RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Redundant Receivers ?????????? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10533964-redundant-receivers.html)

flyerdave 05-22-2011 05:41 AM

Redundant Receivers ??????????

I have been running redundant batteries through seperate switches in my 50cc planes for years, but I have never heard of redundant receivers. One of the guys at the field says he is setting up redundant receivers. I can see where this could be a lifesaver, especially since I had a receiver go out in my plane last week. Can someone tell me how this works? Thanks

BuschBarber 05-22-2011 05:49 AM

RE: Redundant Receivers ??????????

ORIGINAL: flyerdave

I have been running redundant batteries through seperate switches in my 50cc planes for years, but I have never heard of redundant receivers. One of the guys at the field says he is setting up redundant receivers. I can see where this could be a lifesaver, especially since I had a receiver go out in my plane last week. Can someone tell me how this works? Thanks
If you are talking about 2.4Ghz receivers, there are a number of pilots, with JR/Spektrum receivers, Binding more than one Rx to the same Tx/Model Memory, in the same aircraft. This is done for Redundancy or just to make it easier to Assemble or Disassemble the aircraft. For instance, you can have one Rx in the Wing and one in the Fuselage, with all the wires attached.

The key, with JR/Spektrum, is to Bind each Rx, one at a time.

You can use Redundate Rx's in non 2.4 receivers, such as 72Mhz. Just be careful with the antennas and run them out in a V fashion rather than Parallel.

You can plug some servos into one Rx and others in to the other Rx so if one Rx quits, you still have enough control to Land, with the other Rx.

rcairflr 05-22-2011 06:33 AM

You would typically wire the left aileron/right elevator to one receiver and the right aileron/left elevator to the other receiver and then install the rudder and throttle to opposite receivers. Then each receiver would get its own battery.

Campgems 05-22-2011 11:09 AM

So it really isn't true reduntant operation where either receiver can operate all the servos, but job sharing where each rx operates some servos but if an RX is lost, so are all the servos attached to it. Is this a correct?

Don

BuschBarber 05-22-2011 11:26 AM

ORIGINAL: Campgems

So it really isn't true reduntant operation where either receiver can operate all the servos, but job sharing where each rx operates some servos but if an RX is lost, so are all the servos attached to it. Is this a correct?

Don
The idea is to still have enough control to land, even if one Rx dies.

rmh 05-22-2011 02:31 PM

For those who wish to try this - a note of caution on the Spektrum 2.4 rx
There are many rx's which are available - and some are 1024 resolution ONLY- some are 2048 OR 1024 resolution.
best bet is to use identical rx.
You will know when you try to bind them if all is correct.
No danger of getting setup which binds but wont work well in the air
I fboth bind properly on the bench - you are ok to go
you can bind a dozen at the same time IF they are all same types.
For the thinkers - try this - use one central battery setup (and switch) and feed servo/rx combos located in groups.
No super electronic do dads req'd
You could make a huge scale 747 and place a rx in each panel or for each item with one central battery pack ( a big one) -which would be only plug in when asembling model to fly

baronbrian 05-22-2011 04:49 PM

ORIGINAL: rmh
You could make a huge scale 747 and place a rx in each panel or for each item with one central battery pack ( a big one) -which would be only plug in when asembling model to fly
I dub that system "RMH-BUS". Think of all the servo extensions you would save!

Campgems 05-22-2011 05:42 PM

This brings up a good solutionforthe P-61 I'm starting to put together, ASM ARF.I just bought three of the Orange Fasst receivers hoping the testing in the giant scales turns up positive.. One in each boom and one in the center fuselage. That guy calls for 16 extentions and Y's I should be able to cut that down to maybe 2or four, depeding on flaps servo distance. from the boom.

Don