RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Help me set up my DX7 with retracts please (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10658963-help-me-set-up-my-dx7-retracts-please.html)

Wheelnut 08-06-2011 07:57 PM

Help me set up my DX7 with retracts please

Hi guys,

This is my first plane with retracts and I can't seem to find anything in the DX7 book about retracts.
So far, I have the ailerons on a Y splitter on the aileron channel. And I'm guessing I can't set up the retracts on a Y splitter because one retract would go up and the other would go down, So I have one retract on the gear and the other on the aux. So now I just need to know how to set up the programming to get it set up right.
Thanks for any help.
Oh, just in case you're wondering, it's a 55" wingspan Spitfire I got from Hobbycity.

I did a search on this site and RCG and couldn't find a thread where anyone explained this.
Thanks

tacx 08-07-2011 06:37 PM

RE: Help me set up my DX7 with retracts please

You should be able to Y harness your retracts into the gear channel of your reciever. Then use the "gear" switch on the upper left hand of your DX7. With a Y harness you are simply sending the same command to the retracts.

Wheelnut 08-08-2011 05:24 AM

I did that and they go the opposite ways as expected.

BuschBarber 08-08-2011 05:36 AM

ORIGINAL: tacx

You should be able to Y harness your retracts into the gear channel of your reciever. Then use the ''gear'' switch on the upper left hand of your DX7. With a Y harness you are simply sending the same command to the retracts.
I have an H9 P47-150. Each Main Retract has it's own servo. Dual Flaps, Dual Elevator Halves, and Dual Retracts all usually require that one of the servos be Reversed. I do not recommend Reversing Y Harnesses as the Reversed side tends to drift off of Neutral every couple of flights and the Reversing circuit picks up RF Noise and causes glitching in some radios.

I put each Retract servo on a separate channel and mix them using a programmable mixer. If that is not acceptable, use a JR Matchbox. It allows you to connect up to 4 servos to the same channel (2 in your case) and set Neutral, End Points, and Servo Direction for each. Since Retract servos are not Porportional, you may only be able to set Servo Direction.

I use Channel Mixing.

With a DX7, I choose the Flapperon Wing Type and put the Aileron servos on Ch2 and Ch6. You could put the Retracts on Ch5 and Ch7, using a Programmable Mixer to mix the two channels using the Gear Switch as usual.

Wheelnut 08-08-2011 02:33 PM

my rx is only a 6 channel rx, so I'm using one channel for the ailerons which are on a Y splitter, and I'm using two channels for each retract servo. The problem is somewhere in the mixing. I have set Aux2 to INH and in mix1 I have made Gear the master and AUX the slave and set the rates at 100%. But when I flip the switch, only one servo is moving. If I swap the ports for the two retract servos, the other servo starts moving and the one that was moving stops. I have also tried another rx and same deal.

tacx 08-08-2011 04:35 PM

I believe if you set the AUX channel to INH it won't do anything. INH means Inhibit. Meaning you are turning off that channel.

BuschBarber 08-08-2011 05:31 PM

ORIGINAL: tacx

I believe if you set the AUX channel to INH it won't do anything. INH means Inhibit. Meaning you are turning off that channel.
If you are going to slave Aux2 with another channel, you need to set it to Inh.

Wheelnut 08-08-2011 05:41 PM

Got it figured out.
I needed to use the Flap channel in the radio, since I was only using a 6 channel rx. Then I slaved flap to gear and it's working great:D
I have my ailerons on a splitter on channel 2.

Woooooooo Hooooooo