RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Hitech 635 karbonite (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3281224-hitech-635-karbonite.html)

nitro wing 08-20-2005 12:42 PM

Hitech 635 karbonite

During a violent blender in my 1/4 scale GPS Katana this servo failed,forcing me to land with 40 degree rudder deflection.sweat poured off my body as I somehow made 2 circuits while locked into a high alpha attitude,just trying to keep her from spinning in.I put her on the runway in a safe manner at the end.This servo only has 12 flights on it.with power on,one could hold the rudder and the servo was able to rotate with jerky movements.I am guessing the gears stripped out??
I am not knocking the hitech stuff,i will buy another,maybe a 645 metal gear.This servo was warrantied for life by the seller so i am happy with that.
I am also quite pleased that I learned and stayed calmly,while the katana's rudder locked over,and managed to still fly and evaluate the issues after the failure.Sometimes there is more to flying these machines.Often we assume that everything will go OK during flight,but once in awhile,things malfunction and that can become a real challenge.:D
PS I just read the locktight thread.I did not use any

Vismund 08-20-2005 03:23 PM

RE: Hitech 635 karbonite

You're not the first. I've stripped the gears on HS-635KB two times. And both incidents occurred with planes that were well within the 12lbs limit that Hitec has recommended the servo for.

nitro wing 08-20-2005 04:07 PM

which control surface were they used for?
I planned on using 4 of them on a 1/4 scale Giles 202 with OS 160 for aileron and elevators.plan on flying it hard.
At this point I am having doubts and will probably switch to something else[:o]

blikseme300 08-20-2005 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: nitro wing

which control surface were they used for?
I planned on using 4 of them on a 1/4 scale Giles 202 with OS 160 for aileron and elevators.plan on flying it hard.
At this point I am having doubts and will probably switch to something else[:o]
Don't use Karbonite geared servos for your Giles. They will not last. There have been numerous posts about this.

Safe Flying!

DP 08-20-2005 08:09 PM

Nitro wing, Do not use the 635 with Karbonite gears the Giles. I tried them on the ailerons of my GP 1/4 scale Extra 300 4th flight one of them stripped just flying IMAC pattern. Called Hitec and was told not to use them on any thing over 60-90 size plane. The gears will strip.

nitro wing 08-20-2005 08:48 PM

OK thanks guys
Have the 625 MG's been reliable.Maybe I'll go with a bunch of those