RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   servo reversing question? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11591528-servo-reversing-question.html)

ve7dpg 12-14-2013 10:22 PM

servo reversing question?

Hi all my question is this I need to reverse a servo for flap operation on a Sig rascal 110 i have purchased an expert servo reversing y harness which seems to work, but I was thinking of mechanically reversing the servo direction, which too me would seem to be the best way of doing it other than adding that reversing circuit built into the reversing y harness. the servo in question is a hitec hs-645mg

Just looking for your thoughts on the subject

Thanks Warren:confused:

kenworthbob 12-15-2013 01:58 AM

Hi, I have, several times, reversed my own servos. Most of them can be reversed if you are handy and know how to solder, and have good eyes. You have to take the servo apart carefully. Reverse the servo motor leads at the motor or the circuit board. Take the outer 2 wires off the position pot and reverse them also. Do not remove or change the position of the pot, or the centering will change. Make sure the solder joints are good. Another option is that you can buy reverse servos from most manufacturers. ������have fun and happy flying.

airbusdrvr 12-15-2013 05:04 AM

Does your transmitter/receiver have enough channels to connect each flap servo to a separate channels?

BarracudaHockey 12-15-2013 05:29 AM

Depending on your radio the reversing Y harness might not be a good idea. Spektrum specifically warns against using them.

Truckracer 12-15-2013 11:57 AM

Many servos these days do not allow for reversing via moving wires. In these cases the circuit board is soldered directly to the motor and pot leads.

How about programmable servos that can be reversed? This might be a more expensive solution but at least no external hardware or additional radio channels are needed.

A.T. 12-15-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by ve7dpg (Post 11685195)
Hi all my question is this I need to reverse a servo for flap operation on a Sig rascal 110 i have purchased an expert servo reversing y harness which seems to work, but I was thinking of mechanically reversing the servo direction, which too me would seem to be the best way of doing it other than adding that reversing circuit built into the reversing y harness. the servo in question is a hitec hs-645mg
Just looking for your thoughts on the subject Thanks Warren

from

There are a number of reasons why reversing Y are discouraged e.g. frequently the "reversed" servo operates slower than the other.
Another quick reverse is to use Hitec x! & Futaba for the othef. Futaba servo operate in the reverse direction to
Hitc/JR/Spektrum/Airtronics and most other brands.

A few examples from my web page, sub section:
"Servo - Modify for Retracts, Swing, Number of Turns, Ganging, Reverse & Continuous Rotation "
. Servo - DIY Reverse Rotation Servo - DIY Reverser, Driver, Direct Controller and other mods.
. Servo - Reverse operation . DIY pictorial Servo - Reverser for Y-cord operation - If site down, email Alan for copy.
. Servo - Modify HS-322HD for continuous rotation Servo - Modify HS-311 for continuous rotation
. Servo - Modify for 360 degree rotation. Servo - Modify Digital for infinite rotation, 360 degree rotation
. Servo - Modify HS-81 & HS-85 for 180 degree rotation
Servo - Modify HS-55 & HS-85MG for Continuous rotation
. Servo - Modify non digital for 180 dregree rotation
. Servo - Retract Conversion (S-148)

Much more information available under sub sections
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.

ve7dpg 12-15-2013 12:52 PM

okay thanks to all for the ideas, my radio is a hitec eclipse 7 and after looking at reversing the servo itself i should of done that before burying it in the wing,it would be a pain to pull it back out. Another question i have is if you can mechanically reverse the servo do you have to readjust the center?

thanks Warren

pilotpete2 12-15-2013 01:12 PM

Can you flip one of the flap servos over so that they are NOT in a mirror image. Regardless of what the assembly photo shows, both flap servo output shafts should be pointing to the same wingtip. I'm a bit disappointed to see a company like Sig get a detail such as this wrong. When rigged correctly, you should be able to have the flap servos on a Y harness without having to reverse a servo. The problem is that your flaps are rigged as ailerons, not flaps.
Pete

Truckracer 12-15-2013 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by pilotpete2 (Post 11685605)
Can you flip one of the flap servos over so that they are NOT in a mirror image. Regardless of what the assembly photo shows, both flap servo output shafts should be pointing to the same wingtip. I'm a bit disappointed to see a company like Sig get a detail such as this wrong. When rigged correctly, you should be able to have the flap servos on a Y harness without having to reverse a servo. The problem is that your flaps are rigged as ailerons, not flaps.
Pete

That would just make too much sense! ;):mad:

LARRYKOP 12-15-2013 02:58 PM

Hi Guys,
I reversed an Airtronics Std 102 servo. It took several tries as the first one didn't work. I just pitched it. The circuit board is soldered to the motor terminals and I used a # 11 blade to cut the circuit board traces. The two wires going to the pot where a lot harder to do because space is pretty tight. You need to reverse the motor terminals and the pot terminals.
Larry

c550 12-18-2013 03:18 PM

Servo city has a lot of reverse operating servos. Usually it adds $10 to the price, but it is better than a reversing Y which will more than likely give you problems.