RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   futaba radios to convert (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11627047-futaba-radios-convert.html)

jrok 02-26-2016 07:30 AM

futaba radios to convert

Hello To start off I am just returning after a 17 years away from the [email protected] wasnt even thought of i dont think . My question is what futaba radios with module can convert using a spektum 2.4 module.I have a t9cap that I picked up but what other radio in the futaba line can I use thinking newer is better.I have 2 8 channel modules on hand to use.

yorkiepap 02-26-2016 07:50 AM

Hey jrok,
You have a very capable radio with the T9CAP & simply only need to get the Spektrum TM-8 2.4 module. If any of the module-based Futaba radios will change from PCM to PPM, you can use the Spektrum module. If your T9 has all the programming functions you need, then why change? I fly with an older JR10X w/both 72Mhz modules & Spektrum DM-9 2.4Ghz modules & never needed another Tx since the 10X has every feature I will ever need for my flying style/parameters. If you feel you may need more features that you radio can deliver, then perhaps, look to a Futaba T10CAP. If you want telemetry, then you will definitely need to upgrade to a more advanced radio, or use an after-market system such as those found on the HK site.

Denny

Zeeb 02-26-2016 08:02 AM

The bad part about using a Futaba 9C is the latency between the elevators. The primary is on channel 2 with the secondary being on channel 8. You can actually see the lag by operating the elevators on the ground. Supposedly there is a way to do a mix putting the second elevator channel on #5 like the 9Z but I'm not familiar with that modification.

Secondly, the difference in the feel of native 2.4 system to the older 72MHz stuff is just unbelievable. I had a 9C and a 9Z so I've seen the problem. My brother kept using his old 9C until I gave him a native 2.4GHz setup and he was just floored.

I suggest that the OP buy a new radio as they are out there for prices not a lot more than what a module for the 9C will cost him.

Oh, I should ad something else; the programming interface on newer radios is much more user friendly and the capabilities of the newer radios, even the less expensive ones, are substantially more powerful than the 9C

Truckracer 02-26-2016 09:09 AM

+1 to what Zeeb said. I also highly recommend buying a new radio and will add a few reasons. First, most any radio you use will be getting some age on it now days! Age isn't a good thing in this case as you may see stick pot problems, trim switch problems, etc. At minimum, the transmitter may need a new battery. Second, the Spektrum module is based on dated DSM2 technology that Spektrum abandoned several years ago in their new equipment. Yes, DSM2 is still supported but I couldn't recommend that someone start out with that system when better systems are available in all brands including Spektrum.

I understand the desire to keep an older transmitter going rather than just tossing it and I considered going that route some years ago. But doing the math and making comparisons, I just couldn't justify wasting the money on something that would be just a stop gap measure. There are so many low cost, decent systems out there these days, using an old transmitter with a new module just doesn't seem like a good way to go.

jrok 02-26-2016 09:48 AM

I have some new one too a Tactis 858 And a Spektum dx7 just have to more spektum 8 channel modules for futaba