RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Anyone here using 466mhz UHF? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10577518-anyone-here-using-466mhz-uhf.html)

scooterinvegas 06-16-2011 01:20 PM

Anyone here using 466mhz UHF?

Anyone using long range 433mhz? If so, which booster/converter and what's the range? I've been looking in to the DL, CL and EZ systems. I've heard of up to 40 mile range. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

onewasp 06-16-2011 05:30 PM

RE: Anyone here using 466mhz UHF?

Any range beyond unaided line of sight is illegal in the USA.

The AMA FPV regulations are published on their site and also rule out any flight
not conforming to the unaided line of sight AND a second required pilot .

Surely after 9/11 you can understand the regulations and their purpose.
Locally we've clubs which simply prohibit FPV in its entirety.

In short, NO RC flight beyond those limits regardless of purpose are permitted in the USA.
Qualified record attempts may be excluded by special permit only .

You seem to be crossing the lines of both the FCC and the FAA .

With the FAA now in the latter stages of issuing a notice of intended rule making for sUAS
flight your question is particularly worrisome .

scooterinvegas 06-16-2011 06:31 PM

ORIGINAL: onewasp

What does the FCC, AMA and FAA have to do with my quarter scale gas truck?

I already have a plug and play FPV set-up on a ground-based RC vehicle. While doing initial testing, I found that the radio range is very limited. When the stock radio starts to show signs of glitching and then going into a fail safe, the large 1/4 scale truck is still clearly visible. I am wanting to extend a range considerably so I can explore parts of the desert using the first person view. I have since done some research and found out that radio range at ground level is severely limited compared to radio range of the aircraft. Still, Im thinking if I bought a long-range system that was capable of upwards of 40 miles in the air, that would maybe give me 8 to 10 mile range on the ground, maybe. Anything would be better than the range I have now.

I do appreciate a fact that you took the time and the effort to type your response, but it has nothing to do with my question in the 1st post.

Now back to the original question of this thread, is there anybody using 433 MHz radios? And if you are which ones are you using?

scooterinvegas 06-16-2011 06:47 PM

RCU is a VERY liberal "Gov knows best" group of guys. I knew better, but posted my question anyway. Oh well. I'll post these type of questions else where.

You guys can discuss this topic of you like. I'm done with this thread. Thanks, Scoot.

Silent-AV8R 06-16-2011 07:36 PM

How do you figure? WRT to the AMA they do not condone BLOS operations, but that is not a law. As far as any other laws there are none that I am aware of, yet. The new FAA regulations will absolutely change that I am certain.

Tired Old Man 06-16-2011 08:03 PM

I've only used this frequency in ground to air ops and the range is long indeed. However, I Don't have a clue how well it work ground to grond. Some frequencies have a tendency to scatter with terrain.

onewasp 06-18-2011 06:59 AM

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

How do you figure? WRT to the AMA they do not condone BLOS operations, but that is not a law. As far as any other laws there are none that I am aware of, yet. The new FAA regulations will absolutely change that I am certain.

My my, close to the vehemence of "a woman scorned" .

You are correct that it is not codified . At least to my knowledge .

You are incorrect that because it is not codified that there is no law.

Our legal system is based upon English common law and the doctrine of
common behavior and/or usage would be difficult to overcome in a civil suit.

Particularly where you have the AMA rules and the comments from the FAA
committee pursuing new regulations on sUAS praising the past usage of these
"Safety Code" rules and questioning only whether they are enough when placed
against the increasing flood of sUAS systems being offered for sale.

Had the OP specified surface usage in his original post I doubt that I would have replied at all .
However, if the OP thinks that the FCC does not have authority over the radio bands he is quite mistaken .

Now, the chance of his being 'caught' out in the Nevada desert is roughly nil .
That however does not change the FCC control of all RF activity in this country, though they
have lost momentary control in the past .

Example: the CB craze of a few years ago . 500 watt linear amps and it was clearly out of control.

Don't ever put your money on the law, codified or not.
The law is and always has been whatever the judge (court) says that it is . "Law" is at the very least fluid .
It is intended to be that way as any other form would mean we would have a system that required
a separate entry for each and every individual offense .

baronbrian 06-19-2011 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: scooterinvegas

What does the FCC, AMA and FAA have to do with my quarter scale gas truck?

Classic! you got'em going now!

Silent-AV8R 06-19-2011 09:34 AM

The only way the FCC would be involved is in granting the authority to use that specific frequency for that type of activity/use. To be fair, the OP did not mention he planned to use this in a RC truck.