RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Hitec Aurora 9 discontinued? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11658387-hitec-aurora-9-discontinued.html)

propstryker 12-24-2018 04:59 PM

Hitec Aurora 9 discontinued?

Is it true that my favorite radio, the easiest to program computer radio on the marked is discontinued? Will Hitec still support it? Are receivers still available?

jwrich 12-25-2018 07:38 AM

Where did you hear about this? I have 2 of the these with several receivers, I love this radio?

Rich

smithfj 12-25-2018 12:50 PM

Go to hitecrcd.com and look under discontinued items It's in the airplane section. Looks like bye bye to me.
Frank

rcpilotny 12-25-2018 04:58 PM

Aurora 9x as well. Maybe they have a new radio coming. Aurora 9 is old by now hasn't it been at least 10 years since it came out? Hope they didn't discontinue the receivers! The A9 is my main radio and still need the receivers to be available.

Truckracer 12-25-2018 08:43 PM

It was posted on another forum by a Hitec sales rep that there are no further higher end radios in development. It was felt the market is saturated with radios of this type and with the current soft RC market, it just doesn't justify continued development at this time. I believe he said that receivers and support will be offered for the foreseeable future.

I flew the Aurora 9 for 4 seasons and enjoyed it very much but moved on for more features and channels. There is no shortage of quality radios these days but Hitec servos continue to be some of my favorites.

propstryker 12-26-2018 02:42 PM

Indeed, the Aurora 9 has been my favorite radio. I think it has been about 10 years since I bought it, right when it came out. I have a message into Hitec to see if service support will still be available along with receivers. They are out until after the 1st. I have just inherited a Spektrum DX18 which looks to be my new go-to radio. I still prefer the ease of use of the Aurora. I have a few more new receivers and will keep flying it until I can no longer get it serviced. I will update everyone with Hitec's reply. Such a shame.

Hemikiller 12-28-2018 09:00 PM

Hitec rep "Xpress" on RCGroups posted that the radios are disco'd, however they have plenty of parts and the usual excellent Hitec service. I have both a 9 and a 9x.

Highflight 12-29-2018 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Hemikiller (Post 12489114)
Hitec rep "Xpress" on RCGroups posted that the radios are disco'd, however they have plenty of parts and the usual excellent Hitec service. I have both a 9 and a 9x.

But you should probably grab all the spare receivers you want ASAP.
The moment Hitec decides that sales of receivers are dropping, you can bet that they will go away as well.
While you're at it, I think that if you really really like the A9, you might want to pick up a spare one or two of them as well.
If you follow all that advice, you should be able to fly with the A9 system for another 10 years before having to migrate to a different one.

propstryker 01-01-2019 11:11 AM

I currently have three extra receivers. I also have a Spektrum DX18 TX, a new, more capable transmitter. I think I will use the three extra Hitec receivers that I have and keep using the Aurora 9 for as long as I can. I will start migrating Spektrum receivers into future planes. I like to think that Spektrum will be around for awhile. It is hard to believe that I have had this Hitec radio for 10 years now. I have gotten my money's worth out of it. I would like to find stronger gimbal springs for the Hitec radio if anyone has ideas on that. Let's see what Hitec says about receivers and support for the 9 after they get back from the new year break.

Xpress 01-03-2019 09:49 AM

Aurora 9 has been discontinued for a few years now. Aurora 9X went last quarter of 2018. No longer compliant on manufacturing level.

Optima/Minima receivers, Flash 7 and Flash 8 will still be made as we have customers who purchase those items in bulk still.

propstryker 01-16-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 12490844)
Aurora 9 has been discontinued for a few years now. Aurora 9X went last quarter of 2018. No longer compliant on manufacturing level.

Optima/Minima receivers, Flash 7 and Flash 8 will still be made as we have customers who purchase those items in bulk still.

Gentlemen, this is our answer. I am unsure what "no longer compliant on manufacturing level" means regarding this radio. This is a term that can mean many things in the manufacturing world. Not ISO compliant? Not compliant to sell in another country? Unsure what it means. Unfortunately this radio has gone bye bye. Too bad. I will continue to use it as long as I can. I have three more receivers for it. I have a Spektrum DX18 in the wings. I think for me it makes no sense to purchase more receivers for this radio. It is a great radio, all that I need, but they will run out of parts at some point. It sounds like Hitec will support the radio as long as they can. As good as it is, it is also older technology. I will put the extra three receivers in other planes and purchase Spektrum receivers when I need additional receivers. Thank you Hitec for my favorite radio in the 31 years I have been flying RC.

king bily 01-17-2019 12:53 AM

hitex

TampaRC 01-17-2019 04:08 AM

"No longer compliant on manufacturing level. " Not only is this a fragmented sentence, it makes no sense what so ever. This is a typical Hitec sales associate answer.

E-Challenged 01-18-2019 12:26 PM

I am somewhat surprised at the loyalty of A9 users. I have used the A9 and Optima receivers since the original A9 was first sold. I have had unexplained crashes in the past, but not lately, suspected local cell phone system interference with A9 and other systems, but unproven. My only real complaint was with the clarity and completeness of A9 user's manual and instructions provided with receivers and 2.4 GHz modules. I had particular problems with getting 3-position flaps to work properly in my scale electric powered models. I finally got trimmable 3-position flaps working on two servos with slowed servo action, I also had confusion and problems with the "scan" vs "normal" modes and awkward binding procedures. A recent transmitter software update via the HP-22 PC interface device has prevented further accidental scan/normal mode problems when binding or range checking a new receiver. All that said, I have been well satisfied with Hitec support service and personal help from techs by phone and e-mail. BTW, I like using the SPC port connection to give "brownout proof" power to Optima receivers and separate power to servos via the speed control's BEC or separate switch mode BEC.I like watching in- flight motor battery voltage via the SPC setup. I did manage to "fry" a receiver by plugging the SPC cable in reversed polarity working in poor light without my glasses. I don't like that my A9 has no "model match" feature which is a patented Specktrum feature . Lack of this feature allows any of my models with battery mistakenly left connected to respond to my A9 transmitter and start up in the pits. Not a problem with IC models though. By the time repair support from Hitec is no longer available, I may no longer be around, I just turned 80. BTW, I built my first vacuum tube RC system in the late 50's

Xpress 01-21-2019 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by propstryker (Post 12494634)
Gentlemen, this is our answer. I am unsure what "no longer compliant on manufacturing level" means regarding this radio. This is a term that can mean many things in the manufacturing world. Not ISO compliant? Not compliant to sell in another country?

Originally Posted by TampaRC (Post 12494788)
"No longer compliant on manufacturing level. " Not only is this a fragmented sentence, it makes no sense what so ever. This is a typical Hitec sales associate answer.

This is the dumbed down answer, we are prohibited from disclosing all of the information. All you need to know is we can't manufacture it anymore, but it is perfectly fine to use on the end-user part of the equation.

Further questions, inquiries, or otherwise derogatory statements can be direct to my PM box.

king bily 02-07-2019 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by E-Challenged (Post 12495148)
I am somewhat surprised at the loyalty of A9 users. I have used the A9 and Optima receivers since the original A9 was first sold. I have had unexplained crashes in the past, but not lately, suspected local cell phone system interference with A9 and other systems, but unproven. My only real complaint was with the clarity and completeness of A9 user's manual and instructions provided with receivers and 2.4 GHz modules. I had particular problems with getting 3-position flaps to work properly in my scale electric powered models. I finally got trimmable 3-position flaps working on two servos with slowed servo action, I also had confusion and problems with the "scan" vs "normal" modes and awkward binding procedures. A recent transmitter software update via the HP-22 PC interface device has prevented further accidental scan/normal mode problems when binding or range checking a new receiver. All that said, I have been well satisfied with Hitec support service and personal help from techs by phone and e-mail. BTW, I like using the SPC port connection to give "brownout proof" power to Optima receivers and separate power to servos via the speed control's BEC or separate switch mode BEC.I like watching in- flight motor battery voltage via the SPC setup. I did manage to "fry" a receiver by plugging the SPC cable in reversed polarity working in poor light without my glasses. I don't like that my A9 has no "model match" feature which is a patented Specktrum feature . Lack of this feature allows any of my models with battery mistakenly left connected to respond to my A9 transmitter and start up in the pits. Not a problem with IC models though. By the time repair support from Hitec is no longer available, I may no longer be around, I just turned 80. BTW, I built my first vacuum tube RC system in the late 50's

Let me start out by saying I'm not associated with Hitec in any way, except that I bought one of their radio sets. I'm just posting about how much I lvoe it and can't get over what a good deal I got, and that I'm surprised not to see more of them around.

I still find it amazing that almost 2 years after I bought it you can still get this deal at this price... this is in Aus. dollars so the numbers are higher than in the USA. Middle of the 3rd row of this page:
https://www.modelflight.com.au/catal...SAAEgIrUfD_BwE

That's the same deal i got, only it was from a different supplier who has now closed down. Mine was $10 cheaper at the time. So for $AUD 499 it's the Aurora 9X (not the plain 9, the 9X is better), Optima 9 rx with telemetry, 4 servos (Hs-5484HB), HD switch harness with a charging point, Tx battery with a basic wall charger, a crappy plastic cage for 4 rechargeable AA rechargeables for the Rx (I wouldn't use it, but it's handy for charging my TV remote etc) and various hardware. The same pack without servos is $50 less... or look at it this way, add 4 reasonable servos for $50. Right now one AUD is worth 78c US, so the package I got would be about $US 390. I still think that's a great deal for all that stuff. The Tx alone is $399 AUD, and the Optima 9 I think is almost $100 these days (for a while it was actually cheaper than the 7 channel).

I've posted before how much I like this radio and I know others who know what they're talking about (eg. hobby store staff) say it's definitely under-rated. So easy to use, and I know some people regard it as a Korean toy but really it's good stuff. They certainly have made a reputation for a solid RF link, I've never seen the slightest hiccup in mine. I've heard people with expensive Futaba and JR lose binding sometimes or lose a model because of an interruption, but there are no stories I can find like that of this equipment. It's very rich in feautres and to get the same in another brand, costs more.

I knew a guy from Canada and another in the US who found it cheaper to buy that deal and pay shipping from Australia than to buy it locally to them. Maybe it's changed by now but that's still a good deal. When I decided I was getting into RC and needed a radio, I shopped around and was looking for an all-in-one kit like I remembered from the 80's, with Tx, Rx, servos, battery, charger, the works. There aren't so many these days and the only ones locally were all Hitec, that's what got me interested in the brand. Some people of course won't want this type of servo but for me, considering my position in the hobby and the fact that it only added a small cost to get 4 of them, it was just what I wanted. I use those servos all the time now and they have never given me the slightest problem, and neither has any of the rest of the set.
Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate
When I was looking for a radio at the time most of the other beginners I knew were buying Spektrum. I don't know Spektrum that well, I gather the DX6 and DX6i are quite different, and I think there's a 6E (is that the cheaper one?). They're supposed to be a good deal at that price point and they're certainly popular, but frankly I wasn't into it. I've had lessons with them on club trainers, and I nkow I'm spoiled by my further up-market Tx but I didn't like the feel - hollow, flimsy and light. To be fair I also found the cheaper Hitecs that way too. I love mine but I think I'd really only consider the Aurora 9 or 9X (and definitely the 9X over the 9, the 9's getting old anyway). If I'd got a DX6* I'd also have to get servos and everything else. I see one hobby store does a 6E and some sort of basic Rx for $AU 269, you could get cheap servos and have a worthwhile set for $300 or so for your trainer or whatever. But I would have only wanted to upgrade from that radio soon as possible and I'm much happier with what I've got, I won't want an upgrade for years to come.

It's extremely rich in features and I have to say, the interface is outstanding. I've used some expensive Futaba and JR or at least had a good look at them on the ground, and I wouldn't know where to start. I've had instructors who've never seen a Hitec before go to set up dual rates, expo or whatver, including programming a whole new model program, and just go and do it first time without asking me how to do anything or needing a manual, it's that simple to use. And it's not simple because it's basic, it's just a really well designed interface. It has many, many great features, all the curve points that other stuff has, lots of switches, sliders, virtual trims, all of that. Possibly there are other radios that have more or better of this or that but I challenge anyone to find them *for that price*. The closest equivalent I know of might be the Spektrum DX9, I've never seen the interface or had a chance to use one though there are a few at the club. But the Tx alone costs 20% more than my entire set with Tx, Rx, servos and everything else. I'm not aware of any programming or operating features it has that are better than the A9X.

It's not perfect, of course, and I have a couple of particular disappointments with it. First, just to get a firmware maintenance update, you have to buy separate hardware and go through a bit of effort, and it requires Windows specifically to do it, that's a problem. In this day and age why can it not have a mini-USB or something on it, there are many reasons that would be good to have. It also doesn't have a memory card slot. I've heard some people say it should have a nice hi-res colour screen like some Futabas but honestly I find those very hard to read in the sun, the LCD on mine is nice and clear in all conditions. The touch-screen interface is just infinitely easier to use, on top of that, than any combination of buttons or dials or whatever. No menuing system can ever rival directly hitting each function... like analogue mixing consoles for music. Sure, they're old, but that is definitely the superior interface. One control per function, and the A9X, every function has its own icon you can touch direct. Perfect.

If I bought Spektrum I'd still need to get servos and Rx, and here I am with a radio i really like. I guess I more than made the point that I like using it but the reason I bought it was value, I'd have had to live with a bad interface to get that combination of hardware and features (meaning the servos, Rx etc) due to budget, but it turns out to be a radio I like a great deal. I'm just surprised not to see many more of them around because it's such a good deal, but people are paying more for separate Tx, Rx, sevos and battery and ending up with basic gear they just have to upgrade. I suppose people don't know about the great value deals you can get on them here. I've seen people spend much more on buying separate stuff and still end up with a radio they'd have to trade in to get the features I've always had, cheaper, from the start. OK I made the point... I'm just happy to have what I've got.
My Hitec Aurora 9X, still a great deal

propstryker 02-08-2019 10:41 AM

Bottom line Xpress is that the radio is no longer available. I worked in the corporate world and manufacturing for 35 years. I understand that you are either not getting all the information or you are not allowed to share it. Either way, our favorite radio is history. All the radio manufacturers discontinue models at one point or another. 10 years is a good run, and I plan to use mine until it dies. I am in the middle of programming a new model with the A9. Man, I just love the ease of programming this radio. It actually makes programming fun. By the way, I have been using Hitec products since Hitec has been around. I use all Hitec chargers and servos and do not plan on any changes in the future. Great product and great support. I am not sure what is driving the derogatory comments here, but that has not been my experience. I have experienced nothing but the highest quality equipment, support and service from Hitec.

propstryker 02-08-2019 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by king bily (Post 12500723)
Let me start out by saying I'm not associated with Hitec in any way, except that I bought one of their radio sets. I'm just posting about how much I lvoe it and can't get over what a good deal I got, and that I'm surprised not to see more of them around.

I still find it amazing that almost 2 years after I bought it you can still get this deal at this price... this is in Aus. dollars so the numbers are higher than in the USA. Middle of the 3rd row of this page:
https://www.modelflight.com.au/catal...SAAEgIrUfD_BwE

That's the same deal i got, only it was from a different supplier who has now closed down. Mine was $10 cheaper at the time. So for $AUD 499 it's the Aurora 9X (not the plain 9, the 9X is better), Optima 9 rx with telemetry, 4 servos (Hs-5484HB), HD switch harness with a charging point, Tx battery with a basic wall charger, a crappy plastic cage for 4 rechargeable AA rechargeables for the Rx (I wouldn't use it, but it's handy for charging my TV remote etc) and various hardware. The same pack without servos is $50 less... or look at it this way, add 4 reasonable servos for $50. Right now one AUD is worth 78c US, so the package I got would be about $US 390. I still think that's a great deal for all that stuff. The Tx alone is $399 AUD, and the Optima 9 I think is almost $100 these days (for a while it was actually cheaper than the 7 channel).

I've posted before how much I like this radio and I know others who know what they're talking about (eg. hobby store staff) say it's definitely under-rated. So easy to use, and I know some people regard it as a Korean toy but really it's good stuff. They certainly have made a reputation for a solid RF link, I've never seen the slightest hiccup in mine. I've heard people with expensive Futaba and JR lose binding sometimes or lose a model because of an interruption, but there are no stories I can find like that of this equipment. It's very rich in feautres and to get the same in another brand, costs more.

I knew a guy from Canada and another in the US who found it cheaper to buy that deal and pay shipping from Australia than to buy it locally to them. Maybe it's changed by now but that's still a good deal. When I decided I was getting into RC and needed a radio, I shopped around and was looking for an all-in-one kit like I remembered from the 80's, with Tx, Rx, servos, battery, charger, the works. There aren't so many these days and the only ones locally were all Hitec, that's what got me interested in the brand. Some people of course won't want this type of servo but for me, considering my position in the hobby and the fact that it only added a small cost to get 4 of them, it was just what I wanted. I use those servos all the time now and they have never given me the slightest problem, and neither has any of the rest of the set.
Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate
When I was looking for a radio at the time most of the other beginners I knew were buying Spektrum. I don't know Spektrum that well, I gather the DX6 and DX6i are quite different, and I think there's a 6E (is that the cheaper one?). They're supposed to be a good deal at that price point and they're certainly popular, but frankly I wasn't into it. I've had lessons with them on club trainers, and I nkow I'm spoiled by my further up-market Tx but I didn't like the feel - hollow, flimsy and light. To be fair I also found the cheaper Hitecs that way too. I love mine but I think I'd really only consider the Aurora 9 or 9X (and definitely the 9X over the 9, the 9's getting old anyway). If I'd got a DX6* I'd also have to get servos and everything else. I see one hobby store does a 6E and some sort of basic Rx for $AU 269, you could get cheap servos and have a worthwhile set for $300 or so for your trainer or whatever. But I would have only wanted to upgrade from that radio soon as possible and I'm much happier with what I've got, I won't want an upgrade for years to come.

It's extremely rich in features and I have to say, the interface is outstanding. I've used some expensive Futaba and JR or at least had a good look at them on the ground, and I wouldn't know where to start. I've had instructors who've never seen a Hitec before go to set up dual rates, expo or whatver, including programming a whole new model program, and just go and do it first time without asking me how to do anything or needing a manual, it's that simple to use. And it's not simple because it's basic, it's just a really well designed interface. It has many, many great features, all the curve points that other stuff has, lots of switches, sliders, virtual trims, all of that. Possibly there are other radios that have more or better of this or that but I challenge anyone to find them *for that price*. The closest equivalent I know of might be the Spektrum DX9, I've never seen the interface or had a chance to use one though there are a few at the club. But the Tx alone costs 20% more than my entire set with Tx, Rx, servos and everything else. I'm not aware of any programming or operating features it has that are better than the A9X.

It's not perfect, of course, and I have a couple of particular disappointments with it. First, just to get a firmware maintenance update, you have to buy separate hardware and go through a bit of effort, and it requires Windows specifically to do it, that's a problem. In this day and age why can it not have a mini-USB or something on it, there are many reasons that would be good to have. It also doesn't have a memory card slot. I've heard some people say it should have a nice hi-res colour screen like some Futabas but honestly I find those very hard to read in the sun, the LCD on mine is nice and clear in all conditions. The touch-screen interface is just infinitely easier to use, on top of that, than any combination of buttons or dials or whatever. No menuing system can ever rival directly hitting each function... like analogue mixing consoles for music. Sure, they're old, but that is definitely the superior interface. One control per function, and the A9X, every function has its own icon you can touch direct. Perfect.

If I bought Spektrum I'd still need to get servos and Rx, and here I am with a radio i really like. I guess I more than made the point that I like using it but the reason I bought it was value, I'd have had to live with a bad interface to get that combination of hardware and features (meaning the servos, Rx etc) due to budget, but it turns out to be a radio I like a great deal. I'm just surprised not to see many more of them around because it's such a good deal, but people are paying more for separate Tx, Rx, sevos and battery and ending up with basic gear they just have to upgrade. I suppose people don't know about the great value deals you can get on them here. I've seen people spend much more on buying separate stuff and still end up with a radio they'd have to trade in to get the features I've always had, cheaper, from the start. OK I made the point... I'm just happy to have what I've got.
My Hitec Aurora 9X, still a great deal

Agreed with everything you said!

jwrich 02-08-2019 11:36 AM

I have two Aurora 9 radios and several receivers. About a year ago I bought out an elder fellows RC stuff. Two giant scale airplanes and his Aurora 9 plus other equipment, he said I could get a good price for the airplanes and radio because they were less than two years old. He had a sudden illness and had used them only 3 or 4 times. I plan to keep both radios and use them as long as I can. I love these Aurora 9's they are all I will ever need.

Rich

propstryker 02-09-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by jwrich (Post 12500984)
I have two Aurora 9 radios and several receivers. About a year ago I bought out an elder fellows RC stuff. Two giant scale airplanes and his Aurora 9 plus other equipment, he said I could get a good price for the airplanes and radio because they were less than two years old. He had a sudden illness and had used them only 3 or 4 times. I plan to keep both radios and use them as long as I can. I love these Aurora 9's they are all I will ever need.

Rich

The A9 is all I ever need also. I have friends purchasing $1500 radios and they know they will never need half of the features. The A9 is all that I would ever need in a radio. Now I have to learn this Spektrum DX18 that I inherited with a model that I bought. Not complaining mind you, but again, the A9 is all I really ever need. Great radio. Programming it is actually fun!

Truckracer 02-10-2019 06:58 PM

I loved my A9 but moved on after 4 seasons (IIRC) for more channels and features. As for a radio being all you will ever need .... maybe so. But one day radios do wear out and become obsolete due to parts no longer being available. Make plans now for what you might want your A9 replacement to be. We had (3) Aurora radios in our small flying group and one was a 9X. Only the 9x is still in use.

propstryker 02-12-2019 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Truckracer (Post 12501567)
I loved my A9 but moved on after 4 seasons (IIRC) for more channels and features. As for a radio being all you will ever need .... maybe so. But one day radios do wear out and become obsolete due to parts no longer being available. Make plans now for what you might want your A9 replacement to be. We had (3) Aurora radios in our small flying group and one was a 9X. Only the 9x is still in use.

Good points Truckracer. There is always something new and better coming out.

E-Challenged 03-20-2019 07:12 PM

Optima receivers have been hard to find. For some reason Tower has had the 3-pack of Optima 6 receivers in stock but doesn't sell them individually . I bought the three pack. Other Optima receivers are on "back order". I'm curious why there has been a hiccup in availability of Optima receivers if Hitec is continuing to produce them for export.

E-Challenged 04-09-2019 07:35 PM

Latest Info From Hitec Sales: Hitec will continue to provide Optima receivers for sale by Tower Hobbies, no explanation given why Optimas are still on back order by Tower. I'm glad a bought a 3-pack of Optima 6's before they ran out of stock at Tower Hobbies.

Aloft Hobbbies sells receivers that are compatible with Aurora 9 and 9X but they do not have the Optima's Supplemental Power Circuit (SPC) that provides read-out of motor battery voltage in flight on the transmitter touch screen.

Xpress 04-10-2019 09:30 AM

If Tower (Horizon) stops purchasing, then we'll put them on WW:

www.weekenderwarehouse.com