RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   FASST vs FHSS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10558936-fasst-vs-fhss.html)

selnekav 06-05-2011 09:58 PM

FASST vs FHSS

Can someone explaine what is the advantage of Fasst vs FHSS ? if there is any

Thanks,

karolh 06-06-2011 04:14 AM

RE: FASST vs FHSS

Same difference as, is the glass half empty or is it half full.

Karol

DougV 06-06-2011 04:30 AM

ORIGINAL: selnekav

Can someone explaine what is the advantage of Fasst vs FHSS ? if there is any

Thanks,
Little more info here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10499729/tm.htm

Doug.

skubacb 12-09-2012 07:58 PM

FHSS= is a simple frequency hopping system, will not scan the band at boot and no error checking capabilities.
FASST: Hybrid FH/DSSS channel shifting system, it will scan the band at boot and has error checking and correction capabilities.

You are fooling yourself if you think a cheaper system is going to have the same performance. There is a reason the stay with the FASST system. Quite frankly I believe we will see people losing aircraft just as I have seen with the TATIC system and with other simple FHSS systems.

What bugs me about Futaba putting out this "cheaper" system is that FrSky and Corona can put out 8 and 14 channel FASST compatible RXs for $30. Futaba is selling the same thing for up to $200. Seems that even that is not enough profit for them.

One airplane working ok is not the same as thousands of flights with NO hiccups. I have probably 2000-3000 flights on the FASST system with no anomalies. With one of the first DX7s I lost 6 aircraft in 300 flights. A friend tried the Tatic (Anylink) system and started out having the similar results as the DMS DX7. Tried it with a 12Z and an 8FG. Bad in all cases. I would rather fly an OrangeRX FASST RX anytime over any of the DSM, DSM2, FHSS, or Tactic systems.

BTW "Anylink" was a great advertising ploy. That module is just the same as using a Xtremelink, FASST, Spectrum, FRSky, etc. module in any radio with a module bay. It does NOT work with anything but TATIC receivers, just as the rest of them only work with their own system. "Anylink" is the name NOT the function.

Silent-AV8R 12-10-2012 06:29 AM

ORIGINAL: skubacb

What bugs me about Futaba putting out this ''cheaper'' system is that FrSky and Corona can put out 8 and 14 channel FASST compatible RXs for $30. Futaba is selling the same thing for up to $200. Seems that even that is not enough profit for them.

Futaba has to account for the development costs, where the Chinese clones do not. They simply "copied" (nice way to say "stole") the technology.

To paraphrse you "If you think the cheap Chinese clones are as good as the genuine Futaba FASST receivers, then you're fooling yourself".

dirtybird 12-10-2012 06:53 AM

Futaba has been making ss systems for years. They had very little development costs. They charge $200 because guys like you are willing to pay it.
Back in the '60's I remember when Futaba came out with their digital systems. It was a copy of the systems developed here in the states.

karolh 12-10-2012 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

Futaba has been making ss systems for years. They had very little development costs. They charge $200 because guys like you are willing to pay it.

Exactly so.

Karol

rmh 12-10-2012 11:52 AM

Youwill never convince the 'big spenders" that their choice is not demonstrably superior.
I fly with guys using the top price stuff - - can I see find any real advantages over other stuff?
programming is awkward to me - but the transmitters are very pretty tho way too heavy for my tastes
When it come to " no glitches"
No advantage seen yet -
If it makes the guys happy - then it is the right choice .
Reminds me of buyers trying to demonstrate superiority of some grossly overpriced German cars vs Honda/Hyundai and Toyota .
It's just sizzle with little steak.

plaurence 12-10-2012 02:15 PM

What Tx are you using?

ORIGINAL: rmh

Youwill never convince the 'big spenders" that their choice is not demonstrably superior.
I fly with guys using the top price stuff - - can I see find any real advantages over other stuff?
programming is awkward to me - but the transmitters are very pretty tho way too heavy for my tastes
When it come to " no glitches"
No advantage seen yet -
If it makes the guys happy - then it is the right choice .
Reminds me of buyers trying to demonstrate superiority of some grossly overpriced German cars vs Honda/Hyundai and Toyota .
It's just sizzle with little steak.

rmh 12-10-2012 02:26 PM

Favorite is DX8- tho I have the DX18 -very complete capabilities
The lighter DX8 is simply the most handy. Also have some JR stuff -seldom used now
No problems and easy to use.
Big planes, little planes - all work nicely. The new moderate priced Futabas I see appear to perform every bit as well as the higher priced ones .
It's all a matterof choice -I don't see any "superior" signal tho.

ramboy 12-15-2012 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: skubacb

Quite frankly I believe we will see people losing aircraft just as I have seen with the TATIC system and with other simple FHSS systems.

It sounds like you are saying the 2.4 GHz systems are really no better than 72 MHz systems.