RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   More Power to Servo !! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3577904-more-power-servo.html)

TwinForced 11-22-2005 04:25 PM

More Power to Servo !!

Ok guys I have look'd but cant find any info on how to give my servo more volts ? Its run off of the RX BEC set up now. I would like to give it some more volts, HOW ? Thanks.

DMcQuinn 11-22-2005 06:02 PM

RE: More Power to Servo !!

There are three wires going into every servo (black, red, and signal). You can run servo at higher voltages than the BEC puts out. At some point the servo will fail, of course. Generally servos that are advertised to run at 4.8 volts will run fine at 6.0 volts. I have heard of some running at 10 volts.

To make this happen, you only use two wires from the BEC to the receiver (black and signal). you run two wires from a higher voltage battery and use wires black and red. so the servo gets its voltage from the higher voltage source, but gets its signal from the BEC.

TwinForced 11-22-2005 07:36 PM

Thank you, I want to have a 7.2V pack just for the servo.

pettit 11-23-2005 10:05 AM

I'll bet you didn't know that just about all servos are manufactured with a precise amount of special smoke inside the case that determines proper operation.

Let any of this special smoke out of the case and the servo stops working.

With 7.2 volts on the servo. you'll let a LOT of smoke out and the servo will stop working almost immediately.

Why not just use a more powerful servo? If you have a 50 oz-in servo, use a 100 oz-in one.

They are usually in the same size case, and they are probably filled with the same type of smoke.

At BEC voltage, all that smoke will stay in the case and the servo will indeed have more "power".

TwinForced 11-23-2005 10:14 AM

You are very right, but I have a bigger one on order, just I want to mess with some of my older servo's in the mean time.

mglavin 11-23-2005 10:25 AM

Most servos will operate at higher voltage levels, the life expectancy is simply short lived as the motors degrade early on in life.

LarryC 11-24-2005 09:22 PM

Bad thing about the magic smoke; once it comes out, you can't get it to go back in!

Larry

TwinForced 11-30-2005 01:40 PM

Well its working on 7.2V for now ! Lets see just for how long ? Its a HiTec HS 645 MG.

RTK 11-30-2005 09:57 PM

Twin---There has been a couple of guy's running giant scale with no regs at that voltage with good luck so far. In fact I am going to try it on my next project. Keep us posted as to how it works for you.