RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba R617FS receiver (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10598112-futaba-r617fs-receiver.html)

ozzieflyer 06-29-2011 06:59 AM

Futaba R617FS receiver

A question regarding the Futaba R617FS receiver.
If I use analog servos, when I switch on the Rx, the servos move/jump before the llink is established. A digital servo does not move, it's locked solid, and fine, and only moves to neutral once

I got my 12FG today, and with the R6014HS receiver, when it's switched on, the servo's don't move at all even before the link is established, regardless of whether I am using analog or digital servos. So if I turn on the receiver before the Tx, the servo's don't move.

But if I use the R617FS receiver, when I turn on the receiver, the analog servo's will jump/move quite a bit.
Is this normal?
Bad news if it is, as I have bought 4 of the R617FS receivers, and I have a lot of sports planes with analog servos, so it's not a nice thing to see.
If I had realised/known I would have bought a different Rx.

Can somebody confirm this?

karolh 06-29-2011 07:39 AM

RE: Futaba R617FS receiver

Sure hope for your pocket's sake that is not the case.

Karol

MinnFlyer 06-29-2011 07:51 AM

With any and all systems you should never turn the Rx on before the Tx

And in most cases, the servos will jump a little before the link is established. This is normal and nothing to worry about.

ira d 06-29-2011 09:40 AM

Analog servos tend to do this and in most cases it's not a problem unless the servo is used to operate a retract valve in which case your
gear may retract on power up.

ozzieflyer 06-29-2011 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

With any and all systems you should never turn the Rx on before the Tx

And in most cases, the servos will jump a little before the link is established. This is normal and nothing to worry about.
I don't turn the Rx on before the Tx, but the servos jump quite a lot when the RX is turned on, just as it makes the link.

With Digital servos, no problem, with the 14 ch servo, no servos move at all, regardless of analog or Digital.

Silent-AV8R 06-29-2011 02:36 PM

What brand of analog servos do you observe this happening with? I have several 617 RX but I do not use any analog servos, only digital and I have not noticed any issues like this with any brand of digital. Sounds like a great excuse to go digital!! :)

ozzieflyer 06-29-2011 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

What brand of analog servos do you observe this happening with? I have several 617 RX but I do not use any analog servos, only digital and I have not noticed any issues like this with any brand of digital. Sounds like a great excuse to go digital!! :)
It's ONLY analogs, I had a JR, Hitec, and Futaba analog, they all do it.
But with a Digital, any brand, they don't "kick" when the receiver is turned on. The Digital servos all "Hold" when teh RX is turned on, if no Link, they keep holding, no kick.

Probably not a big deal, but a bit disconcerting.
Buit it's only the R617FS receiver, the R6014HS receiver does not "kick" the servos, even analog ones, when teh receiver is turned on.

ozzieflyer 06-29-2011 05:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Sounds like a great excuse to go digital!! :)

Oh Yeah, that's what I am thinking :D

aghost 06-29-2011 06:54 PM

ozzieflyer, as far as I am concerned, the analog servo motion you describe is normal. I have the 617FS along with other futaba 6 and 8 channel receivers in seven planes. All with analog servos, futaba, HiTec, JR, Hobbico brands. Most of the servos move to some degree when the RX is turned on. Futaba servos seem to move less than the others, but that may not be correct. As long as they don't move far enough to damage something, I quit worrying about it.

Brian

ozzieflyer 06-29-2011 07:39 PM

Thank you Aghost and irad d

That all makes sense.

rfk1381 06-29-2011 08:37 PM

Ozzieflyer

Just to be sure, did you set your 12FG transmitter to "7-channel" mode (not "multi" mode) when you use the R617FS receiver?

Regards...Ron K

ozzieflyer 06-29-2011 09:11 PM

ORIGINAL: rfk1381

Ozzieflyer

Just to be sure, did you set your 12FG transmitter to ''7-channel'' mode (not ''multi'' mode) when you use the R617FS receiver?

Regards...Ron K
Yes :D I found that out, was wondering why it wouldn't connect at first..

All good.
But it must be something in the 617FS programming, as the other receiver doesn't do it.