RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   100 cc size plane, average Milliamps used per flight? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11632147-100-cc-size-plane-average-milliamps-used-per-flight.html)

WRK 08-26-2016 03:02 PM

100 cc size plane, average Milliamps used per flight?

I have a 23 LB, 100 CC size aerobatic plane and am wondering what the approximate Milliamp usage should be per flight? Plane has 9 digital servos and a chock servo, I am in the process of recharging the batteries for the first time after the first it's first 10 minute flight.

Would like to know what others have experienced with this type of setup as far as battery drain.

Thnaks

All Day Dan 08-27-2016 11:14 AM

Good question. You can do it yourself and it will reflect the actual amount for your style of flying. Peak charge your battery. Fly for 10 minutes. Peak charge your battery. Write down the amount that the charger replaced. Do this six times. The amounts should be pretty close to each other. Add the six values. This is the amount of milliamp hours you consumed in one hour. It is also the average amount of current your setup consumed when you fly. If you fly for one hour each time you are at the field make sure that the battery pack you use has double that amount for a safety factor of two. Don't trust the value written on the pack. Measure it yourself with a cycler and use the correct cut of value for the battery chemistry in use. Dan.

Truckracer 08-27-2016 03:59 PM

The actual usage per flight will depend on quite a few factors including your flying style, the particular airplane and how big the control surfaces are, the servos used, etc. just to mention a few factors. Your airplane may use more or less power than similar ones of the same type. You'll have to determine the exact power used per flight by recharging the batteries then dividing by the number of flights. That will tell you the power used by your airplane and that's what counts .... not what someone else's plane uses.

Steve Percifield 08-28-2016 01:33 AM

I have a 28 lb , 30% Aerowworks Edge 540. I use 2, 2500 NImh batteries. 9 Hitec digital servos. Flying a normal Intermediate IMAC sequence twice, uses , on average 175mah from each battery..Hope that helps..

WRK 08-28-2016 06:17 AM

Thanks for the info I am using more like 800mah per flight I know it is too much just wonder what an approximate normal number is for this size plane, have to do some investigating!

Steve Percifield 08-28-2016 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by WRK (Post 12251673)
Thanks for the info I am using more like 800mah per flight I know it is too much just wonder what an approximate normal number is for this size plane, have to do some investigating!

MAH use is dependent on your style of flying. An IMAC sequence doesn't really use a lot of servo movement. If you 3D then the servos are moving to extremes constantly and will use a lot of current. But you may have a stalled servo, or multiple servos working against each other. A simple amp meter in line with the servo will tell you what it is drawing. Compare that to the servo specs to see if it is excessive.

All Day Dan 08-28-2016 07:27 PM

WRK, I fly 20 pound planes with a 50cc engine and use a four cell NiCad battery pack. I fly in circles at full power most of the time. The consumption per hour is 600mah. It a number you can calculate for yourself for your particular set up and flying habits. 800mah for “a flight” sounds like a lot. Assuming that you flew for 10 minutes, that is 4800mah per hour or an average consumption of 4800ma. I would advise you to do some recalculation in accordance with the way I or Truck recommended. Dan.

Hemikiller 09-09-2016 11:21 AM

I have a 50cc Sbach, with 6 Savox digital brushless HV servos and one other HV digital for choke. Battery is a single Fromeco Relion 5200 and it also powers the ignition. I'm putting in 800~1000 mah after two easy flights with some 3D maneuvers. These Savox servos are known to be power hogs, so your mileage may vary.

All Day Dan 09-10-2016 06:21 AM

Good information Hemi. Dan.

WRK 09-10-2016 06:30 AM

I was able to reduce my MAH usage by about 260 by putting in JR match boxes on the wing servos, they were not fighting in all positions but were working against each other in some places, now there is no fighting or binding any where so that is as good as it is going to get which leaves me at about 750 to 800 MAH per flight with some
3D.

Silent-AV8R 09-11-2016 08:19 AM

I have a 70cc biplane (77" top wing - Mamba from Flex) with 6 HTHV digitals plus the throttle servo. I also run the Ignition off the 2x2,600 lion (Fromeco) packs using an Aero-Tech IBEC.

My average amp load per flight is right at 2 amps. I use a total of 400 mAh of capacity per 12 minute flight. With 5,200 total capacity and using a useable capacity of 70% (3,640 maH) I can easily get 9 x 12-minute flights per charge with a good margin of safety built in. That works out to right around 33 mAh of capacity per minute of flight.