RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   All FM transmitters legal? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/20298-all-fm-transmitters-legal.html)

pbesing 08-23-2003 11:02 PM

All FM transmitters legal?

I was looking at an old FG transmitter that had an FM module. It is my understanding that ALL FM modules are narrow band, even if they were out years before 1991. Is this true? This module had a gold sticker on it. If FM is legal no matter what, then why the requirement for the gold sticker?

Also, can you have the same channel/freq on FM and AM?

daveopam 08-24-2003 10:07 AM

Not all FMs are narrow band. The ones with the gold sticker have been converted ( more than likely).
The reciever must also be narrow band. If the radio is that old I would send it in to be checked out anyway. They can tell you for sure if it's narrow band. If you use this transmitter before you know if it's narrow,take the Freq. pin for the channel above and below it also. I have an FM made in 1990 that is not narrow. Back then when you sent it to Futaba to be upgraded they put a gold sticker on it with the date showing it was converted.
Two radios on the same channel can not be used at the same time. Dosn't matter if one is AM one is FM or one is PCM. There will be interference.
hope this helps, later daveo

pbesing 08-24-2003 03:58 PM

Futaba's website says that if it's FM, then it's to the narrow band standards anyway. The only thing that gets me is that they were making FM radios years before the narrow band requirement, so it's odd that it would conform to a standard that was not yet required.

Another question, I have an FM radio and an AM radio. Both FG series odler radios. Both Gold stickered. I want to use one for a trainer box. Which one do I use and why? I want to sell the module and receiver for one of them, and am trying to decide which to sell.

daveopam 08-25-2003 06:49 PM

AM and FM wont buddy box together. You will have to find on old FM TX to use as a buddy box with your
FM TX. The AM will be a little more pron to interference. That is why I would use the FM. I have also heard some people say the TX are narrow but the RX are wide band(pre-91). The market to sell the old RX and module is almost nill. $20 should buy an old FG series TX to use as your buddy box. later daveo

pbesing 08-25-2003 10:07 PM

Why does the modulation matter? Aren't most buddy boxes just a dumb box without a crystal anyway? The trainer cord sockets are the same.

daveopam 08-27-2003 10:34 AM

I wish I had an answer for you. Your right they will plug in together but some functions wont work properly.
It's been several years since we tried it. Best I can remember something with the throtle wasn't working.
later daveo