futaba FASST systems have a low voltage failsafe feature, so you do get a low voltage warning. It is around 3.8 volts, which is very low, but is above the point at which the system will shut down.

BuschBarber 04-08-2011 06:04 AM

I wasn't trying to start a Brand War. Telemetry is being offered by Hitec as well as Spektrum. I have flown Futaba since 1978. I have nothing against Futaba.

One of my fellow club members has the A9. While flying, he received the Low Rx Battery warning from his Telemetry. He was able to land safely. For that reason alone, it is worthwhile having the Telemetry.

My first Futaba radio did not have Servo Reversing, D/R, Expo, Mixing, LCD Display, Timers, Digital Trim. Did you go into your Futaba Tx and disable all those because they had no value?

Telemetry is just another technology that will help keep the newbies out of trouble and enhance the ability of competition flyers to fine tune their aircraft, in the long run.

DougV 04-08-2011 06:16 AM

For those that will like Futaba telemetry, It should be out soon: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/250150-FASSTEST-plus-bidirektionaler-S-BUS-II-(aus-futaba-forum.net)

It looks like a little module will connect to the S.Bus port or hub. ;)

By the way, it will have voice output.

Doug.

BuschBarber 04-08-2011 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: DougV

For those that will like Futaba telemetry, It should be out soon: http://www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/250150-FASSTEST-plus-bidirektionaler-S-BUS-II-(aus-futaba-forum.net)

It looks like a little module will connect to the S.Bus port or hub. ;)

By the way, it will have voice output.

Doug.
Sounds good!!
What sensors will be available?

DougV 04-08-2011 06:56 AM

Is not clear to me there, but it looks like:

"RPM, Current and Voltage

A bus line for control and telemetry, data sensors plugged everywhere."

Maybe more, who knows? I read somewhere that the 8FG/Super is telemetry ready, that all it need is the software. We’ll see.

Doug.