RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Servo arm length? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/3636955-servo-arm-length.html)

grind2tenths 12-09-2005 08:01 PM

Servo arm length?

I am getting ready to assemble a H9 260 and the manual recommends the H9 3d XL arms for the plane. My LHS is out and Horizon is out of stock also ( according to their website). I have looked at the Airwild MLP arms as an alternative, they are 1.5 long does anyone know the length on the H9 ones?

da Rock 12-09-2005 08:30 PM

RE: Servo arm length?

Was looking at long arms at Tower awhile back and they have them 1.75" long.

You didn't mention for what servo. The ones I was looking at were Futaba, but Dubro has XL too. Tower's got more than just those two in stock.

da Rock 12-09-2005 08:33 PM

Just noticed your location. I think I saw some XLs on the wall at KC the other day. And you said your LHS, but I would have sworn that King RC has some on the wall too. But maybe they weren't for your brand servo, right?

grind2tenths 12-09-2005 08:57 PM

They are for JR's 8411's. I have a pack of Dubros heavy duty but I was wanting to put on aluminum ones. I haven't been to KC in a while and it has been a couple of weeks since I have been to King. Still waiting on return of servos from Horizon where they have been getting a full check up.

camss69 12-16-2005 07:21 PM

The length for the extra 260 servo arms is 1.25" I got mine for Hitec servos from airwild, before I sent the Hitec's back to their maker....

LSP972 12-16-2005 07:43 PM

What kind of flying do you intend to do?

I used DuBro HD arms, cut down to one inch (servos are rated using one inch horns), and I had to reduce my throws in the radio down to almost nothing for IMAC flying. IOW, this model has HUGE surfaces that are incredibly responsive, and one inch arms will give you all the throw you can handle, except perhaps for extreme flip-flopping.

I heard about the DuBro plastic arms twisting when used with ball links. I can see that happening during violent manuevers, but since I won't be doing any of that I used them with the kit-supplied hardware- which is quite adequate for the task.

My point to all of this is that, unless you plan to really throw the plane around, you don't really need extra-long metal arms.

IMO, of course. YMMV.

exeter_acres 12-16-2005 11:45 PM

I use SWB arms on my 30% plane... might want to look at them

JoeAirPort 12-17-2005 04:19 PM

Yeah SWB, the 1.25 inch ones will be perfect.