RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Switch settings for 12FG (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10608114-switch-settings-12fg.html)

ozzieflyer 07-06-2011 01:01 AM

Switch settings for 12FG

Have just moved to a Futaba 12FG, after 13+ years on a JR 10x.
So am working out the best switch setups.
The first thing, as I am mode 2, I got the spring loaded switch moved form the right hand side to the left hand side, this seemed to make more sense to me for Mode 2.

When I use a trainer Tx, I set the Trainer function to this spring switch.
But what about throttle cut and timer start?
The JR had an analogue trim for throttle so I never needed or knew about throttle cut. What's the best place/switch to put this on?
The timer on the JR was started from the touch screen, (one thing I miss on my 12FG)
And the timer start? I currently have the timer start on one of the spare T6 trims, seems to work ok, but not sure where to put the throttle cut, as I want to make it consisten for all my fture models.

Comments and experience appreaciated.

BuschBarber 07-06-2011 05:10 AM

RE: Switch settings for 12FG

ORIGINAL: ozzieflyer

The first thing, as I am mode 2, I got the spring loaded switch moved form the right hand side to the left hand side, this seemed to make more sense to me for Mode 2.

The JR had an analogue trim for throttle so I never needed or knew about throttle cut. What's the best place/switch to put this on?
The timer on the JR was started from the touch screen, (one thing I miss on my 12FG)
And the timer start? I currently have the timer start on one of the spare T6 trims, seems to work ok, but not sure where to put the throttle cut, as I want to make it consisten for all my fture models.

I know that many pilots are enamored by the Timer in their Tx, but for years, I have been using the Talking Timer.
http://www.amazon.com/Tel-Timer-Digi.../dp/B001D1G428

I clip it on my shirt, set it to the desired Time, and when started, it Counts Down, speaking the number of Minutes left. When it reaches Zero, it plays a tone of your choice, for one Minute, then starts to Count Up.

In Clock Mode, it will speak the Time, whenever you press a button. It can also be used as a Count Up timer.

Many of my fellow club members use this device. It is so much more useful than the Timer in the Tx.

DougV 07-06-2011 05:38 AM

ORIGINAL: ozzieflyer

For throttle cut you can use the build in feature 'Throttle cut" and assign it to any switch, or you can create a mix throttle to throttle and assign it to any switch you like. (I prefer the long two position switch)

For the timer, you can assign it to any switch as well, but I like to use the throttle stick for the timer.

The beauty of Futaba radios is the flexibility of the software.

Doug.

Bax 07-06-2011 05:50 AM

There isn't a "preferred" or "conventional" switch to use for any function, other than trainer. The spring-loaded switch is commonly used for the trainer function. If you're not using the trainer function, why not use that switch for your throttle cut?

The transmitter will allow you to assign any function to any control, so whatever works out for you is the way to go.

Silent-AV8R 07-06-2011 05:52 AM

You can also assign the throttle trim to a slider or whatever you want if that is your preference. I use the slider on the upper left corner of my 14MZ for throttle trim on my planes and helis.

I use the spring loaded switch to turn my timer on and off like a stopwatch. I have also used it for the throttle cut feature.

DougV 07-06-2011 06:07 AM

Yes, I also use the spring-loaded switch (if I’m not using it for training) for my throttle cut on nitros, but I use the long two position switch for "throttle hold" on electrics.

The OP is using the spring-loaded for training switch, reason why I said to use the two position switch.

Doug.

ozzieflyer 07-07-2011 01:35 AM

Great info everyone,
Thanks

CustomPC 07-07-2011 05:31 AM

I used the spring loaded switch for throttle cut so it is always inactive unless i moved the switch.

If you use a 2-pos switch you could inadvertently have the switch set to throttle cut which could have you stumped trying to solve why the engine is not starting (don't ask me how i know ;) .)

Also, if you haven't already discovered the throttle cut feature will only cut the throttle when the stick is at idle. If you're at half throttle and bump the t-cut it will not function. I usually land, throttle to idle, then flick the cut switch briefly to stop the engine.

The 12FG has the best and most flexible timer of any radio but it can be very confusing to set it up.
You can set separate start and stop switches or stick positions.
You can also set them separately for individual flight modes which i find a real boon with electric helis in particular.