RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   Futaba 2.4 GHz User Report (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/5848355-futaba-2-4-ghz-user-report.html)

aghost 05-13-2007 09:42 AM

Futaba 2.4 GHz User Report

I bought Futaba's 6EX-2.4GHz radio and an extra receiver recently. I put this radio system in a H9 Corsair and a giant scale P-40. I have been flying both planes for several years now. Both planes have glow engines. The installations went well. I did ground range checks from several directions. Futaba's one minute power down for range check is kind of short to do a check from more than one location though.

Flights went well. I did not try to do extreme range check, just flew my normal patterns.

See my Post 8 regarding the concern in the following paragraph. I am no longer concerned. 5/23/07

The only concern I have is that when coming in for landings and starting to flatten out the descent, a question flashed through my mind " when is the nose going to come up?". The nose did come up but.. the question came up with both planes. I wonder if the 6EX response is slightly slower than the T7CAP and T6A I have been using. Elevator exponential settings are in the -25% to -30 % range. No flaps on either plane.

I have not notice any other response concern, but I have not done any flight manuevers that require precise response.

Brian

JCINTEXAS 05-13-2007 10:59 AM

RE: Futaba 2.4 GHz User Report

Hello Brian,
Thank you for this report on the Futaba 2.4 FAAST. I bought one but haven't used it yet. I heard that Steve Helms was involved in the development of this Futaba system and I figured if Steve thought it was "good-to-go" that it must be a solid performing radio. I like to have the leading-edge technology. Please continue to keep us informed on your experience with the FAAST radio and expecially if you experience any problems or quirks. I am going to range check the heck with this radio before I put it in the air. I will also post with info I learn about this radio and I gain experience with it. (Hopefully all the experience will be good).
By the way, I flew R/C in Lubbock for many years back in the 70s- early 80's.
Now I live near Austin and I am getting back into R/C after a long time away.
My first model is a Balsa Nova with 80 inch wingspan and Mark (Moki) 1.35 glow engine.
Best Regards
JC

summerwind 05-13-2007 11:22 AM

what servos are you using?

JCINTEXAS 05-13-2007 11:27 AM

I have the Futaba S3152 (digital) servos. From the info I've read, this is a good all around choice. We didn't have so many choices years ago, and we also didn't use a servo for each aileron and "push-pull"....at least not in the typical .60-powered pattern models I flew.
JC

summerwind 05-13-2007 01:35 PM

sorry JCINTEXAS,

i meant what servos was aghost using.
the 3152's surely would not cause any such lag though.

aghost 05-13-2007 02:51 PM

Summerwind : servos are S3004s on the Corsair control surfaces, S9202 on the P40 elevator and rudder, S3004s on the other surfaces. I did not change any of the servos when I went from the 72 Mhz transmitters to the 6EX.

Brian

pilotpete2 05-14-2007 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: aghost
The only concern I have is that when coming in for landings and starting to flatten out the descent, a question flashed through my mind " when is the nose going to come up?". The nose did come up but.. the question came up with both planes. I wonder if the 6EX response is slightly slower than the T7CAP and T6A I have been using. Elevator exponential settings are in the -25% to -30 % range. No flaps on either plane.

Brian
The only way to see if there is any lag in servo response is on the bench, not in the air;) Observing the control surface movements in relation to your stick input by eye is more accuarate than trying to judge the "speed" of the radio in the air, too many other variables come into play, such as CG in your case.
Pete

aghost 05-23-2007 07:05 PM

I started this thread with 2.4 GHz systems installed in two planes. I installed a 2.4 GHz receiver in a third plane (glow engine). As with the others, the installation was easy, range checks were good, flights were non-events.

At this point, I think the concern about response time I expressed in the initial post is not valid. Response has been as good or better than the 72MHz radios.

I wish Futaba had used a 3 position flap switch rather than the 2 position one.

Brian

dant-RCU 05-24-2007 08:53 AM

I picked up the 6EX and 6 receivers to play around with the system while waiting on the module for my 12Z. So far I have flown the system in a small electric, a .40 glow and a.60 glow and if the weather cooperates this weekend, a 32cc gasser. I like the system and I like the installation of one receiver and the two small antennae. I agree with Brian however on the flap switch and I would have preferred a 3-position switch or better yet either a rotary knob or slider. I like proportional flaps. However, this is a fairly basic radio and at $210.00 for the Tx and Rx I have no real complaints.

I did instruct the LHS however that as soon as the radio hits the door to please make a decent battery pack. He did, and installed a 2100mah NiMH pack! I have no worries about "low battery"! I just don't like a small pack (in this case, 600mah) in a 6 channel computer radio. Just my preference - I am sure many people are flat happy with the stock setup.

I have range checked the system out to 120 paces (I am 6 foot with a fairly long stride) with the aircraft in various attitudes. Have not range checked the gasser yet.

On caveat however, and this is true of all 2.4GHz systems, they will not work well installed where your aircraft is covered in flight metal, metallic paint or a lot of carbon-fiber as these materials tend to mask the 2.4 signal. So, I am now trying to decide to paint my Stearman fuse metallic silver (as planned) then keeping that aircraft on 72MHz (ahh, the beauty of modules right??) or changing paint so I can run 2.4. I haven't decided yet. So, 2.4 is just not going to be for everything; choices and/or trade-offs will need be made.

So this is my .05 here. As "they" say - "your mileage may vary"!!!

Dan

garys 05-25-2007 02:10 AM

Dan,
I wouldn't be so concerned about metallic silver paint. I just flew two pylon racers (one Q500 and one FAI F3D racer) over the weekend with my 6EX FASST system. Both airplanes are primarily silver, with a lot of carbon in the nose, which goes about half way back into the wing saddle area, ending right where the RX was mounted. Ranged checked both powered down over 300 feet (didn't reach their limit, could've gone farther), and flew them almost out of site without any issues.
GS

bruce88123 05-25-2007 07:50 AM

ORIGINAL: dant-RCU

On caveat however, and this is true of all 2.4GHz systems, they will not work well installed where your aircraft is covered in flight metal, metallic paint or a lot of carbon-fiber as these materials tend to mask the 2.4 signal. So, I am now trying to decide to paint my Stearman fuse metallic silver (as planned) then keeping that aircraft on 72MHz (ahh, the beauty of modules right??) or changing paint so I can run 2.4. I haven't decided yet. So, 2.4 is just not going to be for everything; choices and/or trade-offs will need be made.

So this is my .05 here. As "they" say - "your mileage may vary"!!!

Dan
The people from Flite-Metal disagree with you and have run some tests that back them up.

http://004edc4.netsolhost.com/fm__spread_spectrum.htm

dant-RCU 05-25-2007 08:08 AM

Garys and Bruce:

Thanks for the update on metallic paint and the link to the flight metal test. My information was what Futaba reps stated with regard to Flight Metal, metallic paint and carbon fiber.
I suppose it is possible their statement was a "CMA" type of thing. Hard to argue with the testing the people at Flight Metal did and garys actual experience with a 6EX.

I will "rethink" my position on this.

Thanks again.

Dan

RTK 05-30-2007 10:03 PM

Bought one today. Put it in a electric Katana and flew it 3 times with no problems. Last two times out to the field with my ppm radio I was hit every flight, not today.
I can't wait for the 12 or 14 to come out.

richrfl 10-08-2007 06:09 PM

Dan, your observation about price/flaps functionality does not make too much sense. Just take one second to think about all previous Futaba 6 channel radios. Same (or higher ) price on product launch, with variable flap set up. No doubt about, Futaba came with a cheap amd fast solution to challenge Spectrum. However the difference in price between a pot and a switch is just a few cents, considering the production volumes. On the other hand, the person that decided to use a switch over a knob, probably never flew a plane with flaps, otherwise, as you suggested, at least it would fit a three position switch, given that take off and landing take different flap set ups. I fix the deal, although not tested yet, by using the PMX, and "killing" the chan 5, to get two flap positions, but I hope that if some geeck was able to tamper the iphone, we will have some other geeck to do the same and change the two position switch for a pot. Unless Futaba produces different processors for each Transmitters ( up to 9 channels), (very expensive indeed)., the ch6 input should be analog, like ch 1 to 4 and therefore the setting of either a two position switch or a pot, should be a matter of "jumping" the resistor in the PC board, (difficult, but not to one that saw how it looks a cell phone PCB) with the external resistor(s).
In short, Futaba brought, in my view, the very best radio link solution, but a downgraded functionality and appearance user interface box.
Richard

bruce88123 10-08-2007 09:52 PM

It's their VERY basic intro level 2.4 radio system. If you want more the 7C is just a few dollars more and a lot more capable.

richrfl 10-09-2007 06:51 AM

Bruse, sorry, I do not buy that excuse. How it comes that suddenly (considering the previous radio equipment from Futaba), a 6 CH is a VERY BASIC UNIT? I fair marketing WOULD NOT advertise Flaps functionality with an on-off switch. Excuse me, but a VERY BASIC product, is the one that fits a VERY BASIC airplane: throttle, ruder, aileron, and stab. Probably, back in the 40's flaps functionality was achieved with an on-off switch. If you think I am wrong, then give your own definition of a Basic Airplane and Radio. Let me tell, you. I am a Futaba guy, all my radios are 6 CH, and I am really disappointed with this product's functionality, and there is not way that any one can justify either a new definition of flap functionality or "basic product" with more than 4 ch, and by the way, who needs to buy 7 ch to make flaps work as they should? Excuses for a bad judgment in the product definition are not acceptable from a company that have lead the RC market for so many years. That seems to be one more mistake in making the Chinese to define product specifications. Cheap and out of practical sense. That is their "trade mark".

bruce88123 10-09-2007 10:29 AM

Kind or arrogant to assume they should build it with a pot just to please YOU. What about the people that prefer a simple switch? Then they would complain. It has to be one or the other and they made a choice. Buy it or not, that's YOUR choice. IMO I believe the 7C has a pot and a lot more additional feature for just a few dollars more. I'd suggest purchasing it when available.

JCINTEXAS 10-09-2007 11:49 AM

Question is: "When is the 7C 2.4 FAAST going to be available?"
I've had one on order for near 2 months.
The release date keeps getting pushed back. They now are saying "late November".
I was hoping to fly it before winter.
As for the "carbon fibre" or metal paint issue.
I've range-checked my 6C 2.4 and the RF link has remained solid even when the signal
had to penetrate through my car and the wall of my workshop.
Regards to all
JC

bruce88123 10-09-2007 01:01 PM

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

The release date keeps getting pushed back. They now are saying "late November".
I've range-checked my 6C 2.4 and the RF link has remained solid even when the signal
Regards to all
JC
I used to live in Houston. In your part of Texas winter is what 45-50 degrees on a bad day? All year flying.:)

richrfl 10-09-2007 06:27 PM

Bruce, do not mistake arrogance with common sense, and a few years of communication equipment as professional and model aircraft design as a hobby. I have not personal interest in Futaba, nor anyone else. Those that use one on off switch for a flap is because most probably their airplane and flight style are really simple. As you said, like a good Futaba sales person would, the election to buy is mine. Let me tell you, I bought the transmission technology, because I am sick of radio interference, not the features, but that does not justify an on-off operating flap. I will shut this off, because you brought this to personal, and my objective is to be technical, and bring something up that at the end of the day will benefit Futaba and its customers, if they are smart enough to think about it. Needless to say that I already brought the issue directly to Futaba, and I hope they are open minded, rather than stubborn folks. The good news about asians, is that they listen and use their brains to analyze and recognize their mistakes instead of giving excuses or trying to make people believe that it is actually an excellent feature to have an on-off flap operation. May be it happens that I actually bought a 4 ch system, and they gave me for free two useless on-off switches, all for a 6 ch price. You are right. I may be wrong after all. Have good flights.

bruce88123 10-09-2007 08:07 PM

ORIGINAL: richrfl

Bruce, do not mistake arrogance with common sense, and a few years of communication equipment as professional and model aircraft design as a hobby. I have not personal interest in Futaba, nor anyone else. Those that use one on off switch for a flap is because most probably their airplane and flight style are really simple. As you said, like a good Futaba sales person would, the election to buy is mine. Let me tell you, I bought the transmission technology, because I am sick of radio interference, not the features, but that does not justify an on-off operating flap. I will shut this off, because you brought this to personal, and my objective is to be technical, and bring something up that at the end of the day will benefit Futaba and its customers, if they are smart enough to think about it. Needless to say that I already brought the issue directly to Futaba, and I hope they are open minded, rather than stubborn folks. The good news about asians, is that they listen and use their brains to analyze and recognize their mistakes instead of giving excuses or trying to make people believe that it is actually an excellent feature to have an on-off flap operation. May be it happens that I actually bought a 4 ch system, and they gave me for free two useless on-off switches, all for a 6 ch price. You are right. I may be wrong after all. Have good flights.
I'm happy for your vast experience in the communications equipment field. All I have is an Electrical Engineering degree, 30+ years avionics experience including designing and building avionics test equipment and dealing with the top manufacturers in the avionics field and @ 30 years of RC flying. Yep, I can see where you are WAYYYY ahead of me and give you the nod. Arrogance wins. Oh yeah, I don't sell or rep for anyone either. I also don't whine.

phildflyer 10-12-2007 04:12 PM

Adding my 2 cents into the mix, I just upgraded to the FASST 6EXA after flying for a couple of years with the 6EXA 72 mg. system. It is because of the all of the radio interference I experienced at my field that the move was made. The 6EXA 72mg. does have a variable knob ch 5 for flaps. The change in the FASST system came about because the transmitter is used for Heli and Airplane use. Ch 5 for the heli, I believe is for Auto Rotation. The newest version of the 72 mg. 6EXA which has just been newly released has a two position switch for Ch 5 also. In this case it's just a matter of economics for Futaba. The FASST 6EXA is a good basic sports type transmitter. I am in the process of testing the new system and so far I have no problems. If you need to find fault with the 6EXA FASST system, I would have like a timer and separate rates for my control surfaces. Other than that it's a good basic system.

bruce88123 10-12-2007 04:26 PM

Seperate rate switches and a timer ARE 2 things I'd also ask for. Worth asking for IMO. I've used radios with flaps on pots and switches, didn't matter to me that much.

chris8105 10-14-2007 08:20 PM

Posted in wrong thread.

Radimani 10-20-2007 11:16 AM

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

Regards to all
JC

I think the T7C will be soon delivered since some body already has been trying to use it.
http://runryder.com/helicopter/t380569p1/