RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   FuntanS 40 ARF stripping 3004 servos issue (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1655849-funtans-40-arf-stripping-3004-servos-issue.html)

JoeAirPort 03-24-2004 03:21 PM

FuntanS 40 ARF stripping 3004 servos issue

I have a FuntanaS 40 ARF with Futaba 3004's on the ailerons. I keep hearing about them stripping the gears since the ailerons are so huge. I'd like to either change my servos to 3305's (metal gears) or order a set of metal gears to install on my 3004's. I have only one maiden flight and do NOT want to crash this thing from a servo failure. I have S3010's on the rudder and elevator, HT HS55 on the throttle. BTW, the maiden flight was awesome. No bad characteristics at all but winds were up to 25-30mph so I guess it's hard to tell.
A calm day will show better stall characteristics.

Joe

_WIT_ 03-25-2004 12:16 AM

RE: FuntanS 40 ARF stripping 3004 servos issue

Joe,

I've got about 50 flights on my Funtana with the Saito 91, using 3004s on all control surfaces. No problems yet (knock on wood), and very manueverable with good control -but :

* I'm careful with speed, I never -ever- let it get fast. Doesn't need it, defeats the purpose.
* The FuntanaS really doesn't need huge throws until you've stalled the wing, and even then if you have power on, it likely won't need all the range it's capable of. I use dual rates, one at LOW throws for higher speeds (not ever fast), and one at higher throws with a bit of expo for lower speeds.

I plan on running the 3004s on my Funtana until the RC Gods call it to come home, and I bet you can too - IF you keep the speed down, and set the throws to a reasonable amount.

JoeAirPort 03-25-2004 09:10 AM

My low rates are at 50%. High rates are 100%. My throws are mechanically set to the 3D max in the manual so I could see stripping them if I get to crazy up there. I don't plan on flying at high speeds either. I was just wondering if replacing the gears would help. I'd hate to have to spend another $50-$100 on new servos. I have another project, a 25% CAP232, that is sucking up my funds right now.

Joe

PlagueWielder 03-25-2004 09:15 AM

Kyle has the same servos on the ailerons and he doesnt have any problems.

One thing you could do is get 2 Hitec 475s, thats what I was going to get until I changed my mind about the Funtana.

Dont put the 3305s on the ailerons, they are an overkill even on the rudder/elevator and pretty expensive for ailerons on a 40 sized plane.

JoeAirPort 03-25-2004 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: PlagueWielder

Kyle has the same servos on the ailerons and he doesnt have any problems.

One thing you could do is get 2 Hitec 475s, thats what I was going to get until I changed my mind about the Funtana.

Dont put the 3305s on the ailerons, they are an overkill even on the rudder/elevator and pretty expensive for ailerons on a 40 sized plane.
If my memory serves me, Kyle reported stripping his ailerons servos from a rough harrier landing. His was one a few different people that reported this. Granted, they are all in extreme use cases, but things like that happen (all the time).

I looked at those 475BB and they look pretty good. Carbonite gears. Maybe I'll pick up a couple.

glowplug 03-25-2004 02:05 PM

I think most of the problems are from people flying the plane at speeds that it was never designed for.

PlagueWielder 03-25-2004 02:38 PM

The speed issue is correct but also the 3004s aren't meant for this type of flying and especially on the ailerons which are quite big on the Funtana.

When I did my research I only found good reports on the 475s, so give them a shot.. they don't cost much and should handle the job well.

Nogyro 03-25-2004 09:53 PM

Check out Hitec's 225 MG's. Small, light, and strong. Not a bad price on the either.:D

Tired Old Man 03-25-2004 10:10 PM

If you want to fly a plane with HUGE control surfaces at maximum throw, and go the extra mile to not fly the plane at high speeds to prevent flutter, the Hitec 225mg is a much better servo for the plane. Unfortunately, it is smaller than the 3004 and will require some modification to the servo opening to mount up.

Otherwise, use a relatively high performance servo for a Funtana. The plane deserves it, and so do you. Both will fly better with equipment above minimum standards.

Go with a metal gear servo.

JoeAirPort 03-26-2004 12:52 AM

PlagueWielder: I'm ordering a couple of the 475's. They look like what I need. Thanks for the help.

PlagueWielder 03-26-2004 07:42 AM

Let me know how they work out.

Thanks

flat spin 03-31-2004 09:09 AM

picked up this thread to find out what obvious signs can be observed to see when a servo is on it's last legs.
I have been flying a hype with 3004's and have felt that they were very minimal for the job. they are only just three months old and have not seen that much air time and they seem to be getting slack with a little bit of wobble a full throw.
I do not fly it fast which as stated in this thread is not the point of this type of plane but if you are doing walls and blenders then surely that is going to put as much if not more load on the servo than smply flying fast.
Anyhow because of this my Funtana which is yet to fly is kitted out with S9402's perhaps a bit overkill but better safe and all that.
Incidentally, i am itching to see how the Hype performs next to the Funtana does anyone have experience of both?