RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Hitec Aurora 9 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11600305-hitec-aurora-9-a.html)

ejames7699 06-14-2014 04:25 PM

Hitec Aurora 9

I've got a Hitec Aurora 9, I've built a Yak 85 cc airplane with Digital High voltage servos. Im running 2 Li-ion 4.4 amp battery packs and when planes is started the voltage display fluctuates constantly. I flew it anyway and it seemed as if I lost aileron momentarily and it came back and I landed the plane immediately. All of my other gas planes does not have this problem nor do they have this size of servo. Is it possible the current draw is too high with the larger servos and I need larger batteries?

A.T. 06-14-2014 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by ejames7699 (Post 11823721)
I've got a Hitec Aurora 9,
I've built a Yak 85 cc airplane with Digital High voltage servos.
Im running 2 Li-ion 4.4 amp battery packs and when planes is started the voltage display fluctuates constantly.
I flew it anyway and it seemed as if I lost aileron momentarily and it came back and I landed the plane immediately.
All of my other gas planes does not have this problem nor do they have this size of servo.
Is it possible the current draw is too high with the larger servos and I need larger batteries?

Highly possible that the current draw momentarily exceeds that which the Li-ion can deliver,
Li-ion are not foolproof, especially if the plugs and wiring harness is inadequate.
The following posts will answer most, if not all questions:

. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #1 - caution re NiMH & Alert re LiFE.
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #2 - caution re NiMH.
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - Dual or Multiple Batteries may be installed - Avoid Brownout & Add Redundancy, even one for each servo.
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC connection & Lead FAQ for EP & GP models - with schematics and Photos.
...Low & High Voltage setup, Current Draw/Amps - Warning: Never use Balance Taps - Video
. Servo - How to calculate Servo Extension Lead Gauge Required for Analogue & Digital Servo

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, 9X, AFHSS 2.4Ghz Module, Transceivers, Receivers & Telemetry
- FAQ, Setups & Tips

Much more information available under sub section:
"Battery Care, Performance & DIY Battery Packs."
and
"ESC & BEC - Setup to prevent majority of all RF Problems, Brownouts & Crashes"
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.