RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Radio check rudder movement (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3622385-radio-check-rudder-movement.html)

skateflyer 12-05-2005 10:40 PM

Radio check rudder movement

Hi I'm looking for an explanation/help regarding my rudder moving back and forth while moving the radio around the airframe.

Equipment:
JR xp6102 TX, JR 700 rx, Futaba 3010 servos.
All servo leads are twisted.
TheTX antenna is running on the outside of the bottom of the fuselage.

As I move the radio around in specific locations around the airframe the rudder will move 2", I can swing the radio back and forth and the rudder will mov eback and forth as well.

So far I',ve changed the RX to a JR sport 600 (brand new), no change.
I've changed the servos around, no change.
Moved the antenna only to find the location which causes the movement has changed.

Starting to think the problem is in the radio????

Any ideas/comments will be appreciated

dirtybird 12-06-2005 11:28 AM

RE: Radio check rudder movement

How close are you to the receiver. Is the antenna extended?

exeter_acres 12-06-2005 11:31 AM

where is the location? at the field or in a workshop?
I've had a few funky things happen under flourescent lights

JoeAirPort 12-06-2005 01:06 PM

Wow that's pretty weird. I think you are correct in trying a different tx. I like to always have a cheap backup tx on hand to trouble shoot stuff like this. Having different rx's laying around helps too. I wonder being too close to an rx with the tx can cause some over powering of the rx. I'd also try with antenna retracted and extended. Regardless I would not trust that setup to fly if it keeps doing that. I have not had any problems with flouresent lights in my basement so far. But what the heck turn them all off.

skateflyer 12-07-2005 02:18 AM

Update:
I forgot to mention an important part of the equipment. I have 2 elevator servos fead to a jr matchbox. I've isolated the problem, when the JR matchbox lead is removed from the elevator fead on th RX, all is well. Once the connection is made the problem returns. I've also discovered moving the matchbox around the rudder servo also causes the lots of servo movement. Seems the matchbox location is the culprit. How far does the matchbox need to be from the rudder servo???

Got his response from JR:
There is a chance you are simply swamping the receiver being too close to the model with the transmitter. Also have you tried outside in an open area or just inside your house/shop? The matchbox location should not matter. There isn't anything in the matchbox that could make noise so the location should not matter, though it is generally best to not have a very long extension between the matchbox and receiver from a power delivery standpoint, it is better to have multiple extensions between the matchbox and servos, than 1 long extension between the matchbox and receiver. You might also try different servos to see if it is a servo problem or a servo compatability problem.

Danny Snyder
Horizon Hobby / Team JR

So this is hapenning at this moment in my workshop, I've since swapped the rudder servo for a JR servo and things didin't change. If I pull the antenna out 1 section everything seems to be fine. I'm still unclear why when the matchbox lead is pulled from the TXall is well and as soon as it's plugged in the rudder servo will makes serious movement. I can even create movement by waiving my hand between the radio and the TX. I will move everything outside and determine if this continues.

Thanks for all the responses it''s greatly appreciated I will follow up with further info as to where this goes, it may help others in the future.