RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   4 aileron servos - need TX help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3597943-4-aileron-servos-need-tx-help.html)

tailskid 11-28-2005 10:51 PM

4 aileron servos - need TX help

Want to fly my CG Pitts Monster - but it has two sets of aileron servos hooked up with two "Y" harnesses. How do I program the transmitter so I can use two channels on the rx.? I have a 9303 tx and R700 rx.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

redfox435cat 11-28-2005 11:24 PM

RE: 4 aileron servos - need TX help

is it being set up as flaperons? otherwise use a third y harness hooked to the two y harnesses and hook it to one channel. you'll need the heavy duty harness.

I don't like flaperons on a bipe so i say hook one y to channel one to one wing and one y to channel 7 on the other wing. set channal 7 switching to null. and slave channel 7 100% to channel 1. Of course if your using flaperons mix to channel 6 and mix in flaps to your liking

tailskid 11-29-2005 09:05 AM

Yep, no flaperons....just ailerons. I'd like not to use three "Y" harnesses if at all possible. Thanks for the tip.

Jerry

dirtybird 11-29-2005 11:59 AM

Anyone ever try installing a radio system in the top wing? You only need aileron channel so it could be a 2 channel receiver with a small (250mah) battery. That way you wouldn't have to string wires between the wings. Run the antenna out inside the wing .

tailskid 11-29-2005 12:53 PM

Interesting idea!

Jerry

Turk1 11-29-2005 02:36 PM

Hi,may I ask,if it can be harmful to use such y harness system on one channel due to pulling much current, loading on one channel in Rx?

DocYates 11-29-2005 04:29 PM

Jerry,
You can plug the lower wing ailerons in to channel 2 (or the dedicated aieleron channel). Then plug the second set of ailerons into channel 6. Go into the program and disenable that switch so there is no chance of cutting it off. Then go to the mixing menu and mix channel 6 (SLV) to the aileron channel (MSTR). You can then make that mix 100% or whichever you need and reverse it if need be. Not hard to do if I have my radio sitting in front of me. You can do it without three Y's for sure. The 9303 is a pretty versatile radio.
Good luck
Tommy

tailskid 11-29-2005 04:41 PM

I couldn't find the 'mixing' menu....howdoyou get there?

Jerry

Scott G 11-29-2005 05:27 PM

I don't know the JR radios so take this with a grain of salt... But generally computer radios have a built in mix to handle ailerons on two channels, no need to use a custom mix. In the case of my old Hitec Eclipse I think it was channel 1 and 6 that were hard coded.

I have the CG Pitts Monster but I use a Multiplex radio so each aileron gets it's own channel, no Y's. If I was using my Eclipse I would put the two right ailerons on a Y to channel 1 and the two left ones on a Y to channel 6. If you do it top wing/bottom wing you would not be able to do things like aileron differential via the radio programming.

My .02,
scott.

Scott G 11-29-2005 05:35 PM

I was bored so I downloaded the JR manual. It looks very simular to how my Hitec worked. Here is the link if you don't have it.

[link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/JRP9240-manual.pdf]9303 Manual[/link]

The pertinent info starts on the 27th page of the PDF document (or A12 if you are looking at the page numbers in the pages). Basically you need to set the wing type to FLAPERON and inhibit the FLAP switch if you don't want them. I would not use flaps on this plane. Then run the Y's as I described in my last post.

Hopefully a JR guy will correct my if my quick read is incorrect.

scott.

Pile-O-Wood 11-29-2005 05:38 PM

With the 9303 all you need to use is the "dual" function. It will automatically disable the switch or Knob on the slave channel and it will rename the slave channel , so when you are at the field and need to change a mix you do not have to scratch your ### and try to remember which channel you mixed with the master.

Rcpilot 11-29-2005 09:27 PM

I'd use a Matchbox and power it seperately with a 1000mah metal hydride battery. Run heavy duty extensions to all the servos.

Simplest thing to do if you can't figure out how to program the radio.