RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Several Questions... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11634710-several-questions.html)

JoshJdog 12-06-2016 02:37 PM

Several Questions...

Hi I'm new to rc planes and have a couple questions about the wiring. The plane I'm building is a trainer(sig kadet junior) and I will be putting a K&B .28 on it. It has a 48 in. wingspan. I found some servos that look good for a good price but I'm concerned with their weight. They weigh 49g. Should I look into micro servos for this plane or will these be fine? It is a 3 channel plane so I will need three of whatever I end up getting. This is also a really stupid question but I see these planes with switches coming out the side to turn on the radio equipment, do the transmitters come with them? Is there anything else in the electrical circuit I need besides a receiver, servos, and battery? Hope someone can help!

Xpress 12-06-2016 03:34 PM

Sounds like you have a lot of reading to do... ;)

Here is a basic rundown of what's going to happen:

-You will need to pick a transmitter, generally they do not come with servos nowadays, only receivers. Modern 2.4Ghz transmitters and receivers are proprietary and only work with each other, for example Hitec only works with Hitec and Futaba only works with Futaba. There are some Chinese brands that can interchange but I always recommend using OEM equipment. Since you're going to use a glow engine for power, I'm going to suggest you use a receiver that is NOT designated as a 'Parkflyer' type receiver.

-Servo choice is going to be totally up to you, but that particular airplane was designed around a standard servo (since that's all that was available back then) so you should be fine using something like a Hitec HS-322HD. Smaller servos may not handle the engine vibrations, the 322 will work for your control surfaces and throttle.

-You will need to use a switch between your battery and your receiver. You don't really need an "HD" (heavy duty) style switch for this particular model, a standard switch will work fine. You may want to use a switch that has a charge jack built into it so you do not need to remove the battery from the airplane to charge it. Some transmitters come with a receiver switch and some do not.

-Most transmitters do not come with a receiver battery, or a charger for a receiver battery. You will want to procure an appropriate charger for your receiver pack, as well as a proper receiver battery. Any 4 or 5 cell 2/3AA 1200-2000mah NiMH battery will serve you well, and they are generally inexpensive (a 5 cell pack is generally going to be a better option). A good charger would be the Hitec X1 AC Plus, it can charge just about every battery chemistry out there today.

-Nitro/Glow engines require special care with regards to their break-in and tuning. You would be best to seek a local club that can assist you with this endeavor. Electric power is the best approach to this airplane these days as the price of electric systems has come down considerably and can offer as good if not better performance than a comparable IBC engine.

There's a lot of information out there nowadays if you're new to RC, I'd suggest doing some googling around and checking out the beginner forums on some of the various RC websites for better guidance.

slopoke 12-11-2016 07:21 AM

You will save a lot of grief if you can find a local club to help. You will need a place to fly and most clubs have people who will fall over themselves to help and train noobs.

JoshJdog 12-11-2016 02:37 PM

Thank you very much for the thorough reply I truly appreciate it! Ya I know a club is the way to go just don't want to look like I know absolutely nothing haha thanks again

Zeeb 12-12-2016 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by JoshJdog (Post 12285611)
Thank you very much for the thorough reply I truly appreciate it! Ya I know a club is the way to go just don't want to look like I know absolutely nothing haha thanks again

Please do not take this as a criticism; you will be much better off letting the folks who are trying to teach you, that you don't know anything about stuff. That will let them proceed in a way that will cover all the stuff you need to know. And, trust me, a lot of it will have to be gone over several times because there's a lot to learn and some of it will be forgotten as you go along.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby, both are great.... :)

J330 12-12-2016 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by JoshJdog (Post 12285611)

Everyone started where you're at now, no one is going to treat you inferior. You can gain so much in a short period of time benefiting from others experience than trial and error method as many things can happen that you may not recognize in a pre-flight check, and a more seasoned helper would see it right away. Just go and check it out. Watch, listen, learn. No stupid questions at a club. What makes this hobby interesting is the fact that every day can be a learning experience. Going it alone can be very frustrating and many give up or crash what they have. I was there once trying it on my own. It didn't work out. When I started over and went to a club, I found out what I had been doing wrong. If I went in the first place, I'd be one plane ahead of where I'm at now!

blvdbuzzard 12-14-2016 11:13 AM

I have flown planes and helicopters for years and years. Well my brother and I started to race RC trucks at an indoor race track. We joked that we knew next to nothing about the cars. We walked in and every one helped out. They were glad more people were joining. It is the same at the field. New guy shows up, almost every one is open to helping. Let them know you are just starting out and you have not learned it "all" yet. they will be more than happy to help you get setup in the right way.

I can only think of one person in the clubs I have belonged to that was a grump to new peeps. Then again he was a grump to most people.

Take a Saturday and stop by the club and watch. Talk to them. You will have a good time and learn a lot.

Your plane is not going to need heavy duty anything. It will not put much stress or stain on the servos. So getting some budget mined servos will work.

These will work for your plane.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...univ-plug.html

Here is a simple battery for the plane.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...jr-z-conn.html

Here is a standard switch harness.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...onics-rcd.html

I have an old K&B .28. Runs well, pretty smooth for an old engine. The break in is super important on these old engines. You can make or break them in the first 30 seconds of run time. As they are are not ABC engines. They need to be broken in differently then other engines. They do run better with more castor oil than synthetic oils.

Buzz.

JoshJdog 12-15-2016 08:55 PM

Thanks for the help and parts suggested!!