RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   DSM2 receiver and DSMX transmitter (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11320284-dsm2-receiver-dsmx-transmitter.html)

tomd-RCU 12-05-2012 04:38 AM

DSM2 receiver and DSMX transmitter

Here is my problem. I was recently given a DSM2 turnigy receiver by a friend. I use a DX8 transmitter upgraded to DSMX.
I have bound the receiver to the radio. However everything turns out to be OK except that the rudder servo jitters continuously.

I have replaced the servo, and the problem persists. I have changed brand of servo and the problem still persists.

Is the problem the receiver or the fact that I use DSMX on a DSM2 receiver ?

I don't have another DSM2 receiver to experiment.

Can I run this type of receiver on DSMX or is it not advisable to do so ?

I have researched the subject and I did not find a definitive answer.

SkidMan 12-05-2012 06:04 AM

RE: DSM2 receiver and DSMX transmitter

A couple quick bullet points.
<ul>[*]There is absolutely no problem running a DSM2 receiver on a DSMX transmitter.[*]A DSM2 receiver cannot run DSMX. [/list]
Try running a different servo on the rudder channel to see if it still jitters.</p>

<br type="_moz"/></p>

BuschBarber 12-05-2012 06:27 AM

ORIGINAL: tomd-RCU

Here is my problem. I was recently given a DSM2 turnigy receiver by a friend. I use a DX8 transmitter upgraded to DSMX.
I have bound the receiver to the radio. However everything turns out to be OK except that the rudder servo jitters continuously.

I have replaced the servo, and the problem persists. I have changed brand of servo and the problem still persists.

Is the problem the receiver or the fact that I use DSMX on a DSM2 receiver ?

I don't have another DSM2 receiver to experiment.

Can I run this type of receiver on DSMX or is it not advisable to do so ?

I have researched the subject and I did not find a definitive answer.

Spektrum DSM2 Rx's will work with Spektrum DSM2/DSMX Tx's because the Tx switches to DSM2. Spektrum DSMX Rx's will work with with DSM2 only Tx's and DSM2/DSMX Tx's. You take your chances with clones.

BarracudaHockey 12-05-2012 06:36 AM

Rich just gave you the definitive answer

Edwin 12-05-2012 07:34 AM

Do you have any amplified Y servo cables in your setup? Spektrum says not to do that and may have been passed on to the orange products. I have seen a servo on another channel cause a different servo to act up. Start with just the one servo plugged in, if its ok, plug another in and so on. If its still a problem, try a different channel. This should help hound dogging the problem. You may have just been given a bad receiver.
Edwin

tomd-RCU 12-05-2012 08:24 AM

Thank you all with your answers.

There is no amplified Y connector. Like I said, all the other channels are fine except the rudder.

I conclude that the receiver is defective.

countilaw 12-06-2012 09:17 PM

Is this one of those "orange" receivers?

Frank

tomd-RCU 12-07-2012 03:16 AM

Yes it is an orange DSM2 six channel receiver originally bought from Hobby King.

tomd-RCU 12-07-2012 03:38 AM

In my post I said that I concluded that the receiver is defective. It occured to me that maybe this receiver is not compatible with DSMX.

I would like to hear from anyone who has used this receiver ( orange six channel DSM2) with a DSMX transmitter.

BarracudaHockey 12-07-2012 04:31 AM

Your problem with the rudder isn't the protocol.

If the protocol was the issue, nothing would work.

Rafael23cc 12-07-2012 08:25 AM

I have a couple of those orange receivers on a pair of foamies. My Radio is an older 9303 with a DSM2 spektrum module. Recently, i noticed a little oscillation on the rudder of one of the foamies. Since it IS a foamie I did not pay attention, neither I care. And because they are FOAMIES is the only reason they were outfitted with orange receivers.

The old adage of "you get what you pay for" applies here. I would not use one of those receivers in anything I'd like to take home in one piece day after day.

Rafael