RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Anyone flying the Futaba 8SGAP? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/5557176-anyone-flying-futaba-8sgap.html)

Stickbuilder 03-13-2007 08:11 PM

Anyone flying the Futaba 8SGAP?

Does anyone still fly the Futaba 8SGAP? PCM system?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

pkoury 03-13-2007 08:56 PM

RE: Anyone flying the Futaba 8SGAP?

Still flying mine, will be installing the four new battery pack. Get lots of comments when I open the back panel to display all the switches and dials...

Stickbuilder 03-14-2007 03:52 AM

Mine just came back from Radio South. New tune up, and new batteries. I''m probably going to sell mine. I don't use half of the features that it offers. It's still easier to program than the new fangled computer transmitters though.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

davewallace 03-14-2007 11:28 AM

Stickbuilder,
The 8sgap has too many receiver limitations, such as no PPM and PCM512 only. The TF modules are hard to comeby also.
The Futaba 9CAP is so easy to program, EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT! It also supports PPM and PCM1024.

Dave

PipeMajor 03-14-2007 12:28 PM

ORIGINAL: davewallace
...The Futaba 9CAP is so easy to program, EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT! Dave
That is SO condescending... :D

FOD MAN 03-14-2007 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My flying buddy's use an 8GAP with there RC terradactyl. it's still a good radio.

jdb000001 03-14-2007 09:02 PM

The Futaba 9CAP is so easy to program, EVEN A CAVEMAN CAN DO IT! It also supports PPM and PCM1024.
Better watch out, the cavemen already have a class action case against a well know insurance company. :D

On the other hand, if its so easy a caveman can do it, maybe Futaba should start hiring cavemen for the help department - too many things are so easy even a kid can do it, but there's never a kid around to show you how to operate it. [:-]

Back to the original topic - I'm surprised noone has taken the time to figure out Futaba's PCM 512 coding, and then taken the rf board from something like the 127DF and just replaced the decoder board to make PCM512 receivers - would be narrow band too.

davewallace 03-14-2007 09:28 PM

JDB,
Very interesting idea. I don't know if I would want to use a receiver that I built in one of my planes for a test bed though. Receivers are too cheap to bother anyway. If Futaba had made the 8SGAP switchable to ppm, it would still be in demand like the U series radios. My old 5UAP does both PCM1024 and PPM. No mixing or expo etc. Honestly, I do find the 9C very easy to program. I think that I could teach someone to program it in ten minutes, maybe even a caveman.:D

Dave

stinky 03-18-2007 07:06 AM

I use to fly one but found it to be the heaviest radio I have ever held. I still fly a Futaba FP-T8SSA-P single stick on my jets. Same radio on the inside. I have found that modules and recievers are getting easier to find at swap meets. I have 2 radio's and 10 recievers and modules. If you search ebay they come up often and sometimes will be bid up high, only to come back on a week later cause the guy bought what he thought he could use. I pay around 20 to 30 bucks for a reciever and 10 to 30 bucks for modules!
steve

davewallace 03-18-2007 01:29 PM

stinky,
Many of the gold series Futaba's had TF modules and can be had cheap at swap meets.

Dave

jdb000001 03-18-2007 06:15 PM

Has anyone ever had one of the older wide-band PCM 512 receivers out of the case? I was wondering if they are build like the 127DF, where the RF section is on a separate board from the decoder board - would be easy to put a new narrow band RF board onto one then.

davewallace 03-18-2007 08:43 PM

The R118GP is rather square shaped, unlike the smaller R127DP and DF. Older technology.

Dave

Stickbuilder 06-25-2007 09:23 AM

Is anyone interested in the system that I have? I'm going to put in up for sale on e-bay and here in RCU.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1