RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Terrible range check...please help! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3496635-terrible-range-check-please-help.html)

av8tor1977 10-27-2005 07:50 PM

Terrible range check...please help!

If this has been covered here I apologize, but I couldn't find it.

I have a new plane with a Hitec 555 receiver and four Hitec S-55 mini servos. I had to add extensions to the servos for this plane of 340mm for the tail mounted servos, and 295mm for the aileron servos. I used the same gauge wire, and carefully soldered the connections and used shrink wrap insulation. I carefully twisted the leads I used for the servo extensions for neatness.

I cannot get a good ground range check. It loses the signal and the servos go crazy at less than 20 feet checking with the antenna down. I have tried three different receivers and crystals, and two different transmitters with the same results. It does this even with the motor off and the speed control disconnected. (temporarily using a separate battery to power the receiver.) Could the extensions, or the fact that I twisted the extensions be causing this problem? I am a long time modeler and have never run into this problem, but this is the first time I have used twisted lead extensions. I have tried everything, including doing a ground check with the antenna strung outside the plane to the side, but it loses control and the servos go nuts at less than 20 feet distance. Help???!!

AV8TOR

laryboy 10-27-2005 11:03 PM

RE: Terrible range check...please help!

it is not because you twisted the wires. temporairily remove extensions. if that doesnt work remove servos one by one

WilsonFlyer 10-28-2005 06:12 AM

It may seems obvious but I'm assuming you know that the TX is not the problem?

av8tor1977 10-28-2005 09:30 AM

Hi,

Yes, the transmitters are ok. The problem occurs with two different transmitters, and these transmitters work fine with my other planes. I tested them in the same place and at the same time with other planes and no problem. It also occurs with three receivers on two different frequencies.

It has got to be either the servos or the extensions because my trouble shooting process has eliminated all other possibilities. These servos worked fine in another plane before I removed them to build this plane. The only difference is the extensions, or the possibility that I damaged the servos when I soldered the extensions on. I used a pistol type Weller soldering iron. Can this damage servos??? I have lost two days working this problem and can't figure it out. I'm hoping someone can help. I don't have any other HS-55 servos to try, and I live 220 miles from the nearest hobby shop!

Thanks,
AV8TOR

weedy-burton 10-28-2005 11:44 PM

Hi,

What plane have you got and are there any carbon rods in it. Im having an almost identical problem with a foamy I just put together.I cant put the aerial any where near the plane or it glitches wildly from any more than about 8 feet away,If I hold the aerial up away from the plane its perfect.I too have tried multiple receivers (all brands) two different TX's, four sets of crystals, three different modulators and eliminating other components one by one. I dont know if there are different grades of carbon or not and if some interfere more than others or not but a friend has a shocky with carbon all over it and his aerial 5mm away from a carbon control rod with no probs. I think next I'll try a new plane, Ive replaced everything else[:@]

Cheers

Weedy

weedy-burton 10-28-2005 11:45 PM

My plane is a ThunderTiger Expo 3d

Cheers

Weedy

mikenlapaz 10-29-2005 05:13 AM

How do they work removed from the plane? Just thought it might be a proximity thing to carbon rod or whatever.

Got a friend with a Raptor that is giving him fits with similar problem. Keep us informed.

av8tor1977 10-29-2005 07:47 AM

After more than three days of testing on and off, I'm getting pretty frustrated. The airplane is a Katana Mini, and yes it does have carbon fiber. I'm thinking my long servo leads and the carbon fiber are working together to reduce the range now, and that I have an interference problem here at my house and also at one of the closer in flying fields my student and I go to. I'm leaving shortly to test and fly at a beach well out of town where they won't be any interference. We'll see what happens!! Wish me luck...

AV8TOR

av8tor1977 10-30-2005 11:32 AM

Well, I had decided that my problem had to be local interference basically, but that's not the case. I flew yesterday from a very isolated spot miles away from civilization with no electric lines, cell phone service, radio signals, towers, etc. Same problem; severe servo twitching at less then 20 feet, followed by the servos locking at their extremes and no control at all at about 25 feet range check. It has got to be the carbon fiber in this plane. To recap: this is happening with two different transmitters, and three different receivers on two different channels. I finally got a somewhat acceptable range check by stringing the antenna completely outside the plane running along the wing. I stuck the antenna there with tape and flew the plane with no further problems.

The good news is... This is a super great airplane!! Katana Mini. Wow. I love it!! It's even better than my 72" wingspan GSP Katana gasser!

AV8TOR

Norseman 10-30-2005 12:31 PM

What kind of transmitter do you have? I know the Hitec Eclipse does lousy range checks, but they work all right with the antenna extended.

Steinar

av8tor1977 10-30-2005 04:35 PM

Futaba 6XAS + Futaba 7CAP transmitters. Hitec Supreme 8, Hitec 555, and Hitec HS4-0mg receivers.

AV8TOR

micp 11-02-2005 03:47 PM

Glad to hear that you like the Katana Mini. I am putting one together and can't wait to fly it.

Tom

av8tor1977 11-03-2005 10:11 AM

I can't really describe how much I like this plane. I don't do "3D" flying, but I love normal aerobatics and hardly fly straight and level for more than a few seconds at a time. This plane does all the maneuvers so easily and gracefully it's hard to believe. It gives you a lot of confidence right from the start. It took me about 5 seconds to become completely comfortable with this plane and do low level aerobatics.

The owner of Atlanta Hobbies has advised me that there is carbon fiber in the aft fuselage. So when I slid a plastic tube inside the fuselage and slid my antenna into that, the antenna was very close to if not touching, and surrounded by, carbon fiber. With the antenna run immediately outside the plane from the receiver, and strung back to the lower part of the tailskid everything is fine.

Enjoy the Katana Mini !!

AV8TOR