RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   One handed flight? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11645098-one-handed-flight.html)

dji-mark 02-28-2018 07:11 AM

One handed flight?

Hi there, I have had the privilege of living for 17+ years with the use of one hand. I now hold the controller pointing rightward and my left pointer or middle finger is for the right sock and my thumb is for the left stick. I am getting into drone/plane flight (video shooting). I am wondering if anyone knows how to make or knows where to buy... a 8+ch one handed remote control? Also any suggestions on weather I should go fpv? My depth perception is screwed up, so I thought fpv might help?

I use spectrum stuff
I fly a dpi and a custom built quad copter.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

JollyPopper 02-28-2018 03:24 PM

I see that Spectrum DX8 has a single stick controller that will allow you to control all three control surfaces, rudder, elevator and ailerons with a single stick. The throttle is on a slider switch separate from the control surfaces stick. That radio may be easier for you to use.

foodstick 02-28-2018 06:28 PM

DjiMark... I am no expert on this.. but years ago someone posted about a setup they called WOBBLE STICKING.. They would mount a stick across the tops of both sticks. I believe they used ball joints to make it very secure and with no slop at the connections. The advantage for a one handed flier was you could sort of twist the cross piece to control elevator, and throttle together... yet (kind of) seperately.. while leaning both sticks left or right would make both ground handling, and rudder aileron mixing possible.

It obviously also makes some bad control mixing in some situations.. like crosswind take offs and landings, and trying to do precise rolls and flat turns.. However. If a person was wanting to fly badly, and maybe more scale type flying than 3D type flying.. Its an option. I must admit there is a certain thrill to the idea of learning this technique.. as it would be very challenging to learn/relearn?

Have fun with whatever you choose to do !

vasek 03-03-2018 02:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
There used to be (in the 80's) a single stick versions of some radios. Kraft was one of them.

I saw a thread here, where a gentlemen had one of those "oldies classics" modified for modern "jumping" frequencies (the original was the old 72 Hz freq. If you do a search for KRAFT "modern upgrade" you might get a hit.

Fabweb 03-03-2018 10:59 PM

Hello,
can be an idea here : http s://www.france-helico.com/topic/10232-radio-h%C3%A9lico-pour-handicap%C3%A9/

Fabrice

controlthenight 03-09-2018 07:10 AM

Err I just wrote a long reply explaining my similar experience then I accidentally closed out of it. Here are some links that I saved while researching the same subject in the past. I am not sure if they are all still valid or if they are relevant. Hopefully, you can find something helpful in one of these. I ended up just going with a tray and a neck strap. With a lot of practice, I can fly a fixed wing decent with my thumb and pointer finger. Best of luck, message me if you want to discuss further.
-Matt

controlthenight 03-09-2018 07:15 AM

OK, nevermind. I am not allowed to post links till I have more than 10 posts. Message me privately and I can give you my FB or something.

init4fun 03-09-2018 09:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by vasek (Post 12410457)
There used to be (in the 80's) a single stick versions of some radios. Kraft was one of them.

I saw a thread here, where a gentlemen had one of those "oldies classics" modified for modern "jumping" frequencies (the original was the old 72 Hz freq. If you do a search for KRAFT "modern upgrade" you might get a hit.

The red ACE RC transmitter in my picture has the rudder , elevator , and ailerons all on the single stick which would make it a perfect candidate for a modern 2.4 ghz update .