RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Brushed ESCs (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/11684736-brushed-escs.html)

obrien135 11-13-2020 06:31 AM

Brushed ESCs

I have a model that I built that I mounted a brush motor on thinking that I would use a brick receiver to drive it . it's glued on pretty solidly and the model is very delicate. Now I'm finding that there aren't hardly any brick receivers available in the United States unless I'm mistaken .they have stabilization built into them and are very expensive and the Chinese ones are too hard to get with all the shipping problems so I'm wondering if I should save up for a programmable transmitter and get a standard receiver and separate servos and ESC and go the whole route rather than compromise with the brick and game style transmitter that I've been trying to implement for economical reasons. But then that gets into the question of where do I get an ESC to drive the brush motor. It doesn't seem to be any available from the United States and I know some ESC can be programmed to drive a brush motor but I don't know how to do that and I don't have a computer with the internet so I would have trouble downloading the software if it was required . what choices do I have?
With the game style RTF transmitter I've been trying to use I have to use the left stick to control the rudder which its a three channel airplane so that will be awkward. Maybe instead of compromising that way I should go with a full set of electronics like I was saying above . my only hang up is the ESC for the brushed motor. I don't know if I can change to a brushless motor without damaging the airplane.

Dick T. 11-13-2020 12:21 PM

Update your radio system as older brick style are extremely rare. Todays micro receivers and servos can fit in the same space and are more reliable.

For brushed ESC look to Hobby King: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-sy...ushed-esc.html

There are probably other sources available via web search but HK is reliable as well as most Ebay vendors.

Good luck.

obrien135 11-13-2020 01:53 PM

Thank you

Thank you, that seems like the way to go. The only question is how would I program the transmitter without the internet. Does the hobby King transmitter come with its software on a flash drive? Or would I have to download it? I don't know how to post this question to a company in China. Or should I use a spectrum transmitter and a spectrum receiver? If that was the case maybe I could ask them the question about the software.

Dick T. 11-13-2020 03:02 PM

Brushed ESC's usually don't need any programming but if they do their instructions will describe the process and normally do not need computer access to do so.

Brushless can also be programmed without computer access. It is too long to describe here so suggest you search the web for programming ESC using your transmitter's throttle stick.

obrien135 11-14-2020 01:20 AM

Are you suggesting I buy just the ESC from HobbyKing or did you mean I should buy the entire set of electronics meaning the transmitter and receiver and servos and everything from HobbyKing? In which case would the transmitter receiver need to be programmed via the Internet or through a software download from the internet or would it be usable without programming or alternately would it be programmed via a program I get on a disc or a flash drive? I know it's not a lot of money to have to have all those questions answered but I rather not spend even that much money without knowing whether I can really use it or not. If you can buy a spectrum transmitter and receiver and just get the ESC from HobbyKing but that would be more expensive which is a problem. Getting the internet from my computer is not an option for various reasons mainly financial.

Dick T. 11-14-2020 02:18 PM

Just the ESC. There are good quality entry priced radio systems available from Futaba, Spektrum, etc. with US based support and service.

ESC's do not care what RC system they are plugged into. They receive a signal just as a servo does to command movement and are operated from the throttle channel.

You might want to spend some computer time on YouTube.com. Search for RC systems, etc. You will find many videos explaining current RC systems and how they work. They actually operate just like the old systems except they are more reliable, faster and frequency conflicts are no longer an issue. Plus you get a lot more bang for the buck in today's systems.

obrien135 11-14-2020 03:48 PM

Did US companies stop making brushed EScs?

obrien135 11-15-2020 08:33 AM

Since I already have the brick receiver arriving in the mail probably Tuesday, I probably be better off using it just for this last model but maybe instead of using the game style transmitter from the sport cub s, maybe I would be better off buying a good spectrum transmitter that would be compatible with it. If I did that would I be able to program in the polarity of the directions of the running elevator movement and also which servo controls from which stick on the transmitter for the rudder and the elevator. That would be a feature I would really like to have. Is it possible to contact spectrum or what would have to be spectrum to ask them questions about which transmitter would have these features?

Dick T. 11-15-2020 11:31 AM

I'm not aware of any US companies making ESC's and very little RC electronics overall.

Yes, a call to Horizon or Spektrum can get you pointed in the direction you are wanting to go. Keep in mind though today's RC'ers know very little about the older electronics/RC systems. They are more interested in the whiz bang sparkling lights approach to RC stuff.

DGrant 11-18-2020 05:29 PM

Today's systems are mostly limited by what a person can learn. Modern Spektrum systems can do most anything of what you're wanting.

Some of what you're making out to be extreme operations are very simple and common to every Spektrum system.... What you're calling...

"""program in the polarity of the directions of the running elevator movement and also which servo controls from which stick on the transmitter for the rudder and the elevator"""....

... is simply called servo-reversing, and channel assignment. It just sounds like you're making it very difficult for yourself.

A decent Spektrum 6ch tranny does most everything that any general/entry level pilot would want to do. Sometimes the only way to learn it is to have one in your hands and work with it. There's no magic anything that you can get that will give you hands on experience other then just putting your hands on it. Of course things can get very technical, at which point it's over the heads of all us mere earthlings, but for general hobby stuff and basics, they'll all do that.

obrien135 11-19-2020 12:18 AM

Thanks that is very informative. I received the stevens aero model version of the champ horizon hobby champ receiver in the mail and unfortunately trying to install it it broke apart and so did the airplane so the funny thing was that the Chinese receiver that I thought I wasn't going to receive because it was canceled did arrive two days later and that one might have installed better but I don't have the plane anymore cuz it's all broke apart so I don't want to build another plane because I'm really fed up with that whole thing but I was wondering if they have any plug and play for these kind of receivers and I guess I would have to get some kind of a Chinese transmitter to go with it . I have a proprietary transmitter that's made for that receiver for the f949 Cessna and that should work fine but I don't want to build another model . although I was thinking about building a Steven's arrow model plane but I really rather not get into another model at this time . I guess if I was to get another spectrum radio it would be conventional transmitter and conventional receiver rather than a proprietary one like the sport cub s transmitter that I have. which is kind of what you seem to be recommending but I don't know if I'm going to continue with this sport at all anyway so that remains to be seen for the future . I received the Chinese receiver which I have the radio for and the battery and the charger and the hookup cable and unfortunately I feel weigh the prop and motor with the plane that I crumbled up but I would have to buy a new one of those but that's not too expensive so I would have everything almost everything I need to build another plane except for the kit but I really don't want to build another kid cuz I built three in the last six months and haven't had a good luck with any of them and I really don't want to get into it anymore is negative as that may sound but that's the way I feel about it. thank you for your input and information I really appreciated it

DGrant 11-19-2020 10:46 AM

Maybe taking a break from the hobby could help. It can get frustrating and expensive all at the same time. Studying is good, and probably the best thing you can do to make any decisions on going further in the hobby. You don't want to spend anymore money until you're fairly certain it's what you want. Money factors come into play, especially when money is spent for components that aren't compatible. Sometimes that happens when someone is trying to save money, only to find out what they thought was compatible in reality won't work. Being willing and able to spend money for proper matching components definitely helps, rather then trying to save $20-$50 or whatever, only to find out it won't work. So then you're down the money, and still don't have something that works.

I'm very familiar with the StevensAero line of planes, and found them to be a good value and actually fly very well when built by the instructions. It's just it might take a while to gain the experience to actually finish one to that point. The micros and minis do take some meticulous work no doubt... but with careful study and exact follow through on the instructions they do fly well.

When I was younger (about 45yrs ago or longer) I went through several kits, and trashed them because of mistakes and frustration, and just not having the experience and knowledge. I kept at it, and after some kits, and a few years of trying I'd finally finished and flew my first RC plane. It took me building several control line planes, which at that time were less expensive and obviously don't require a radio,but the building aspect is where I needed to learn... and it took a while, and each plane has gotten better. Really just because I kept gaining experience, way moreso then any talent I had,

The electronics side of things was simpler that long ago too, and actually today if you stay within a simple system, and just use the basics not alot has changed. Just use what the instructions call for, and study the forums. Your problems might be in the mix/match of equipment I'm hearing you're trying to overcome, and that in itself can be very confusing.

So just take a breather and the hobby will always be here if you decide to take it on again. It's all good, and at least you're trying. Hang in there. :)

obrien135 11-19-2020 01:52 PM

Yes I think I will take a break. I was thinking about building a simple minimum RC kit like the Piper Cub because I could use the electronics and would come with a motor and prop and it wouldn't be too hard to build but I'm not going to rush into it maybe in the future thank you very much for your advice I appreciate it

Adam_Hill 11-23-2020 03:34 AM

Good!