RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   How long should a Futaba 18mz last? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11673179-how-long-should-futaba-18mz-last.html)

Stemme10 12-21-2019 07:15 PM

How long should a Futaba 18mz last?

I have a Futaba 18mz which works faultlessly. I was wondering how long should they last. What is the highest hour count out there? Please post.

modtron 12-23-2019 01:52 AM

I normally get around 7 1/2 hrs using it on the bench, so the screen is on most of the time.
The battery was down to about 23% by this time.

modtron
Oxford UK

Stemme10 12-23-2019 03:14 AM

18mz lifespan

Sorry ,the question means what is the lifespan of a 18mz transmitter?

modtron 12-23-2019 03:54 AM

Ahh, gotcha - absolutely no idea, but it just keeps going on and on.

As long as its looked after, don't see why there should be any issues other than pots or trim switches.
The pots that are used now are almost unbreakable, but you could get them changed over to Hall effect if that is a problem.

modtron
Oxford UK

drfred58809 12-23-2019 05:10 AM

I would say it very much depends on the use - as Heli Pilot I have seen the potentiometer of a T12FG being damaged after a fairly short period of use, resulting in very odd pitch reaction......maybe worth sending it to a local repair service for checkups ? In the "good old times" (when ever that was) I used to send my MHz transmitters to the service point for checking....since 2.4 GHZ we are all probably a bit spoiled by its reliability.

mongo 12-23-2019 02:09 PM

i would say,
until ya drop it, leave it out in the rain, or sun too long, or something else like that.

PCM10XADT 01-01-2020 02:08 AM

I Fly 3D and Heli, wore the throttle potentiometer out after 18 months, I use the radio most days for 5/6 hours, its now 4 years old, the 99 hour counter has been around more times than i remember, the screen is perfect to look at but has the tom tom issues, select one thing and it chooses the next thing to it :mad:. screen freezes from new. Ripmax have had it, but perfect for them. if you use the buttons the selection is fine. Like most stuff just depends on your luck. At the cost we expect better, deluded or ripped off i ask. no replies :rolleyes:

tedsander 01-01-2020 06:57 AM

Well, if they have continued to build them as well as they did...my 14MZ from 2006 is still going strong. But then again, my Ace Micropro's from the late-1980's are also working perfectly. They did need new stick pots and batteries several times, though! Yours will last longer than you want to use it. Changes in tech will be what puts it on the shelf. Screens,stick pots and buttons may need replacing as it ages, so it will also be a matter of how long service centers maintain replacement parts.

welton1720 09-19-2020 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by drfred58809 (Post 12571273)
I would say it very much depends on the use - as Heli Pilot I have seen the potentiometer of a T12FG being damaged after a fairly short period of use, resulting in very odd pitch reaction......maybe worth sending it to a local repair service for checkups ? In the "good old times" (when ever that was) I used to send my MHz transmitters to the service point for checking....since 2.4 GHZ we are all probably a bit spoiled by its reliability.

Seems odd the flagship radio uses old fashioned Potentiometers.. why ny hall sensors?? And those plastic gimbals..