RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Unusual range problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3552322-unusual-range-problem.html)

Langster 11-14-2005 06:33 PM

Unusual range problem

Hi All,

I have a 9x JR Tx and a 9 channel Rx. I have recently put the gear into an 80" Cap 232. When I am range checking with the aerial down an unusual thing happens. Although all other channels are OK for range even with the DA-50 running, at 2/3 of the normal range distance (with the aerial down) the elevator servos respond to controls with a delay. That is, one may operate OK but the other lags behind but still operates.

My only theory is that I am using regulated 6v for this plane and this may be too much for the Rx? I will reduce the voltage today and check again but had to quit last night due to fading light.

Any other thoughts?

Lang

Langster 11-16-2005 07:43 AM

RE: Unusual range problem

Well I reduced the regulated voltage from 6.0V to 5.7V and this seems to have greatly improved the problem I had with losing the synchronisation of the elevator servos on my Cap when range checking. I don't know why this improvement would have occured? It seems as though I could get another 20 paces before the elevators lost their synch after I dropped the voltage.

Anyone have ideas for this improvement in range?

Thanks

Lang

dirtybird 11-16-2005 11:02 AM

You need to provide more information.
If you are using an FM (not PCM) receiver and IF you are have one of the elevator servos slaved to the elevator channel using say channel 6 output, it may be caused by interference that hits only the slaved channel. This is because channel six is further down the chain and more prone to be interfered with than channel two

Langster 11-16-2005 05:00 PM

Thanks for your feedback dirtybird.

I am using SPCM and using aux 2 as the slave for the dual servo elevator. I have the Tx set up as Wings: Flaperon with V-tail inhibited. I am also using model 20 as the model number (1-20 available). Anything else that might be helpful?

dirtybird 11-16-2005 10:14 PM

With PCM you just blew my theory. The only other thing I could think of is a bad servo

j.duncker 11-25-2005 09:53 AM

Try running 4.8 volts and see what happens.

I may be wrong but I think JR servos do not like 6 volts.

Rodney 11-25-2005 01:36 PM

Sounds more like some poor connections or extensions that have to little cross sectional area. Try larger gauge wires and soldered connections (no extensions with connectors).

Langster 11-26-2005 01:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. I reduced the voltage to 5.7V from 6.0V and this has resulted in the range being 20% better. I was also informed that with PCM the channel that I was using for the slave elevator servo would take longer to decode so in fact this was indicating that the Tx was almost out of range. I accepted the 20% improvement with the voltage reduction and have flown the Cap 232 with no glitches or range problems.

Cheers

Lang

dirtybird 11-26-2005 11:28 AM

The receiver has a built in voltage regulator. Changing the applied voltage should not effect the range. If I were you I would send the receiver to the manufacturer and explain your problem. Something is wrong.