RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   WooHoo Royal Evo 12 showed up... ! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/1679249-woohoo-royal-evo-12-showed-up.html)

Scott G 04-01-2004 12:21 AM

WooHoo Royal Evo 12 showed up... !

Got my Royal Evo 12 today. I just had to announce it cuz I'm a bit of a gizmo junkie and I've been eyeballin' it for about a year now. She's charging up right now, and this weekend I can get to the serious business of crashing some planes with it.

I get to warm up on it with a 5 servo Magic Extra. After that it's on to the 8 servo Top Flite Sea Fury coming down the home stretch towards first flight. Can't wait, thought I was going to have to use Y-cables for the ailerons and flaps... not no mo'.

Kid in a candy store,
Scott.

Highflight 04-01-2004 06:52 AM

RE: WooHoo Royal Evo 12 showed up... !

Realizing that you NEVER have to use y-cables anymore was one of the significant features of the EVO that helped me to totally ignore any of my previous Asian radio programming skills. When you see how much total control you have over every (individual) servo starting with what channel it can be plugged into in the RX, you wonder how you ever got alone without both the simplicity and the capability of the EVO.
Be sure to check out the Multiplex Royal Evo thread in RCGroups.com in the Radio forum as that seems to be the epicenter for all things EVO.

By the way, I wouldn't fly the EVO this weekend if you got it just now. It takes several cycles on the battery for it to come up to full capacity (it's a NimH, you know ;) ) and you don't want to risk an aircraft until the battery shows full or at least near-full capacity with your cycler.

Highflight

Macchi 04-01-2004 08:52 AM

Just got my Evo12 as well, and am really enjoying playing with it. Quick question, when cycling the battery is it OK to discharge it through the charging jack or do I need to disconnect the battery from the transmitter? Thanks for the help,

Freddy

Highflight 04-01-2004 01:01 PM

The only issue about charging or discharging through the radio jack is that you want to keep the amperage to normal charging/discharging rates (no more than C5, or under 300mah). If you want to fast charge or discharge at higher rates, you should take the battery out of the radio and do it direct.

The reason for this is that when you use the radio jack, you're putting current through the radio circuitry because it (the radio) is keeping track of the charge for it's Mah Meter.

Personally, when I DO cycle (not necessary with NimH after you've done it when new 4 or 5 time), I do it at 250mah and I charge at C10 (150mah). I do it all through the radio jack with no problems or even warming of the battery (I use a proper Zero-Slope detection cycler/charger).

Highflight

Macchi 04-01-2004 01:30 PM

Thanks Highflight for the info!

Freddy

-Stevo- 04-04-2004 11:13 PM

A question for those that have the Royal Evo 12, where did you get it? It's been a few weeks since I last checked, but when I did, everyplace I called said they did not have any and were not sure when they were coming in. My taxes should be back in a few days and I'm looking for something to spend it on :D

Highflight 04-05-2004 08:23 AM

They have been almost impossible to get for quite a while. My EVO12/synth was on order at NorthEast Sailplane for about 3 months before it showed up about a month ago.
HOWEVER, they ARE more available, sort of, now. But you have to be patient and do a lot of calling around to see who might have what you want in stock. I think Tower is showing the crystal models in stock at the moment, but again, you'll have your best luck if you check with ALL the places that have been known to carry them. I think even Karlton (Smashed Toad also at RCgroups.com) got a few recently but I don't know if he's sold them by now or what.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: Stevo-RCU

A question for those that have the Royal Evo 12, where did you get it? It's been a few weeks since I last checked, but when I did, everyplace I called said they did not have any and were not sure when they were coming in. My taxes should be back in a few days and I'm looking for something to spend it on :D

KevinSheen 04-05-2004 11:33 AM

I got mine last week and enjoyed playing with it this last weekend. I got mine from Tower but I ordered it as soon as I got the e-mail from them saying it was in stock. I think it was back to being on order the very next day. I heard the price was increasing so I jumped on one when I had the chance.

It is a nice radio. I've got 2 JR's and I've been waiting for almost a year for Horizon to import the new JR 9x. Too late now, I think the RE12 will be my sole transmitter for quiet a few years.

I can now use a 6 channel receiver with 6 servos in an airplane when before I had to have a 9 channel because of the fixed channel assignments.

pretty cool,

Kevin

rhd-RCU 04-05-2004 12:15 PM

I work at a hobby shop. We have one on backorder and they are saying April 15. That is an estimate only.

Scott G 04-05-2004 03:02 PM

I got mine at tower. I ordered it a week ago Saturday, received it on Wednesday.

I got the radio set up for my Magic Extra. I changed a preprogrammed mixer to make the left slider control the Ailerons as flaps/spoilers. That is slider in the middle ailerons are normal. Slider down for flaps, slider up for spoilers. Was there an easier way to do this? (I know this munges up the templates.)

I love the servo movement graph under the servo menu. I was able to muck around with the mixers without dragging my plane into the livingroom... neat.

Scott.

Highflight 04-05-2004 04:07 PM

The EVO has 14 mixer definitions available: the first five are preprogrammed, but you can use any one of the remaining 9 mixer definitions to "build" your one mixers without modifying any of the original 5. You can always restore it by reloading the software, but it doesn't matter anyway. It's YOUR radio and you make it jump through whatever hoops you want; it can do it.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: Scott G

I got mine at tower. I ordered it a week ago Saturday, received it on Wednesday.

I got the radio set up for my Magic Extra. I changed a preprogrammed mixer to make the left slider control the Ailerons as flaps/spoilers. That is slider in the middle ailerons are normal. Slider down for flaps, slider up for spoilers. Was there an easier way to do this? (I know this munges up the templates.)

I love the servo movement graph under the servo menu. I was able to muck around with the mixers without dragging my plane into the livingroom... neat.

Scott.

rhd-RCU 04-05-2004 09:12 PM

Scott.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I used the 3 position switch on the left side of the transmitter . It is switch O. It is really easy to get to without taking any thumbs off the sticks.

GuyIncognito 04-09-2004 03:13 PM

What servos are all you new EVO owners using. I've seen no mention of servos in any of the posts. Are all brands of servos suitable for the EVO- which seem to be the best and are Multiplex better. What brand of receivers can be used if any? Eager to know before I purchase the EVO 12.

Shortman 04-09-2004 05:48 PM

There are 2 JR servos that currently have glitches with the Evo, I am not exact on the model but Hitec did address this.

I really like the looks of this radio but I want to wait and see how these radios evolve.

Highflight 04-10-2004 04:29 AM

I'm not one to be too brand loyal for servos because most of them work fine. So at the moment, I'm using whatever it is I happen to have which includes Futaba, JR, GWS and Cirrus. They all work great, but yes, I notice that the JR's buzz a little (as if they're hunting for a center).
From what I have seen personally, and from I hear, you can use pretty much any brand of servos. I even have a few planes where I'm running Futaba, JR and GWS all in the same aircraft.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: GuyIncognito

What servos are all you new EVO owners using. I've seen no mention of servos in any of the posts. Are all brands of servos suitable for the EVO- which seem to be the best and are Multiplex better. What brand of receivers can be used if any? Eager to know before I purchase the EVO 12.

jimw1 04-10-2004 03:01 PM

I guess I got lucky. I checked Tower's site Tuesday evening after returning from the field. They said they had a limited number in stock. I ordered my Evo 12 on Tuesday the 6th of April around 8:00P.M. and sweated it out until I got a confirmation e-mail yesterday saying that my order had been shipped. The FedEx truck showed up at my door this morning at 11:20 with my brand new Evo 12. Tower even sent it FedEx and only charged the standard shipping rate of $7.99. And this month they are giving you $20.00 off of purchases of $150 or more. I can honestly tell people that I paid less than $500 for my Evo ($499.99) if I don't count the shipping charges.

Cycling the batteries now so I haven't had too much time to play yet. I can hardly wait.

Keep checking Tower and other suppliers and you will get lucky as well.

I have no connection with Tower Hobbies other than as a customer.

Good Luck in your search and a Happy Easter to all.

Shortman 04-10-2004 03:05 PM

Does the Evo 12 have the frequency scanner like the Profili 4000? I was told by my friend who has had one for awhile now that it does.

Jason_A 04-14-2004 11:24 AM

ORIGINAL: GuyIncognito

I've just started using my EVO-9 and no problems with 4 of my existing planes with a mix of JR- Hitec, and Airtronics servos...

All seems well so far.... Hope to have it on the slope this weekend !!

FormerMember 04-15-2004 08:33 AM

Has there been a fix to the issue of only having one expo amount for all flight conditions/modes?

Thanks
Craig

rhd-RCU 04-15-2004 08:37 AM

No expo fix and no shift fix. My Evo 12 just died. Has to go back.

Scott G 04-15-2004 10:55 AM

No scanner on the 72mhz ones. Also, mine does not seem to have shift select yet. Luckily my hitec receiver can shift select. The tower blurb does specify shift select, but it is not part of the software yet. As for servos I'm using hitec with no problems.

I flew my magic with it this weekend. It is going to take a little while to get used to the new layout compared to my eclipse, but in general this thing rocks.

scott.