RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   JR12X Changing Switch Assignments (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/10779133-jr12x-changing-switch-assignments.html)

TOFAST4U2C 10-23-2011 03:45 PM

JR12X Changing Switch Assignments

I would like to have all my radios the same on switch assignments, timer, elevator, aileron, rudder ect so they all have the same basic feel. My new JR12X won’t let me assign the 3 position rudder switch to the Flap switch on the front of the radio. Is that correct? The manual leaves a lot to be desired in that area. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Zeeb 10-24-2011 06:20 AM

RE: JR12X Changing Switch Assignments

Ever done any JR programming before?

I ask because I had issues with switch assignment when I moved to JR from another brand. JR isn't as good as some other brands for this, but the 12X is d*mn close. One of the things they don't seem to mention or at least I never found it, was that in order to change a switch assignment you first have to inhibit the desired switch in the setup menu, then that switch will appear as an option when trying to assign something else.

There are still a few things it won't let you do, but not many.... ;)

TOFAST4U2C 10-24-2011 06:52 AM

First JR and I like the feel but not much else so far. So is that a I think I can response Zeeb? I tried to inhibit both original flap and rudder but maybe I got it wrong.

BuschBarber 10-24-2011 07:02 AM

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Ever done any JR programming before?

I ask because I had issues with switch assignment when I moved to JR from another brand. JR isn't as good as some other brands for this, but the 12X is d*mn close. One of the things they don't seem to mention or at least I never found it, was that in order to change a switch assignment you first have to inhibit the desired switch in the setup menu, then that switch will appear as an option when trying to assign something else.

There are still a few things it won't let you do, but not many.... ;)
I have to Inhibit the Switch, on my 9303, before it can be used for another purpose. This isn't a new feature.

AWorrest 10-24-2011 11:28 AM

The 12X switch assignability is limited. As far as I can see there is none for the rate switches. If it is really important, you might contact Horizon and see if they can relocate it for you.</p>

Allan</p>

Zeeb 10-25-2011 06:24 AM

ORIGINAL: TOFAST4U2C

First JR and I like the feel but not much else so far. So is that a I think I can response Zeeb? I tried to inhibit both original flap and rudder but maybe I got it wrong.
Well I haven't went and got mine out to see if I can do what you want, but as a for instance I'll tell you that I use Flight Modes and they are assigned to the Aileron D/R switch which is a three position. I also have some roll coupling mixes assigned to the flap switch with the "0" being off, the "1" is rudder/aileron and the "2" adds elevator to the rudder/aileron mix. Other issues do come up as both Allan and I mentioned; e.g. I like to use the "Mix" switch for engine kill and a fiber optic kill switch operating to close the throttle and kill the electrical power to the ignition module at the same time. There are only certain channels in the tx which will let you assign that switch to something different than it's default. The X9303 was much worse for restricting switch assignments and the kill switch was a case in point, only channels 5 and 9 could be assigned to the mix switch, on the Mustang I'm putting to gether now the kill switch is on channel 11 or what ever "Aux" channel that is... :)

Even as big as the manuals are for the 12X, there's just not any way to cover everything it'll do so asking questions as you've done here is a good start but you also have to be willing to play with the radio. Fortunately it's got LOTS of memory slots as well as computer backup so what I suggest is that when you get something working, back up the model to an empty slot. Then when you start messing around with the settings, you don't lose everything if you make a mistake. I do this right from the start when assembling a model and I replace the backup everytime I make a change that works. It's saved my "bacon" more than once.... lol

Don't be afraid to play with the thing, you'll learn a lot and once you start to figure out how JR does things, it's actually a much more intuitive process than what I was used to with the other brand radios and it caused me some frustration similar to what you're experiencing now.

TOFAST4U2C 10-25-2011 02:07 PM

Thanks Zeeb
I been working hard to find a fix but it looks like you cant do it. So it seems like putting triple rates for all surfaces on the Aux 2 switch will work and I will try to put the optical kill on the rudder switch. I usually like to keep my elevator separate on my birds so I dont know how I will like it. I have a 103" Extra with a DA120 to maiden and I dont want to put that high dollar bird in over poor radio settings.
I eventually will get the hang of it. It only took me a year to figure out the Futaba 9C. Thanks for the tip on making copys. Keep the info coming I have a long way to go.

Zeeb 10-26-2011 06:27 AM

Ummm.... You're not going to be able to split out a single control like your elevator while the rudder/ailerons run together and get triple rates. One of the things the JR won't do that the Futaba will since the JR doesn't have native triple rate programming. The only way to ge triple rates with the JR is to use the Flight Modes and that won't let you isolate one control surface on another switch.

Took me a bit to learn the 9C and I hated the elevator lag issue so I went to a 9Z WCII. You 'wanna talk about a tx that's tough to learn the programming... after three days and no triple rates I was ready to send it back to Tower... lol

I did eventually figure it out and that's a great radio but not user friendly so when I switched to JR/Spektrum, I thought I could figure it out in a day or two; not so. I've spent a lot of time over on FG where some real sharp guys were really helping folks out with programming questions on the 12X. I've had mine three years now and I'm still learning new things it'll do which I've not seen documented any where before. It's a great radio but as we mentioned, it doesn't quite have the switch assignment versatility you get with Futaba.

Oh, you're 'gonna LOVE that 120. I have one on the 2.6 Comp-Arf in my avatar and at 28.0lbs the DA hauls that thing around like a foamie. Be prepared to do some experimenting with props.