RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Radios in the UK (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10623576-radios-uk.html)

wgdenge 07-16-2011 03:58 AM

Radios in the UK

Long story, but last year I sold ALL my R/C and IMAC stuff. Now, I want to get back into R/C.
BUT.. we are moving to the UK. So, before I buy a new radios, what the requirments in the UK.

Does JR or Futaba support this? Can I get a JR12X and pop in a new module for the UK.
They use Spectrum and 2.4 (Futaba and JR) in the UK just like us. So, is there a problem?

Thanks
Wayne

AndyKunz 07-16-2011 04:30 AM

RE: Radios in the UK

You can use Spektrum radios in the UK. Use the correct power setting (it needs to go to Service for this).

Andy

A.T. 07-16-2011 12:34 PM

ORIGINAL: llusion Long story, but last year I sold ALL my R/C and IMAC stuff. Now, I want to get back into R/C.
BUT.. we are moving to the UK. So, before I buy a new radios, what the requirments in the UK.
Does JR or Futaba support this? Can I get a JR12X and pop in a new module for the UK.
They use Spectrum and 2.4 (Futaba and JR) in the UK just like us. So, is there a problem?
Thanks Wayne
Note. TXbought in USA do not usuallly have the required CEsticker attached
Information on Licence Exempt devices in the UK (Independent regulator and competition authority for the UK communications industries.)
The Hitec AFHSS systems, e.g. Aurora 9, is one of a few that is the same in every respect as sold in USA as UK.
Spektrum, as used in USA has twice the power permitted UK and many other countries.
<font size="1">( a lower powered version of JR&amp;Spektrum is available in UK with required certification attached).</font>
In need, refer web pages of and inquire direct to:
British Model Flying Assoociation &amp;
Large Scale Model Assn - UK.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links

bem 07-17-2011 04:25 AM

Hi,

As far as I know all Futaba transmitters are CE approved so they can be used in EU countries like UK. But for Futaba high end radios 12Z, 12FG and 14MZ (and probably the new 18MZ) they are regioncoded so if you buy for example 12FG in US and want to use it in EU countries like UK you must let a Futaba service center change region code in the transmitter to Europe and You must use a European transmitter module (TM-14 for 12FG). When you go back to US you have to change the transmitter region code again, to US, and use a US transmitter module (TM-14). Here in Europe (except France that has special rules) we have a max transmitter signal output of 100 milliwatt and as far as I know Futaba has all their FASST transmitters set to use that. Why Futaba choose to have the high end transmitters and modules region coded I'm not sure but I suppose It has to do with devide the sales and service regions so to avoid world wide competition. Lets say You find a 12FG in Asia much cheaper then you can find in US - then the region code will make it dificult and expensive to start to use it in US and so You buy it in US instead. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. I have a Futaba 14MZ that region code has been changed in once. I have a US and European TM-14 module for it. If You want to have a Futaba radio the 8FG Super is not region coded and can be used in US and Europe so that would be my first choice for a situation you are in.
Of course other brands will be fine also if you check the regulations and actions needed for themto be used in US and UK in your case.

/Bo

forrest gump 07-17-2011 12:36 PM

just buy your radio in the uk when you arrive.Its only the transmitter that changes region etc so pick your brand ,buy all your rx cheap in the USA and buy your tx here to help the economy you are moving too!...FG

PS..where roughly in the UK are you moving too...you could be close to me!