RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Connector crimpers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3577404-connector-crimpers.html)

jlkonn 11-22-2005 01:33 PM

Connector crimpers

Has anyone ever bought one of the connector kits that has a crimper and male and female connectors that you can use to make up your own aileron extensions, charger pigtails, etc?
Thanks!
JLK

krayzc-RCU 11-22-2005 05:10 PM

RE: Connector crimpers

on board

JPMacG 11-22-2005 07:17 PM

Yes, www.radicalrc.com You buy the crimping tool, connectors, and wire separately. He has them all.

jlkonn 11-22-2005 07:31 PM

JP,
I just looked and found all kinds of neat stuff put I couldn't find the crimpers or the "blank" connectors...
JLK

krayzc-RCU 11-22-2005 08:26 PM

its under tools

http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...16&cart=370609

Zeeb 11-23-2005 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: jlkonn

Has anyone ever bought one of the connector kits that has a crimper and male and female connectors that you can use to make up your own aileron extensions, charger pigtails, etc?
Thanks!
JLK
If you want to check locally, look for an electronics supply/hobby type store. There's only one here in the valley where I live, but they have the crimper's and the pins (as the terminal ends are called) for them. I've not looked for the plastic housings there however... :eek:

mglavin 11-23-2005 10:22 AM

The right crimpers for the job are paramount IMO, you'll find many available for the task some better than others. Professionals in this industry use crimpers that cost thousands of dollars there is a HUGE difference...

Special thanks to Simon Van Leeuwen for the effort to compile the following information:

Picked from inventory PN's that can be readily purchased from Digi Key, Electrosonic, Newark, Allied Electronics and be on your doorstep next day. Digi Key is probably the best in the shipping area; they have a next-day flat rate to your door):

REPLACEMENT 0.100" SPACING MALE/FEMALE CONNECTORS

NOTE: These housings, spring contacts, and pins will accommodate up to 20awg and feature a locking detent which means they will only physically separate if you unlock them (nice feature). Will handle 4.5A all day.

Description PN Comments
receptacle 104257-2
crimp spring contact 104480-9 30u" Gold, loose
plug 103653-2
crimp pin 104505-7 30u" Gold, loose

GENERIC 0.100" 3 PIN FEMALE CONNECTORS

NOTE: These were chosen to fit all receivers, so they are not keyed.

Description PN Comments
plug, 3 position 530554-2
crimp spring contact 531224-7 30u" Gold, loose

HEAVY DUTY LARGE SCALE 3 PIN CONNECTORS option #1

NOTE: These, and the following series, are readily available high-performance connectors able to handle in excess of 5A, yet are small and lightweight.

Description PN Comments
Receptacle 43645-0300 3 position (up to 12 pos avail)
crimp spring contact 43030-0009 30u" Gold, 20-24awg, loose
plug 43640-0301 3 position (up to 12 pos avail)
crimp pin 43031-0003 30u" Gold, 20-24awg, loose

HEAVY DUTY LARGE SCALE 3 PIN CONNECTORS option #2

NOTE: Not quite so readily available but are slightly smaller and higher performance. These are liquid proof, and offer detent friction lock mechanisms.

Description PN Comments
Receptacle 52213-0311 3 position (4 pos avail)
crimp spring contact 50148-8100 Phosphor Bronze, 20-22awg, loose
Plug 52266-0311 3 position (4 pos avail)
crimp pin 50147-8100 Phosphor Bronze, 20-22awg, loose

SPECIAL APPLICATION PLUG-AND-PLAY SYSTEMS

Description PN Comments
Plug, 8 position 172063-1
Receptacle, 8 pos 172070-1
Spring contact 170311-1 both housings use same contact

HIGH PERFORMANCE HOOK-UP WIRE NOTE:

Alpha 19/34 (19 strands of 34awg) TEFLON jacketed multi-color lead which is service-rated to 13 amps continuous (single lead, free air @ 30C ambient). TEFLON also offers the least mass of all the available jacket materials for weight critical applications such as F3B/F/J style aircraft. You can cut costs by choosing to buy regular PVC jacketed lead, but the performance specs drop off accordingly (8A max, increased jacket mass, bulkier). You will see a PN for this material as well. The PN's essentially remain the same, except that the color code changes. Replace "RD" with the color of your choice (black-BK, white=WH, etc).

Description PN Comments
Red, 22awg, 19/32 5855RD005 TEFLON jacket, 100ft roll
Red, 22awg, 19/32 1855/19RD005 PVC jacket, 100ft roll

Finally one caveat, an onboard control system is only as good as its weakest link...electrically AND mechanically. The above systems rely on proper crimping procedures (amongst other things) to ensure rated specs and mechanical integrity. Don't fool yourself, improper crimping is just as catastrophic as improper soldering.

Zeeb 11-24-2005 09:01 AM

ORIGINAL: mglavin

The right crimpers for the job are paramount IMO, you'll find many available for the task some better than others. Professionals in this industry use crimpers that cost thousands of dollars there is a HUGE difference...

<snip>

Finally one caveat, an onboard control system is only as good as its weakest link...electrically AND mechanically. The above systems rely on proper crimping procedures (amongst other things) to ensure rated specs and mechanical integrity. Don't fool yourself, improper crimping is just as catastrophic as improper soldering.

Excellent points. I used to have access to the crimpers used by the avionics shop when I worked at the airport so I got spoiled. The first project I did without the fancy crimpers and using the ones described above, did not fair well. Fortunately for me, it was not a model and only created an irritating problem and time to trace down.

It is VERY easy to crimp these tiny connectors improperly. One especially easy error is putting too much pressure on the pin at the insulated section of the wire and cutting the wire inside the insulation, that's what I did... :eek:

If you are going to make your own leads, it would be a good idea to at least check them for continuity while flexing the lead with a multimeter if you can't load test them which would be best.

BBW Walt 11-24-2005 10:04 AM

http://rc-dymond.com/

Try this, been using there pin sets for years with no issues. Have also used pin sets from everyone else. I've made too many of these extensions for there to be a problem with this product. The crimper plyers work great....Very resonably priced, The only problem I've ever encountered with any extension is from pulling on the wire itself to remove or unplug an extension, servo or whatever. These plug and unplug securely as well as any. I have only used 22 ga wire max with these pin sets. 20ga. will go but its tuff to install the pins in its housing...Walt