RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Hobbico vs. Tower Hobbies servos (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11216122-hobbico-vs-tower-hobbies-servos.html)

8thscale 09-03-2012 03:05 PM

Hobbico vs. Tower Hobbies servos

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm looking at the metal geared, HT versions for a GP 70 Revolver. Since I have to purchase 4-5 of these, i wanted to see if these were a viable alternative to the same spec servos from Futaba or Hitec.

Thanks in advance Fellas!

-Steve

fiery 09-03-2012 03:54 PM

RE: Hobbico vs. Tower Hobbies servos

Re-badged Futaba and Hitecs mostly.

I have never had any issues with my Tower, or Hobbico Command, servo's. Open them up and you see the Hitec serial ID's on them.

Jetdesign 09-03-2012 05:26 PM

It seems the smaller ones are typically Hitec, the larger are Hitec and Futaba. There may or may not be a name brand clone, it could be a similar servo geared to Hobbico's spec. Not sure why there is a difference in price between Tower and Hobbico servos, they are usually the same servo and sometimes Tower is more.

I bought a fleet of the CS-10 or something, but still haven't started the project yet. The specs are good. Maybe this weekend.

JCINTEXAS 09-03-2012 05:43 PM

I have been flying my Balsa Nova 120 (80 inch wingspan, Mark 1.35 Glow engine) for about 3 years using the Hobbico CS-160 Standard Digital HT/HS 2BB MG and the Tower Hobbies TS-160 Std Digital HT HS 2BB MG Servo. These have been good servos....haven't had any problems with over 250 flights. One of the Hobbico servos arrived dead on arrival. I phoned Tower and they immediately replaced it....didn't even ask me to send back the dead servo. The Balsa Nova 120 will put higher loads on the servos than your Revolver. I recommend them...really good servos at a very reasonable price.

8thscale 09-04-2012 03:58 PM

Thanks Guys for the reply.

Sounds like either brand is a very good value.

-Steve

Zeeb 09-05-2012 04:13 AM

'Oughta be similar since Hobbico owns Tower Hobbies and a BUNCH of other hobby companies.... :)

Bax 09-05-2012 05:48 AM

All of our brands can be found at the website below:

http://www.bestrc.com

A.T. 09-05-2012 01:50 PM

ORIGINAL: 8thscale Hello, Has anyone had any experience with these? I'm looking at the metal geared, HT versions for a GP 70 Revolver. Since I have to purchase 4-5 of these, i wanted to see if these were a viable alternative to the same spec servos from Futaba or Hitec. Thanks in advance Fellas! -Steve
Differences outlined under Servo - Horn Arm Spline Count and Inter Brand Compatibility
<span style="font-size: smaller">"Hobbico - Tower System 2000 servos are identical to either Futaba or Hitec (except the rebadged Hitec digitals are not programmable),
varying only by label and part number. Tower brand are pre-fixed TS. Hobbico are pre-fixed HS. The Hobbico brand is sold to hobby shops,
while the Tower brand is sold only by Tower Hobbies. Both brands are marketed by Great Planes.
Digital = TS-140 is a Futaba built servo and the TS-160 is a Hitec built servo.
Analog = TS 3000 series servos are made by Futaba.
HS &amp; TS 2000 series servos are made by Hitec, TS-51= Hitec HS-300.
Hobbico CS65=Hitec HS-605, CS67= HS-425, CS71= HS-615MG, CS72= HS-700BB,
CS59= HS-77BB, CS35=Hitec HS-225BB.
<font color="#ff0000">Wire colours and connectors are good indicators of the respective HS-TS servo manufacturer.</font>]"
</span>
NB:The rebadged Hitec digital servos are not progammale as are those with the Hitec label.
. Hitec Servo Chart (pdf) Dec 2012

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model &amp; RC FAQ Web Links