RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   DX9 Black and Spektrum GPS Module out of wack. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11677127-dx9-black-spektrum-gps-module-out-wack.html)

Tree Doc 04-06-2020 04:59 PM

DX9 Black and Spektrum GPS Module out of wack.

New to the game. Flying a new HZ Carbon Cub S+ RTF, now with flaps installed. Because the original DXe Tx wasn't flap capable, I over-bought intentionally and picked up a new DX9 Black to grow into for future planes. I've got it set-up "correctly" in the Tx and "almost" everything is perfectly functional but I've experienced some anomaly, specifically with the GPS module. Hoping somebody here might have some knowledge of or a solution to my mix-up so here's the scenario...

When connecting rx battery (3s 2200maH) with tx powered on, the aircraft acknowledges the power up as usual (beeps and what-not) but then does absolutely nothing till I press and release the bind button, then the plane enters its GPS search mode and slowly cycles the elevator up and down. There are times that process has taken FIVE MINUTES or more in wide open spaces! On average now, it's taking about a minute, maybe a little less. After it initializes and beeps, it sits and after about 15-20 seconds, and locks the GPS Home position all on its own without me having to hold the bind button as before with the DXe. Once GPS connects, the control surfaces all wag as they're supposed to and I get full power and the plane flies. Problem is, once in the air, the plane gets a mind of its own and goes to full power and begins a long sweeping turn but also is in a gradual and steady descent. It's acting as if it has received the "auto-land" command and is attempting to land. My control inputs are at a very low rate and have very minimal influence and NO throttle control. I haven't been able to allow it to do its thing because of rising terrain, etc. I'm not willing to sacrifice the plane to see what it does so I fast-click it out of GPS mode and fly without it. I've had a few near-disastrous get-aways when testing it. AS3X functions in Beginner, Intermediate, and Experienced as advertised after the GPS de-activation.

At this point, I don't really need the GPS feature but I'd certainly like it to function as it's supposed to. If GPS ever croaks on start-up, the plane won't have constant power to fly, it will only pulse, so I'd hate to be encumbered by that if out in the field. Don't know if it's tx related or module related or ?? I'll be contacting Horizon, too but I've missed their "working hours" lately so I figured I'd try here as a fresh poster. ~Thanks

AndyKunz 04-07-2020 07:58 AM

In the manual for plane, page 5, is a table showing how to set up your DX9 transmitter for use with that plane.

Did you do these changes?

Andy

Tree Doc 04-07-2020 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by AndyKunz (Post 12594857)
In the manual for plane, page 5, is a table showing how to set up your DX9 transmitter for use with that plane.

Did you do these changes?

Andy

Yes, and I started with a clean configuration so all the channel assignments are correct as per that table on page 5.

AndyKunz 04-07-2020 11:52 AM

When you contacted Product Support, did they suggest reversing that channel? I don't have one of those here, and most of the Support guys are working from home right now and probably don't have that plane to test with, but it's worth a shot. If it's something that missed the manual, those guys would know about it.

Andy

Tree Doc 04-07-2020 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by AndyKunz (Post 12594901)
When you contacted Product Support, did they suggest reversing that channel? I don't have one of those here, and most of the Support guys are working from home right now and probably don't have that plane to test with, but it's worth a shot. If it's something that missed the manual, those guys would know about it.

Andy

I have NOT been in contact with support, though I have tried. At this point, it's almost an impossibility. As you say, staff are at home. Phone wait times are well over an hour and though they offer a "hold your place in line, we'll call you back" service, that does NOT function so you just get put on eternal hold.

As for the reversed channel, the Aux 1 channel is supposed to be the one that needs to be reversed and in my case, it is. I tried a slightly different, more traditional bind method today where the bind plug stays in the the harness till the bind is complete where before and by video recomendation of HH, the bind plug comes out immediately after power up so SAFE will function and not just AS3X. Doing the new bind, I get GPS function, not just AS3X alone, but the GPS still goes haywire shortly after takeoff.

I got to thinking that maybe the Geofence feature was haywire and pre-activating so I used the process to shut it off during init. As long as GPS was activated at startup, it still went haywire and forces me to play tug-of-war trying to keep the plane in the area and above ground! I tried small geofence, large geofence, and NO geofence. If the gps initializes, which it has to to fly, it WILL go crazy. I suspect that my module should be binned and replaced.

I just flew for nearly an hour and just gave up after experimenting and spent my flying time with deactivated GPS. That's just fine but I really still want it work like it did and should.

One last resort, I'm going to rebind my DXe to the plane and see if it functions with that tx. If it does, then it's something conflicting in the DX9. It's been fun playing with the new flap function with the new DX9 but in reality, the winds are blowing steady at 10-15kts here on the coast and after dumping flaps on this thing in these winds, it takes it 5 minutes to come down! :D It's like a helicopter.

AndyKunz 04-07-2020 01:28 PM

They are WORKING FROM HOME and can do 99% of what folks need done. So contact them. I recommend them FIRST before the forums, actually.

They DO call back. That's how they've been able to handle everything. Use the online contact methods too. https://www.horizonhobby.com/content...r-tech-support

If you think the GPS module is bad, those are the guys who can help. They have test procedures for you to follow and can have it replaced if warranted. Give them a chance.

10-15 is a gentle breeze here... Be careful - I think Cali says fresh air is dangerous to your health :D

Andy

Tree Doc 04-08-2020 08:34 AM

I tried to post yesterday but the "system" said I couldn't post anymore for 24 hrs!? :confused:

My problem is solved. While waiting for an hour on hold, I had been pouring over my DX9 and the CC S+ instructions and I caught something on the airplane instructions that was outside of the set-up dialogue box regarding the AUX1 channel reversal. Contrary to what all the set-up videos I had followed stated, the AUX1 should NOT be reversed on this particular rx. It says the GPS and ESC won't lock a signal. In my case they did indeed lock but would just later go haywire. I hung up on my 1 hr plus hold time, made the change, and went and flew it. Problem solved. The system works just as it had on the DXe. I can't and don't need to mess with 'auto-land' due to terrain and obstacle restrictions but the pattern hold feature works and the plane flies great, still.

Just a quick anecdote on 'pattern hold' feature for grins and giggles. It obviously wasn't functioning yesterday morning while I was testing. I was on a short approach in very gusty conditions in 'experienced mode' (no stabilization) and a stray dog I happened to have seen the day before but gave me no nevermind, came walking up behind me. I took a quick glance at him (he's big, maybe 70+ lbs) and he looked like he wanted a piece of me. What to do?! I was begging for that pattern hold at that very moment but I didn't have it! :( In a hard gust and very low, my plane got overhead and behind me and by the time I swung around, it was one wheel on the ground and a low wing-tip dragging the pavement ready to cartwheel. I was able to make the quick save but dang! that was a close call. I fully expected to hear a disastrous smash! I never thought too much about pattern hold or a real good reason for it but that just changed my mind! Dang dog just pee'd on the wire and flagging tape telltale I had stuck in the ground for a makeshift windsock and moved on! Apparently I'm flying in his territory!

AndyKunz 04-08-2020 09:02 AM

Glad you heeded my advice to check on the reversing!

Andy