RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   How are YOUR Hitec 56XX Servos doing? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1616852-how-your-hitec-56xx-servos-doing.html)

Rocketman612 03-12-2004 08:05 AM

How are YOUR Hitec 56XX Servos doing?

I've been flying my GP Patty Extra for a couple of weeks now and carefully chose equipment after reading the two Patty threads here on RCU. I have Hitec 5625's on ailerons and 5645's on elevator and rudder. Engine is a TS42.

Recently in one of the threads the issue of premature servo failure due to "vibration" was noted. Significant "slop" was detected after only 25 flights!! The issue appears to be that the 3 pole ferrite motors do not hold up as well as coreless ones to vibration.

I have been a Hitec convert for awhile in my smaller planes and have had NO problems with Hitec 645's, 425's and others. These are my first digital's.

So "Is the sky falling"? or will our larger RC planes be falling from the sky due to 56XX servo failures? Tell us YOUR experience good or bad. Plane and engine please. Just want to know if over time I should swap these out for coreless or at least send them in for a checkup after 100 or X # of flights.

Pete

SMALLFLY- 03-12-2004 08:28 AM

RE: How are YOUR Hitec 56XX Servos doing?

All metal gear servos get sloppy. The 625's and 645's in my patty lasted about 9 months, probably 50-75 flights before I had to replace them. The ailerons were the worst as they take the most vibration. I dont believe it has anything to do with 3 pole vs corless as JR 8411 are well known for gear wear as well. I am going to try some of the new karbonite servos on my next one and see if they hold up better.

dirtybird 03-12-2004 10:51 AM

3 pole motors are better suited to hold up under vibration than coreless motors.

Rocketman612 03-12-2004 01:22 PM

ORIGINAL: smallfly-RCU

All metal gear servos get sloppy. The 625's and 645's in my patty lasted about 9 months, probably 50-75 flights before I had to replace them. The ailerons were the worst as they take the most vibration. I dont believe it has anything to do with 3 pole vs corless as JR 8411 are well known for gear wear as well. I am going to try some of the new karbonite servos on my next one and see if they hold up better.
I understand and expect that the metal gears wear in time and you swap out gears at some point. The issue is servo failure due to the Potentiometer going out. These are indirect drive and I thought they hold up better.

Pete

Mokken 03-12-2004 01:33 PM

I had a bad 5625 but it was bad the first time it got power, bad potentiometer and amplifier is was hitec said, sent me a brand new servo. Now with that being said, "knock on wood, plastic, whatever.. :D) I've only had that one bad servo. I have all 5625's in a PWS with a DA-50 and so far everything is fine. I also have a DP Edge with a YS 140DZ, standard mount that makes just about the same amount of vibration as the DA-50 and have almost 350 flights on it and have all 5625's in it also and no wear so far. Use what you are comfortable with, but by no means should these forums dictate what servos we should be running in our planes, as there are to many factors involved with how something can fail.

Nogyro 03-12-2004 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: smallfly-RCU

All metal gear servos get sloppy. The 625's and 645's in my patty lasted about 9 months, probably 50-75 flights before I had to replace them. The ailerons were the worst as they take the most vibration.
I ran the 645 mg's in my Giant Stinger/G62 for three years. My elevator servos had the most slop in them, ailerons were the tightest.:D Go figure. All 5 were wore out, so before I put them in my Wild Hare Edge, I sent them into Hitec for service. All gears needed replacement, and several had bad pots in them, but still worked ???? Cost too much $$ to repair, so they shipped me 5 new ones for $78. How's that for customer service.:D:D At this point, I've got the new 645 mg's in my Edge, but I've got a 4 pack of 5945's to go in it. I've never had digitals before, so I wanted to get real familiar with the plane/645's before I switched them out to see how much of a differance it makes. :D I was hoping the metal gears in the 5945's would stay tight longer than the 645's. What's the use in having a tight centered servo, if there is slop in the gear train after 100 flights?