RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/)
-   -   2.4 Ghz - Failure rate comparaison between manufacturers (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-radios-transmitters-receivers-servos-gyros-157/6740110-2-4-ghz-failure-rate-comparaison-between-manufacturers.html)

le fou 12-10-2007 07:00 PM

2.4 Ghz - Failure rate comparaison between manufacturers

Hi,

I am still thinking of going 2.4 Ghz and I would like to have an idea if all the different equipment perform the same and/or if a specific manufacturer has more problems than the other ones. I am not trying to criticize manufacturers but to get objective data from the users.

Thanks for your input.

JCINTEXAS 12-10-2007 08:08 PM

RE: 2.4 Ghz - Failure rate comparaison between manufacturers

I am flying the Futaba 2.4 Ghz FASST and it has been perfect in all respects. I range-checked it a bunch before I flew it. The RF link is solid through the walls of my house and even when I place the receiver behind my car so that the RF signal has to penetrate completely through the vehicle. My advice to anyone who is considering the Futaba FASST is.......BUY IT.
Regards to all
JC
"I've got 3-green"

DougV 12-10-2007 09:05 PM

I'm flying with the Futaba FASST 6EX and now the 7C, with no problems.

-Doug.

onewasp 12-10-2007 09:41 PM

OVER one full year with Spektrum----Not so much as a twitch!

Really you won't find out anything with your Poll.
The FAAST experience is very new------the Over the counter Spektrum/JR is already over one year!

Look at your numbers to date----more FAAST than Spektrum and you know the population is HEAVILY tilted toward Spektrum at the moment. Answer = lots of new users trying to pick up the slack for Futaba (brand preference is fine-------just don't tell me that it is based upon experience).

In the case of 2.4GHz Futaba has had to play catch up so they don't really have the numbers out there yet.
Therefore IMO the Poll is worth-------not much I'm afraid,

From MY standpoint I don't know how you improve on perfection-----and that is what I've experienced for over a year. My feeling is obvious Spektrum/JR-------but you should make up your own mind and skip the unscientific surveys--------How to be dissatisfied ----- but with assurance!

Get whatever it is that you really want------because that is best for you.

If you wonder why I've left out XPS it is because they are a non player IMHO. If you don't have the whole package and the worldwide system to service it then you are in the roll of "add on" and that is the end of it.

Ed 12-10-2007 11:00 PM

Amen brother Waspy ! ;)

My DX-7 / AR-7000 combinations have been bullet proof for about a year now. Best control link with an airplane that I have ever experienced in 50 years of R/C flying.

Another Poll ( war ) , at this time is useless.

You pays your money, and you takes your choice. :D And good luck with it !

> Jim

patternflyer1 12-11-2007 07:40 PM

I'm not a futaba guy, but even I know that futaba has been doing the 2.4 ghz thing for a very long time. They aren't new to it.. Just new to us using it.. I do know that they have been at it for a very long time. It takes very little research to find this out.. But it's out there if you look. As for what I would buy, none yet. Spektrum doesn't have enough bells and whistles and the 12 fasst, may not either from what some have told me as compared to the 10x or any radio similar..
I fly Airtronics and I doubt we will ever have 2.4 ghz, lol.. Heck, I'd just settle for a new radio regardless.. haha

Flying Geezer 12-11-2007 09:51 PM

I just bought the Futaba 12FG and am waiting for the modules to come out. I expect all the systems will be satisfactory links, so I bought the system that I liked best in features and programing. I was probably influenced by my Futaba programing familiarity, too.

Most failure posts I have seen, seem to be user error. I think all the currently available systems will function satisfactorily. The XPS system seems to be superior in some ways, but, as an add on it may fall by the wayside in time. JMHO

pettit 12-13-2007 08:23 AM

I have been using all three systems for almost a year now with no problems at all.

Mostly large models with gas/ignition engines, but a few glow powered planes too.

rmh 12-13-2007 09:58 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

. Spektrum doesn't have enough bells and whistles
really?
I have yet to see a pattern plane where 6 channels is not enough.
The DX7 and some time spent practicing is all you really need but if you like to try and mix your way to results desired -then get a 14 channel -

Henna Ojisan 12-13-2007 10:56 AM

Interesting topic - will subscribe for grins... I have the 12FG and will pick up the FAAST module when available...

DadsToysBG 12-13-2007 12:43 PM

This poll shows what sold the most and the least if you can believe the numbers. Dennis

JCINTEXAS 12-13-2007 02:51 PM

I'm not sure the response of "I lost an aircraft using Brand X, on whatever frequency" means anything.
I lost airplanes on 27 Mhz way back in the old days.
I lost several airplanes on 6 meters (53 Mhz).
I've seen airplanes "lost" on 72 Mhz.
This doesn't show it was a radio malfunction, nor does it show there was a problem with any particular brand of radio, or any particular frequency band.
I'm thinking all brands of today's RC systems are good and reliable equipment.
Regards
JC
"I've got 3-green"

wingster 12-13-2007 03:01 PM

I disagree, the relative failure rate among various manufactures is an indication of the reliability. However the data would be more reliable if the sample size was larger.

JCINTEXAS 12-13-2007 04:29 PM

ORIGINAL: wingster

"I disagree, the relative failure rate among various manufactures is an indication of the reliability. However the data would be more reliable if the sample size was larger."
We don't know if "aircraft losses" are due to radio failures or a long list of other causes including: pilot error, battery problems, "dumb thumbs", poor equipment installation, airframe failure....etc. I saw a crash caused by the pilot forgetting to turn on the receiver. I saw another crash caused by the pilot forgetting to plug-in his aileron servo when he mounted the wing. I saw another crash caused when the pilot made a field repair with 5-minute epoxy. He put epoxy on a cracked rudder and didn't notice it dripped down onto the elevator hingeline and glued his elevator in neutral. I saw a guy fly his model
into his own car. (right into the open tailgate of his station wagon) I saw a hawk attack a sailplane and tear off half the stabilizer-elevator. I've seen structural failures including wings breaking from G-loading, and firewalls that pulled completely loose from the plane in the air. Quite a sight to see the engine, nosewheel and still connected fuel tank flying through the air all by themselves.

I'm not sure I've ever seen an "aircraft loss" that was solely caused by a manufacturer's defective radio. (I'm NOT saying it never happens.) The radios now on the market are amazingly reliable, IF they are properly installed and maintained. The number of true "radio failures" is miniscule compared to crashes caused by human error.
Regards
JC
"I've got 3-green"

Flying Geezer 12-13-2007 05:53 PM

Ditto, JC. I have seen pilots roll into the ground while turning on final blame it on the radio, when they stalled. Same on landing. Most stalls at low altitude get blamed on the radio.

The only way to get a true failure rate is to only count failures that have been verified by sending the equipment in for service and getting a service report.

patternflyer1 12-13-2007 10:11 PM

Your funny Dick.. I didn't say I mix my way to results.. For such a knowledgeable person I would think you could have got that from my post, but I guess not.. I like options for all of my different planes and heli..
Nice comment though.

Chris

d_wheel 12-14-2007 08:51 AM

I use all 3. Your poll does not allow me to vote on more than 1.

Later;

D.W.

BalsaBob 12-14-2007 10:05 AM

Yes, I agree with JC. 'Radios' usually take the wrap/blame unless the cause of the crash is very obvious/evident ....... and ..... the cause of the crash is hardly ever obvious/evident. Bob

rmh 12-14-2007 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: patternflyer1

Your funny Dick.. I didn't say I mix my way to results.. For such a knowledgeable person I would think you could have got that from my post, but I guess not.. I like options for all of my different planes and heli..
Nice comment though.

Chris
It was a bit sharp - once upon a time I tried all kinds of things to "improve pattern models -ended up with simple setups -which flew better .

DadsToysBG 12-14-2007 10:49 AM

There is no way a company can test everything against everything. They state the how and way of their system and it's up to the end user to make it work with the equipment you already have. If your stuff doesn't work you find some that do. End of story. Dennis

Stick 40 07-09-2008 04:59 PM

I had a issue with my Jr 9303 with my first elect plane, turned out I had the reciever too close to the esc and battery. Once I moved it back towards the middle of the plane it was great.

I agree, just because a plane goes IN does not mean it was the radio. I would like to blame all my crashes on the radio!!!!!!:D

Flying Geezer 07-09-2008 05:33 PM

You didn't have the receiver too close to the ESC. You probably had the ESC too close to the receiver.:D

Makes about as much sense as most of this thread.[:o]

049flyer 07-09-2008 05:56 PM

Why no Airtronics 2.4 in your poll?

TLH101 07-09-2008 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: 2fast

Why no Airtronics 2.4 in your poll?
Old thread.
The poll was actualy started just as the Airtronics 2.4 was begining to be released.

SoCalSal 07-09-2008 09:41 PM

XPS in my Multiplex EVO9 8 months no problems not one
Futuba 12FG 2 months no problems not one.