RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Beginner getting into RC planes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1101974-beginner-getting-into-rc-planes.html)

AirBot 08-30-2003 10:46 AM

Beginner getting into RC planes

Hi everyone.

I'm a flight enthusiast and have recently decided to purchase an RC plane through eBay. My main questions are regarding the radio transmitter: does it have a set frequency or can it be easily changed? What I mainly want to know is will I have any problems importing the plane into Israel because of radio frequency limitations on imported goods?

Also, I will appreciate any other help and advice you can give me to get me on my way, since I know very little regarding RC planes.

amcross 08-30-2003 05:37 PM

Gday Airbot! I dont know what radio frequencies are legal in your country. yo'ull need to start there.

the receivers will NOT be easily changed from one band to another, it would need replacement.

the transmitter is only easily chagned from one band to another if it has a module which you take out and put in another module on the right channel.

i would suggest you begin by finding out what is legal and safe in your country. you could even try posting a thread here called "anyone fly in israel" or 'what's legal in israel" to get you more specific help.

AirBot 08-30-2003 06:53 PM

Thanks amcross. I think I'll just contact the proper authorities and ask them what is the legal frequency range. Thanks for the reply - that's pretty much the jist of what I needed to know :)
Just one more right now though - is there some kind of standard frequency right now on which most transmitters operate? I've seen mostly ones that operate on 27 MHz, so that seems pretty widespread. But it may just be the ones I've come across.

amcross 08-30-2003 06:57 PM

airbot,
In the US the frequencies for models are:
72MHz for airplanes only
75MHz for ground modesl (cars boats etc) only
27MHz for both air/ground (toys mostly)
50MHz for HAM licensed (amateur radio license) only

AirBot 08-31-2003 07:33 AM

Thanks for the explanation. I was just wondering - what does air/ground mean? The item I'm looking at (a Shunda Accipiter Badius) doesn't look like it can also maneuver on the ground - so I'm stomped.
Incidentally, I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on that plane and whether it's any good. On second thought though, I guess that's a topic for a whole different thread :p

amcross 08-31-2003 11:52 AM

air/ground means the channels can be used for flying things (aircraft, heli, etc) or for ground things (cars, boats, etc). 27mhz is usually used for toy items like little park flyers, little toy rc cars, etc.

AirBot 08-31-2003 02:06 PM

Great! Thanks very much for all the help amcross! :D